Commemorative Air Force

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
(Formerly "Confederate AirForce") I've been looking at their websites and they have a very impressive collection of "servicable" aircraft from the WWII era.<br /> http://www.commemorativeairforce.org <br /> http://www.confederateairforce.org <br /><br />Has anyone here been to their airshows ? They must be amazing.<br /><br />In NZ we have the "Warbirds" who restore and maintain similar aircraft, mainly fighters and I've been to some of their airshows. The Warbirds have in their collection a Spitfire, a P51D Mustang, Catalina - amongst many others. It's great to see the old planes flying and hear the sound of those engines (can a V12 Supercharged Merlin be compared to anything?).<br /> http://www.nzwarbirds.org.nz/ <br /><br />We have an Avro Lancaster at our Auckland Museum of Technology, but unfortunately it's not in flying condition. I'd love to see that fly one day - apparently there's one that does in London. I can only imagine the sound of 4 Merlins running together...<br /><br />Those B17's, B24's and B29 must be an impressive sight too.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Commemorative Air Force

Ahoy, Kiwi.<br /><br />I haven't been to any of their airshows because I can't abide crowds, but I have visited their museum at Midland, TX several times and taken one of my Grandsons.<br /><br />I always leave in tears from the memories thus awakened.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

crab bait

Captain

not nary a thing.. that sound KIWI , your rite there's nothin' like it & there's no mistaken it either.. it's is beautiful thing !!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB's post reminds me that while we admire the machines themselves, we must not lose sight of the huge tragedy associated with their creation and use.<br /><br />With that said, one of the aspects of WWII that continues to inspire me is the HUGE amount of international cooperation and teamwork, involving a gigantic number of people that went into the single goal of fighting tyranny. The mamoth effort from the mighty industries that converted themselves from peacetime persuits to produce huge quantities of airplanes, tanks, ships, ammunition etc - so quickly. The engineers and technologists that developed new types of airplanes, bombs, radar, etc in such a timely manner as to outpace the enemy. The service personel who bravely put their lives on the line and those who paid the ultimate price.<br /><br />There are endless quantities of fascinating heroic and tragic stories that came out of that time. Without doubt a time of huge tragedy, but also one of massive achievement.

ehenry

Commander

My dad was a B-24 pilot based in Australia. He flew missions in the Pacific. ANYWAY, we went to a Conferderate Air Force air show in Jackson, MS. Pop got to talking to the owner/pilot of the B-24 there and was invited to go up and take the controls when they made their fly by of the airfield. I wish I could have gone and seen my dad's face. He's 84 now and was 22 or 23 I think when he was a pilot in the war. Its something he's never talked about to any of us. When I was 23 flying bombing missions never crossed my mind. I can't explain the respect I have for the men and women that fought and gave their lives for us all to have our freedom. Anyway thats my little story.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

EfHenry<br /><br />The American forces who fought and defended the Pacific are still remembered and held in the highest regard in these parts.<br /><br />During the time our region came under threat, most of our troops were already fighting in Africa and Europe. The Americans were largely responsible for the defence and security of the Pacific. We will never forget that.

ehenry

Commander

62_Kiwi, I know Pop appreciates those kind words. He's been back twice since the war. Once he went with his older brother to take his wifes ashes back to the family station and again to take his brothers ashes to be with his wifes. My uncle's wife was from down there. He took my mother with him on the second trip and they stayed for almost 2 months traveling around and visiting the places that Pop haunted when he was a young man. It was my mothers first time to leave the country and I can't think of a better place to have taken her. They spent a few days in your country on their way home too. THey loved it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Say, Kiwi.<br /><br />I am reminded that when I visited En Zed in the fifties (still in uniform) I was treated by the natives as though I had personally rescued the nation from the Japanese threat.<br /><br />No medals, no certificates, no honors could match the feeling of representing the men and women who were there, and receiving the NZ gratitude and hospitality on their behalf.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

D

DJ

All,<br /><br />Great topic. I had the priveledge to attend the "warbirds spectacular" at the 1995 Osh Kosh air show. At that show, they had a reenactment of a bombing run featuring: 2-B-17G's, 1-B-24J, 1-B-29 (FiFi) and several B-25's. They were acompanied by P-51's, P-38's, P-47's flying "top cover".<br /><br />The sound of that was beyond description. It was truly awe inspiring. I personally saw WWII vets weep. They deserve that priveledge.<br /><br />When we speak of teamwork. How many know that the P-51 Mustang went from a drawing on a cocktail napkin to actually flying in 120 days. They beat the Government request by 60 days. No computers, CAD/CAM-none of that. Thanks to all of you Brit's out there for loaning us the wonderful V-12 Merlin engine, which really made the Mustang into a "world winning" fighter.<br /><br />My personal favorite fighter is the F-4U "Corsair". This bird flew longer than any Air Forces airplane (active duty) in history. It is now rivaled by the F-4 Phantom. Well into the Viet Nam conflict. Even though outclassed, it still served a purpose that no other could perform.<br /><br />Also, the B-24 is my favorite bomber. This was the most produced aircraft of WW-II. There were over 10,000 built. Ford Motor Co. built the majority of them. My father liked the Ford built planes because they all flew the same. There was consistancy in mass production. Now only ONE remains. What a shame. We SHOULD NEVER FORGET!<br /><br />My thanks to all of you vet's out there.<br /><br />JB, I can't begin to realize how proud you must have felt when you "revisited" those areas. Well done!

ehenry

Commander

djohns19, My dad gets together regularly with the ramaining members of his crew. They all came to his house last year for a small reunion. There are only 3 left. Pop hardly ever talks about their missions or anything that happened. I was able to get to talk to his crew members about their missions and they told me a few things. I learned a side of my dad that I never new existed. One of guys that came to his house was from Arizona. I'm sorry I don't remember his name. All I can tell you is my pop was based in Australia.

D

DJ

efhenry,<br /><br />That is really neat. My dad stayed in (SAC)until the Korean comflict broke out. He had to make a decision and I think my mother made it for him. Too much time not knowing where he was or when/if he was coming home.<br /><br />His crew (most of which was intact) went down in Korea-all lost.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB - I'm glad that you had the VIP treatment in NZ and hope you'll visit us again one day. From what I hear, the American servicemen were always very popular with the ladies!<br /><br />EfHenry - It's great that your father still gets together with his crew after all these years. I imagine that a very strong sense of comradeship would have been forged under those very "demanding" conditions.<br /><br />DJohns - Very sorry about your father's crew. That must have had a big effect on him. Bet you're glad he didn't opt in to Korea...<br /><br />I can't help but see the parallels between the Pacific campaign and what is happening today with the war or terrorism.