River Hazards

harringtondav

Commander
This deadhead emerged yesterday. Our slough is just off the Mississippi main channel. The river has dropped 3.5' in five days. I saw boats cruising over this thing earlier. I learned the hard way to keep to center channel in sloughs years ago. That's why I only use aluminum props. I haven't broken out the binoculators, but I bet this prop eater has scars.

IMG_20200811_182952585.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but exactly what is it? I can't tell from the picture? And is it movable while it is surfaced?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
A big ole nasty deadhead, waiting rip out the bottom of someone's boat... sometimes they are floaters, but often it's a huge branch or a whole tree lodged in the river bed.

harringtondav

Commander
Sorry, but exactly what is it? I can't tell from the picture? And is it movable while it is surfaced?

JASinIL2006 nailed it. It's a large tree that floated down during a flood. As he also mentioned the waterlogged submerged logs floating below the surface are a greater hazard. Dead head trees normally attach close to bank where it's shallow. Center channel navigation will clear most. But the floating deadheads can get you anywhere after a major flood.

southkogs

Staff member
A good rain here in Middle Tennessee will put 'em in the impounds ... right in the middle of the main channel. I've made a few spectacular turns :eek:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Fishing the Menominee river taught me about deadheads and floaters.... and a big rock ledge 300' out from shore 6" below the surface in 30' of water

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
JASinIL2006 nailed it. It's a large tree that floated down during a flood. As he also mentioned the waterlogged submerged logs floating below the surface are a greater hazard. Dead head trees normally attach close to bank where it's shallow. Center channel navigation will clear most. But the floating deadheads can get you anywhere after a major flood.

Seems to me there have been a lot more of this kind of stuff, especially the big floaters, in the water this year on the Mississippi. I don't know if the flooding from last year and early this year killed off a bunch of shoreline trees or what, but we've seen more large branches and trees in the river this year than in the past, even when there haven't been recent heavy rains.

dwco5051

Commander
Used to boat on a lake in Canada in the 1950's where they floated log booms to the sawmill at the end of the lake. Deadheads were every where. A good thing that a 10 hp Johnson on a 14' wooden Peterborough didn't go very fast.