What welding method to use?

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
On a project car a Chrysler LeBaron convertable with a 2.2L turbo there was one or more exhaust leaks by the manifold and turbo. Removed head , ex manifold, and turbo. Many broken studs to replace. Milled turbo facing to exhaust manifold but did not mill exhaust manifold facing. Everything back together and leaking. DON'T want to undo everything. IS there a silicone that won't burn off or a way to weld the the two plates at the leak? TIG MIG or BRAZING !

petryshyn

Commander
Re: What welding method to use?

Is it leaking between turbo flange and manifold? if so, atleast remove turbo and "draw file" the manifold flange.<br />I hope you're not considering welding turbo to exhaust manifold!<br />No "snake oil" sealant I'm aware of that will withstand exhaust temp...<br /><br />Good luck!! :eek:

mrnobody

Seaman Apprentice

actually<br />there is a silicone that will withstand head to exaust temp.<br />we use it on manifolds in our shop for that very reason. any silicone that is o2 sensor safe will do the job.as Schematic said do make shure that the ehaust doughnut is in place without defect at the exaust to turbo flange.<br />just a well learned .02 worth.<br />Louis

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

MrNobody.....<br />I have been looking into this for another reason and the highest temp rating I can find is 700 degrees (Permatex). Fine for a pipe, but turbos are capable of temps of 1200+. I have used liquid steel, but it doesn't release once it has hardened but it is good for a permanant repair.<br />I would appreciate the name and manufacturer of the product that you are using if possible.<br />Thanks in advance,<br />Mike<br /> :)

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

Remove the turbo and draw file as schematic<br />has said when you get it flat use two<br />gasket on. <br />that should seal it.<br />Rex

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

I'msorry about this.<br />To file flat put the file in the plam<br />of your and the middle of the file there<br />that well make you can get as fat as <br />possible.<br />rex

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

To get to the flange on the exhaust man, the turbo has to be removed by spliting it or taking off the head to get it out. By sealing up one side of the 4 sided flange the leak stops. Liquid steel sounds good or a thick coating of a copper coloured silicone that I have has the best anti- burn from the auto store. Years ago there were brazing rods that were tops for steel.

petryshyn

Commander

sony2001<br />I sure would be interested to hear the temp rating of that silicone based sealant.<br /><br />Turbo's often glow red in the dark.....Thats even bordering brass welding temp....<br /> :eek:

petryshyn

Commander

sony<br /> another way out is to loosen the turbo and pry it away from manifold just enough to slip in 2 gaskets. You may have to modify the gaskets(cut bolt hole areas off)<br /><br />just a thought.......Good luck!<br /><br /> :)

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

The silicone is good only to 700 F. Looking at the liquid steel at the auto store but they didn't have a maximum temp written on the package. Exhausts can go from 1100 to 1250 F if I remember right.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

If I was to slip a gasket in what type of material is the best for high temperatures? Would two gaskets be better than one? It should be a lot easier with the new stuts in place.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

The last word is I'll try the liquid steel after Xmas. Now to find one boasting of temperature and pressure not just one or the other. :D ;)

petryshyn

Commander

hello sony2001<br /><br />can't you use the OEM gasket? If you prefer to cut one, exhaust gasket material is available at any auto supplier. I admit its a little hard to work with, but it'll outlast liquid steel. I'd use a new OEM gasket.....<br /><br />merry christmas!! :)

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

OEM didn't put a gasket just two milled surfaces but with time and humidity they corrode from the inside if they sit too long. Market value is $3500.00 and I'm getting close to that. Maybe someone will buy it in the spring and thus allow me to find an older Bayliner 18 with CC and a 4 cylinder Volvo inboard. Mine has the 125 Force.

petryshyn

Commander

Then I guess I'd use the generic gasket material. Its hard to cut because it has a metal substrate, but it will last....Its about 1/8" thick, so 1 will do....<br /> ;)

mrnobody

Seaman Apprentice

i have posted 2 replys and neither have posted.<br />i have used permatex orange with the copper in it in our shop here in ogden.<br />i presently have it on my nissan 88 v-6 pathfinder i have had a problem keeping the exaust flange from leaking i put factory gaskets on it twice (no easy feat) then my boss told me to use permatex orange 40,000 miles ago. still not leaking. i have used it on this car that you want to use it on with the 2.2L turbo the customer hasn't come back. <br /><br />i have now used it on several cars from chevy to volkswagon with great sucess.<br /> <br />sorry about the delay in responding MGuckin but i have been out of town and such. i hope you understand. :cool:

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

MrNobody....<br />Not a problem with delay.<br />The product you are using is (I believe) the same 1 that I was talking about. It is rated from 75 - 700. RTV Ultra with copper. I have located a plastic cement, (used in kilns) that will withstand temps of 1700 F. but not the vibrations. Cracks easily and shrinks. <br />Sony, hopefully you have worked out something to solve your problem. As schematic says, 2 gaskets should work.<br />Is what I use on my headers which are known for warping and blowing gaskets.<br />Merry Xmas Yall<br /> :)