Am I out of line?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
My wife thought I over reacted when a boat with 5 guys casting were bouncing lures off the pontoon and it ticked me off.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if they did it once, it was an accident. if they did it more than once, it was intentional

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Was it on purpose or just bad casting ?

If you can not cast accurately do not cast near others people property. If I take a hook to the boat cover I am going to be pissed. I am not an a-hole I do not think I own the water but a little common courtesy. Otherwise point out your dock for me.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If courtesy was common everyone would have it, that fish that might be hiding under your is way more important to them then being respectful to others. It's seems to be a growing problem everywhere

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
once or twice, inaccurate casting. More than that, targets bounce and they are as...oles. Having a large cruiser in a marina for several years, I've seen both.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check with your DNR or the regulating folks for the lake about the legality of maybe putting up a no fishing sign or their actions that could be destruction of private property.

Return the favor and fish off your dock. Either tangle a few lines or or bounce a 6 oz. sinker off their boat.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
what we did was to put a thin rope line up over the slip entrance that either sank to be invisible or inside a noodle to hook their bait secretly or obviously depending on one level of as....holedness. We had a sign at the two entrances that stated no fishing inside the marina but many folks did not heed that advice so we went a sunken rope. And a few times in the early morning i dropped the skivvies and pissed on their line as the cast in whilst holding a natty lite. But thats just me.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My wife thought I over reacted when a boat with 5 guys casting were bouncing lures off the pontoon and it ticked me off.

How exactly did you react? Did you voice your anger to your wife? Did you yell at the guys fishing? Did you go down to the dock and threaten them with a baseball bat? Did you pull a gun on them?

Really, what did you actually do? We can't tell if you overreacted or not unless we know that critical piece of information. :cool:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some times we react to what otherwise was a mere mistake. Seen it both ways. Some people like to fish around docks and I see no reason they shouldn't. But I have also seen people abuse such ideas and set up to fish a dock for the entire time. I have also seen dock owners get bent out of shape because they wrongly think the water all around their dock is theirs as well. And no telling how far out they claim such water either. So it goes both ways. If I. see a dock and the owner doesn't want me there, I leave. Never know how trigger happy they can bee, or what they are no to make them so angry at the time. Better be safe then being viewed in a casket. No fish is worth your life... JMHO

southkogs

Staff member
People fish under the dock at our family place from time to time. If nobody is out there at the dock, and they're not bothering our stuff - I figure why make a fuss. They have hit the hull of one boat or another from time to time. If the guys casting do that on accident, and it's not happening often, then it's no problem. But if you're just hearing bang after bang off the boat hull, then it's not out of line to ask them to change how their casting - or find someone else's boat to bang on.

I like to be a good neighbor. At the same time, I don't like my belongings unnecessarily beaten upon.

You have every right to post something asking folks not to fish under your dock. Not sure how close to the dock you can control, but your dock is your property I would think.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Again I am not complaining about people fishing around my dock I am complaining about a clown who's lure was casted and went over the canopy cover. I am not complaining about a lure bouncing off a pontoon. I stated before I do not think I own the water around my dock.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Must have been really windy or the guy was REALLY bad at casting .. :lol:
Maybe they were going after that elusive Flying fish ! :flypig:

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
nope, they were. I often fish around peoples docks, its my responsibility to not hit their stuff. also yes, ive bumped posts and pilings (things that wont be damaged) and even then felt bad. miss a cast by inches, sure, miss by a mile you are a moron, thumb the spool and if your losing it stop it...…

id have had some choice words. laying a floating rope out piling to piling will get you some new tackle.

sangerwaker

Commander
Agree with above. If you can't cast accurately, stay away from peoples docks. I understand we're all human, but when fishing around others personal property, extra care should be taken.

I'm hoping it never happens to me at our lake place. I might not be able to keep my cool if I heard someone hit my boat on the lift. The dock, no big deal, but chipped gelcoat or a hook to a cover would really torque me off.

Rook66

Seaman
I could write a book on obnoxious people that think the lake bank behind our house where we used to live is public property. We've come home to find people having a picnic in our back yard and fishing off of our dock before. I told my wife we should find out where they live and be there cooking out and sunning in lounge chairs when they get home and see how they feel about it. I know what they'd do they would call the cops but we're the bad guys when we run them off our property. I don't know how many times I've heard this old BS..."you don't own the lake" I tell'em no I don't own the lake but I own the property where your fat ass is sitting so get the hell out!!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I was thinking about you when fishing a dock yesterday. I was being extra careful in placing my casts but I'm very much out of practice. I didn't even get close to ANYTHING, including any bass which may have been lurking under the lily pads! :lol:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I just came up with a solution to those that get obnoxiously close or hitting the pontoon with lures. I am buying a drone I will make a sport of it.

aspeck

Staff member
The drone sounds like fun ... or just “fish” right back at then, trying to hook the fish lurking under their boat ...