Comet Neowise

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Anybody paying any attention to the comet? It won't be back for 6,800 years. I certainly won't be around then! :p

My family and I finally got a look at it tonight. Skies were finally clear of clouds. It was very faint because of the hazy atmosphere here. But we finally made it out with our naked eyes. Just a faint triangular smear below the Big Dipper.

My little 7x binoculars helped quite a bit though.

Tried to get pix with my new 30x camera but it just didn't see the thing. Or the Big Dipper either! :facepalm: :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I hadn't been following that picture thread. But that pic of a comet is pretty cool. I can't tell if it was photo shopped or not though. :noidea:

Tomorrow is closest approach for the comet and we're hoping that the weather will cooperate. It's a long shot since we're in our summer pattern here. Storms are common around dark. If we DO get a chance to see it, I'll set up a tripod so that my boy can use his 60x telescope to get a look.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have a few friends that are big into photography. one of them has a full-spectrum converted Nikon and took some fantastic shots posted on facetube.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I did stay up to photograph Hale-Bopp Comet years ago, but haven't try to see this one.

The real story though should be that no one knew anything about this comet until just recently when it was spotted. Meaning, it had to get real close before it was spotted. Makes you feel real good knowing that doesn't it? Knowing there could easily be other things headed this way that we know nothing about as well, until it is headed straight for us... :eek:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here are shots from my friend Davids facetube

commet-3.jpg

Attachments

• commet-2.jpg
    commet-2.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 0
  • commet-1.jpg
    commet-1.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I hadn't been following that picture thread. But that pic of a comet is pretty cool. I can't tell if it was photo shopped or not though. :noidea:

not shopped, just effects added like the ones below.

Not sure what camera he has but he loves it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We had cloudy skies last night, so no view. And tonight is supposed to be the same. :rolleyes:

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Comets were once looked upon as harbingers of doom....it picked a good year to visit!