2020 NFL/NCAAF News and Nonsense

WIMUSKY

Staff member
NFL plans on having a full schedule. Training camp starts on the 28th. I believe some rookies have already reported. They're also looking for a better plan, or, a plan for better testing and the what ifs....

NCAAF is playing within their own conference, no non conference games. A little silly to me since the B1G has to travel from the Mississippi to the east coast. And extra few games won't make a difference as far as Covid if that's what they're thinking.

NBA is in their bubble at Disney, 3-4 months. We'll see how that plays out. Speaking of which, Lebron's rookie card sold for $1.8m! If I saw ESPNs ticker correctly.

MLB is currently playing exhibition ball. Opening nite on the 23rd. 60 games this season.

It's going to be tough to keep the close contact sports going for their season, NFL, NCAAF and NBA. Alot droplets will be flying around....

NASCAR, PGA and MLB should be fine.

It's going to be an interesting fall....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully all the teams stay COVID free this year ..
‘Our QB coming in at # 27 on the list .. Hoping for more “ Minshew Mania “ this year .. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Had to fix one - 29. Dwayne Haskins, R̶e̶d̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s̶ TBD

DeepCMark58A

Commander
They are pretending that there is going to be a season, I do not believe that there will actually be a season.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have guarded optimism...... If they do start, I feel they'll have to shutdown early. We shall see....

GA_Boater

Today the NFL and NFLPA agreed to daily testing for 2 weeks going to every other day depending how the 2 weeks go. What happens when a positive test pops up. Given huddles, does the rest of the offense or defense go into quarantine or the whole team? When the season starts, will that count as a forfeit or postponement.

More questions than answers.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m going to lean towards the glass being half full ! :joyous:

GA_Boater

News or nonsense - You decide. AB is retiring again saying the risk is too great. Who is he with now? Oh nobody.

Might have something to do with his decision;

“A source said Antonio Brown recently got close to settling his case with Britney Taylor and scheduled a mediation but then backed out of it,” ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler on Monday reported. “That’s the second time he’s gotten close to settling, then publicly hinted at retirement shortly thereafter.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2020/07/nfl-rumors-antonio-brown-backed-out-of-sexual-assault-settlement/

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There are going to be more asterisks splattered on every page of stats for every sport. All major sports from The PGA to The Pro Bowlers Tour will all be played at the same time of the year. I'm already confused and the games haven't started yet. Some start with play offs, NHL, they will play in 2 arenas in Alberta, Edmonton and Calgary, I think. The Toronto Blue Jays home stadium is in Buffalo NY, I think. A 1 game pre season for the NFL, as of today, check back tomorrow. Has the NBA decided what LeBron is going to do? OK I'm confused again.

GA_Boater

Super Bowl, Games 7 of the World Series, NBA final and Stanley Cup and final of March Madness - All occurring on a Wednesday in February along with the Little League World (or a small part of the World) Series plus squeezing in the Olympics. Gonna be a busy day covered with asterisks. If we're lucky the NFL will drop the Pro Bowl.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Now the NFL has offered the Players Union 0 preseason games. Hasn't been accepted yet and is still on the table.

"SF" Giants manager and some players kneeled during the National Anthem. And it starts .

briangcc

Commander
As it stands today, I don't see the NFL starting...or at least lasting for any amount of time. Just look to FL to see how they're spiralling around the crapper when it comes to Covid cases.Sports that are supposed to be in a bubble can't there - MLS - and that's arguably less contact than in football. CA is threatening another lockdown as they're in a world of hurt. And that's not even mentioning states like TX or AZ.

Blue Jays are using the Buffalo Bison's stadium...whatever in heck they're calling it this year. Or at least that's the rumors circling right now on local TV.

I get the need for some sort of "normal" but couldn't that testing capacity being used for this be used to control Covid instead????

**Ohh and someone, anyone, take the darn Bills and Sabres out of NY would you please??? I'm tired of hearing "Rebuilding year". Been that way since the early 90's. 30 years of glorious sadness and utter disappointment is enough.

GA_Boater

Hey, Brian - This is a rebuilding year for all teams in all sports. But you ask a good question about all the sports testing;

I get the need for some sort of "normal" but couldn't that testing capacity being used for this be used to control Covid instead????

Back in the beginning NBA teams were testing everyone and getting almost instant results while the folks, us sponsor customers, paying the bills couldn't get tested and turnaround time for results has always been a problem.

NFLPA just announced 65 players have tested positive. That's almost a team and a half.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I do know Friday night I will be on the water kicking back on the pontoon listing to the Twins ballgame on the radio.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
:lalala: The glass is half full . The glass is half full ....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I was tested for the virus a few weeks ago here in Ontario, that's in Canada. Thankfully test was negative. To my surprise however the health care worker told me the test was only 70% accurate. That is a big maybe you don't have it. I haven't heard Dr. Fauci say anything about the accuracy of the tests. That's a lot of players and personnel allowed to play or work if they fall within that 30%. This entire thing has turned into a bad B direct to VHS movie.

What happens when a player or a worker with the team tests positive during their season, . Does the entire team and those that came in contact do a mandatory 14 day isolation? If so, and it should be so, there goes the entire season. I guarantee their will be many positive results. If anyone was thinking with their heads rather than the bottom line all sporting events and seasons will be cancelled for 2020/2021. But there is too much money , billions not millions, and employment at stake. Millions of workers world wide work around sporting events. I'm just glad I was born when I was and can't imagine what the world that our little ones are going to live in will look like.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
MLB and NBA start 1st. If they fail, the NFL will never get off the ground.

Speaking of NBA, 0 players tested positive since July 13th.

NFL players union agreed to 0 preseason and 80 player training camp roster....

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
NFL has decided only 80 players in camp rather then the 100 plus in the previous camps. I would think you need more players required in the case of players going down with positive tests. I think I've been drinking the Cool Aid. If there are positive tests amongst the roster that team isn't playing anyone.