Newbies

crab bait

Captain
Re: Newbies

i've seen just as many experianced but holes on the water as well as NEWBES.. sometimes newbes are alot more cautious.. i know i was....

ehenry

Commander

OK, lets drop the Newbie label and call them inconsiderate boaters. How about that??

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

There you go; now I can talk about inconsiderate idiots. And for the most part they are on PWCs. Loud, make a lot of wakes, and clog our lakes and rivers. It's like giving everyone a motorcycle instead of a car. I'm not saying they all are bad but most of them are young punks who just want people to see them show off. I never bought any of my boats for that purpose. Is this what we want our lakes to end up like; one big redneck fest! I am afirm believer in BOATPOOLING. It leaves more lake to enjoy. :mad:

Mary Bucklew

Cadet

Another comment, from a self admitted newbie. I was out Mem Day weekend on Indian River Bay in DE, with my 19 foot deckboat, F100 yamaha... and I can tell you, the seadoos and PWs look to have no clue that they are operating in crowded space. I am jittery enough watching out for the big guys, 360 degrees... These skates come outta nowhere, and I fear for us all. As a newbie, I know from USCG courses I am resp for what happens, but I fear trying to second guess some hotshot who isnt paying attn to anyone but his buddies.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boy this is an old thread but since it's going again. :D I was at a boat yard yesterday, checking out some boats, that are being auctined off. 2 of the 5 or so wave runners they had for sale, were from the same rental company. It seems they ran into each other - pretty much head on - they were in tough shape.Don't know how the riders fared. :eek:

mattttt25

Commander

yeah, i know. very old thread. but i just read an article in this month's boating magazine that touches on the original topic.<br /><br />the vast majority of boating accidents do not involve old salts (good at what they do) or newbies (very careful), but instead involve those with 3-5 years boating experience.<br /><br />interesting. probably encompasses the majority of people on this board.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

mattt... how did you ever dig this up?<br /><br />Notice I said how, not why.<br />It was a good re-read.<br /><br />Also applies to snowmobiles.

mattttt25

Commander

was just using the search feature, trying to find something, and the topic caught my attention (because of the article i just read).<br /><br />i think it's the truth. everyone likes to bash newbies and complain it's them causing problems on the waterways, but it's usually the guy that has been boating for a few years and thinks he knows everything. the article i had recently read confirmed it.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

JB,<br /><br />"BTW, what war? My Great Grandfather commanded a Union ship on the blockade of NC, even though he was appointed to the Navy by Sam Houston."<br /><br />I think referance was being made to the War of Northen Agression. :D <br /><br />Save Your Dixie Cups, The South Will Rise Again!<br /><br />As to the topic of discussion, Newbis might make mistakes out of ignorance, Non-Newbies out of arrogance. Ignorance can be corrected but have had no luck with the arrogant types.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Providing a craft with horsepower doesn't scare me even with newbies. Having enough horsepower to provide the umph to do what many new boaters want is a good thing. Buying a boat and running down to the ramp and getting to the water with NO experience, knowlege, or understanding of edicate, rules of the road, seamanship, etc.<br /><br />Taking a course through the USCGA or THE POWER SQUADRON, should be mandatory. You should also recieve a temporary license much like they do with cars. After you have demonstrated that you understand a minimum to maintain a safe environment for the new boater and all those who share the waterways and ramps with them.<br /><br />Jet skis, what can I say. They are the most dangerous and abused piece of equipment on the water. They have done some of the most stupid, dangerous, discourtious, inconsiderate, and damaging actions I have ever witnessed. I am a conservative but these clowns (not everyone) make me want to impose regulation to make them vitually impossible to own. To say that the jet ski inspires proper seamanship is a joke. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />Education (lack of), not horsepower, is what scares me the most..

Ralph 123

Captain

Ah comeon guys have some faith. My first boat was (is) a 28' Formula with twin 350s and I haven't done all that much damage except to my wallet, back and some big stripers! :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I see so many inexperienced boaters on my lake piloting their daddy's boat at WOT everywhere they go that I have grown numb to it. Thankfully I have gone out, fished, done my thing, and I am back at my dock before the knot-heads get out there (for the most part). By far, the worst offenders here are the ski/wakeboard boats. There have been just enough deaths/injurys to the PWC owners so they are okay, but the ski/wakeboard boats just cruise around and expect everyone else to scatter like roaches when you turn the lights on. I guess it is the attitude that if you spend $45,000 on a boat, everyone else is irrelevant. I especially like it if I am in a spot trying to fish and a ski boat just comes in there and goes around in circles within 75 feet of me. We have 44,000 square acres of lake, go somewhere else...Oh well, like I said, I try to be off the lake before they get out there....