Wearing a mask.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
required here in ontario. i know my employer is not allowing unscheduled visits and scheduled visits require a mask

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The wife and I had our usual 6 month teeth cleanings this morning and we entered with face masks. Everyone there was wearing a face mask. I was wondering exactly how they were going to clean our teeth with us wearing our face masks. Well after being checked for fever and signing a page full of questions and signing it, we were then told to wash our hands and use mouth wash before even getting into the lay-back chair.

The cleaning was nothing unusual except with a lot more protective equipment worn by the dental hygienist. I asked if they still had as many customers and they replied yes, no change with their usual customers. Yes we know all of them by first names and talked about how this was the most unusual experience we've ever experienced in our lives and that everyone was so ready to get back to "normal". But total safe normal again.

Oh, and neither of us had any cavities either... :thumb::thumb::bounce:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I haven't been inside a store in 2 months, with one exception when I had to use their restroom and even then I just went inside and was back out in a couple minutes.

When I do go out, I always have a mask. I take my hand sanitizer as well, even though I don't go inside stores, etc. My wife or stepson go inside and they always have masks and use hand sanitizer when they return BEFORE re-entering the vehicle.

We've seen folks wearing full on gas masks going in and out of stores.

I'm looking into buying a small respirator for myself. It's expensive at $70 and looks like an athletic supporter. :rolleyes:

BTW - I read that hand sanitizer breaks down or loses effectiveness if kept in temperatures over 105 degrees Farenheit, so I keep it inside at home and tote it along when we venture out.

My wife has spent almost 10 weeks in "home isolation" plus 10 days in full isolation since the beginning of this pandemic. There were 3 teachers over the last month who tested positive for Covid-19. She's had ENOUGH of people not being safe, so she's now fully prepared herself.

She went back to work this morning wearing a hair protector plus this other gear. :painkiller:

PPE.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah, who in today world does not realize they are getting recorded???

tpenfield

Staff member
yeah, who in today's world does not realize they are getting recorded???

So true . . . The Admiral and I were discussing getting a new mattress for her mother, since she is having back pain. A couple hours later, I log into my Facebook page . . . a bunch of mattress Ads pop up :eek: :facepalm:

I guess they heard us talking :rolleyes:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Smart TV's and your smart phone and even the typical computer internet can so easily be recording thing you don't even know about.

I think it is funny when I buy something via internet, days or even weeks after, I get bombarded with adds for what I just bought. Tell me they are not scanning everyone...

DeepCMark58A

Commander
gm280 , from what I have read, studied, and the "official" response of my insurance carrier, the short answer is, yes, it CAN be transferred that way, but it is not LIKELY. It generally takes a lot more handling than that to put enough of the virus on a surface to transfer to another. And although it was tested in a lab to live from several hours to several days in a lab, they have found that in the real world it is not as hearty as initially thought.

If we, as a whole country ... and world, develop better hygiene, this thing is beatable.

That and lose the obesity.

aspeck

Staff member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uWfk3FI1Yxo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well they always said that necessity is the mother of invention. Bravo for him! :laugh:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wanna see him munch corn on the cob, ribs or fried chicken. How long before a mask bib is patented? LOL

bassman284

Commander
Yup. I saw a news report this morning that the vaccine may not work very well on obese people.

I think I'm in trouble! :faint2:

Since there is no vaccine at this point, how would they know who it will work on? In fact, we don't know yet whether there ever WILL be a vaccine. There is some evidence (not much, but some) that having the disease does not make you immune to the disease which bodes ill for vaccine possibilities.

I think we're all in trouble but keep hopin'.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Since there is no vaccine at this point, how would they know who it will work on? In fact, we don't know yet whether there ever WILL be a vaccine. There is some evidence (not much, but some) that having the disease does not make you immune to the disease which bodes ill for vaccine possibilities.

I think we're all in trouble but keep hopin'.

Vaccines are on the horizon. Won't be too much longer and they'll start getting fully approved. And I've heard about the lack of "permanent" immunity from having the disease itself or from a vaccine.

But hey, if I need to go in every 6 months for a booster shot, that's fine by me!

Vaccine updates:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I think it is funny when I buy something via internet, days or even weeks after, I get bombarded with adds for what I just bought. Tell me they are not scanning everyone...

I wish there was a one click solution to 'hey internet i bought this now quit'

I'm conflicted about the internet and tracking - it sure is nice to have all those suggestions and stuff, but creepy. That said - how many of us can go to the store, doctor, vet, moms, etc and NOT bring a phone. Try it, i do it often.

Remember the 80s? its cool.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well redneck joe, both the wifey and I have our own phones. However, I bet in the few years I have had mine, I haven't made maybe 15 phone calls for three or four years ownership. And I so many times leave my smart phone home. I certainly don't answer any phone in the SUV. My wife's phone is connected through the SUV and we can answer or ignore any call that comes through. Usually ignore is the winner... I see so many people out and about with their phones glued to their ears and are oblivious to anything around them. And even sadder are the huge numbers of people with their phones to their ears or texting and driving. Yes our state has a law against both those issues, but seems people think those laws are for everyone else. You can always tell when one lane move when the light turns green and the other lane has someone a few cars back sitting there until someone blows their horn at them to go!