Mechanic/Doctor Debate

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
My son is 15 and is trying to figure out what he wants to do for a living. He told me that he wants to be a mechanic. I told him that it would be better being a doctor. He said that there isn't as much to learn to be a mechanic. After being a service technician for the past 20 years I have found that there is more to learn in mechanics than that of a doctor. I explained to him that there are hundreds and hundreds of different models of engines, cars, boats etc. Each model has different parts, located in different places, the parts sometimes do different functions and sometimes if you screw up like a doctor, you will kill the thing your working on. And of course if your working on someones boat and kill it, you might as well have killed a family member. Doctors on the other hand have two models. Male and Female, all the parts are in their location, they do all the same functions and get paid more for knowing less.<br />So my son tells me that the patients life depends on the doctor. So I told him that don't you think that peoples lives depends on the ability of the mechanic. I know traveling a 70 mph I don't want the wheels to fall off my car, so in turn you have your life dependant on the mechanic as well.<br />I told him also that they both get their hands dirty, one may deal with grease while the other deals with blood and guts. So being a little smart butt, he had to say that a doctor takes risks with aids patients. So I had to tell him that being a mechanic has its risks too. Getting cut on sharp metal, car falling off jack stands, getting burnt on hot exhaust, and even affixiation if your not venting you work space properly. Plus the mechanic has to lift heavy tools and parts, the doctor, well I don't think they have to lift too much at all.<br />All in all, I feel that doctors have snowballed everyone in the expertise of knowledge that they must hold. Thus they feel more important than the common laborer, an put themselves above everyone. I am not saying all doctors are this way, there are a few good down to earth doctors that do not consider themselves above or below anyone else.<br />At this point my son still wants to be a mechanic like his dad. His reason that he tells me is this "Well Dad, when we are out on lake Erie and the boat breaks down, I can fix it on the spot for you without any cost to you". Thats okay, I will still keep my tow insurance paid up son! Because we all know that you can't walk to a parts house when your out on the water.<br />I am still going to let him decide on what he wants to do, but he needs to know the options available to him. If anyone has some input I would like to hear it and show him the response. Thanks Skippers, your the best at IBOATS!..... :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mechanic/Doctor Debate

I've often pondered this exact subject in my doctor's office, and have about come to the same conclusion as your son, I'm affraid....Except for one thing.., and that is his perception of his own self-worth.<br />The doctor makes far more money,and get's far more respect for his opinions.<br />The Wrench on the other hand, gets snickered-at daily,and his customers do not believe the "framus let-go, and went thru the whatsit,causing extensive damge to the whole assembly." Nor, do they believe or understand the cost. No, the funny thing is, when the Doctor does this, he is thanked and praised for his ability..Nobody even thinks about the cost.<br />And yet, I still agree with your son. I've seen many a doctor's and mechanic's boats. I know who owns them,and often ,thier profession. The Mechanic's boat is not behind his house at the dock..The doctors is. The mechanic can often be seen sitting behind the helm of hs boat,when it is at his dock. He seems to enjoy fnding a way to imrove his boat. The doctor never goes outside his back door, or so it would seem. When he does, it appears to be a chore to him.<br />Yes, a mechanic has a lot more fun,even tho he makes less than half of what the doctor makes.But he makes enough,and has weekends off,in more cass than the doctor.<br />JMHO

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Mayfloat! I'm with your son and 12Footer on this.. . all the way.<br /><br />The health care field is full of promise of high income, respect, prestige, etc. It takes eight years of college and more years of internship and residency to reach the threshold of: Paying back several hundred thousands in education loans, several hundred thousand a year in malpractice insurance premiums, 24-7-365 on call, being expected to be perfect. . . .no, being REQUIRED to be perfect.<br /><br />I have two daughters who are veteran RNs and one who ia a PT, each has a life partner who is an RN. All are over 40 and have been in their field for over 20 years. Of those six, who spend every working hour in the presence of MDs, not one would consider for a second becoming an MD. <br /><br />I have a lifelong love affair with machinery of any kind. Though I also taught electronics and computer science for many years, my real interest was almost exclusively how those technologies can be applied to making machinery work better.<br /><br />I consider myself a wrench who just happens to have a Ph.D. in Adult Education and did a lot of writing. We wrenches may not be on a pedestal like the MDs, but we have a life that can be LIVED.<br /><br />Everyone should do with their life what they do well and enjoy, except. . . well, then we wouldn't have any lawyers or accountants, would we?<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks JB and 12Footer for your input. After giving some more thought to the matter, I talked to my son last night. This was real constructive. I eventually plan to start a commercial kitchen equipment repair service in about 4 years. To my surprise, he is actually willing to become more of a service tech than an auto mechanic. Knowledge of both traits somewhat go hand in hand. He told me that he just wants to be a typical teenager and be able to trick his own car out. My father was a auto body/mechanic til he died 20 years ago. Growing up in that atmosphere it had given me the mechanical know how to repair almost anything. So long story short," The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree!" So I guess it is only natural that he wants to follow my footsteps. So our plan is now, when he turns 16, I will start taking him on calls with me to get On Job Training. Planning to get him enrolled in some technical training also. From my view point of his present abilities, he is all thumbs that is coated with grease. It is going to take some work to teach him to think out of the box and use better eye hand cordination than that of video games.<br /><br />I wish to thank you both for the best advice and ability to care about other people. The posts that you have answered have proved that this is what Americans are all about. You have a Merry Christmas and a New Year. :)