Good recipe for carp

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was takin a break at work with some of the other trades , where we always brought our hottest home grown peppers to pass around and dare each other with,and tell fishin and huntin storys.I was tellin about the time i had caught a huge carp on a plug one day and a friend had pressure cooked it and made carp patties witch put all salmon patties to shame, to my surprise. Then a plumber shared this recipe with us...<br /><br /> take 1 large carp, completly cover the carp with a thick coating of mud and place directly on the coals (or on the grill at home) cook 20 minutes on each side. Then scrape the mud off,throw the carp in the fire and eat that mud. :D

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Good recipe for carp

The recipe that has been passed down for generations in my family is: take a white pine board, a 2 by 12 slightly longer than the carp... coat the board in olive oil and set aside. Cut some ham into strips and stuff the inside of the carp with ham strips. Lay the carp on the oiled board and cover it with sliced potatoes, onions, and carrots. Sprinkle with salt. Slip board into a moderate oven and cook until carp is done then remove and let cool. <br /><br />Then throw away all engedients and eat the board. :D

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL thats a good 1 Warhorse,much better taste than hot mud hehe :p

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was watchin this fishin show on cable one day, one of those magazine sponsored shows. Anyway this show brought a "Professional Carp Fisherman" over the pond from England.<br /><br />He goes about catchin fish, hooks one that turned out to fairly big, 20" +, but he's "fightin it" saying this is a real fighter, she's really puttin up a fight. Well I've had plastic worms fight harder than this fish. The fish was just swimming in as he reeled in line, the rod didn't even bend. Than he released it, like we need to keep more of these out there, and it swam away with all the gusto of a turtle.<br /><br />Evidently Carp fishing in England is big like bass here. They have tournaments, special gear the works. And they like to eat them too; he shared a few of his favorite recipes. <br /><br />The only thing I ever knew Carp to be good for was to excite a kid when trying to get them interested in fishing. Easy to catch, easy to bring in and boy do those little kids eyes light up when they see the big fish they caught. I love seeing that! The tough part is explaining why we aren't takin it home to eat for dinner that night. Everyone I know has always considered them as "Trash Fish" and call them that too, they'll eat anything.<br /><br />Evidently one man's trash is another man's treasure. I guess it's like Catfish, some like it some don't. There are probably people that wouldn't think of eating Bass or Trout.<br /><br />Speaking of Carp, a while back I saw on the news an Asian Carp species some how got introduced into the Mississippi and they are flyin Carp, can fly right over a bass boat, they showed this on TV. People have been hit by them and hurt. They breed too fast for the few predators that eat them. They have no commercial value here or where they came from and the folks in charge don't know what to do with them. Maybe some of you folks that fish the Ol Miss can update me on this, I haven't heard anything about this fish since then. Are they still flyin in your boat and are they really out of control?<br /><br />I guess Carp are there for a reason, the kids, the folks that like them. I always see one or two Carp fisherman on the banks at the lake nearby. I never asked them about their passion. I just don’t want one on my line.<br /><br /> :D :D :D

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They make great bait for bear, good fertilizer and actually, I have eaten them smoked and pickled. Very boney but meat not bad if taken from cold clean water and soak em in salt water first.

D

DJ

I always thought you were supposed to "marinate" them in TCW-3. Cook over an open flame and serve with a Quicksilver gear lube based sauce.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Folks,<br /><br /> The thought of eatin' carp is something I used to put in the category of "disgusting things". But after djohn's recipe, I'm ready to break out my cast iron sauce pan. Yuuuuuuuuuum! :D