Hi Everyone!

DanCoody

Recruit
Heya,

My name is Daniel and I have been pecking about the page for a few days. I am in hot country in Arizona. I found myself recently in possession of a 1989-90 SeaRay I/O 3.0 L Mercruiser, a hand me down. I don't have all the specs or SNs on the boat/motor/stern drive but once I do I will be sure to post them as per the pinned thread requirements. Currently doing what I can to get her afloat and moving under her own power. She ran last season but is in need of repairs, its a project. I love projects for the most part, just don't know if I like boat projects yet but I am going to find out. I used to be a ASE certified auto technician for trade, I still turn wrenches on my own stuff. I moved on from cars and am now a third generation public servant. I typically fix more people thee days that cars as a Paramedic. I have never been a boat person and typically stick to kayaks and paddle boards etc... It was not until this season when a friend took us out on his boat that I saw the excitement in my families eyes and the smiles on their faces, they ate it up and we had a blast. I am sure I am going to made hundreds of mistakes, heck buying this project might have been one, still TBD. I have been looking at posts and the such and trying to use the search bar to pull up topics, I am still having trouble narrowing down what I am looking for but I am sure that will come in time. I really can't remember the last time I was a part of a forum so I am rusty. Just figured I would drop a line and say hello. I was looking for the new guy introduce yourself thread but couldn't find it. Anyhow nice to meet ya'll and I am sure you will easily get tired of my questions because I have so many.

Respectfully,

Dan

aspeck

Staff member
Hey Dan, welcome aboard! Lots of very knowledgeable guys here, and a few who think they know a lot! Ha! Ask questions and Keep using your search function. There is a lot to learn. A good boating course is strongly recommended also!

DanCoody

Recruit
Thanks Aspeck, I've found a good deal of info thus far. Until I get the specifics up on the boat I'm just searching general things so far. I'll write up a boat thread when I get the chance. Thanks for the idea of the boating class. I'll take a look definitely.

R/

Dan

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats DanCoody :) :thumb:

My advice that I always give to new boaters . . .

Boating is dangerous, it only looks like fun. So, be aware, take a boating safety course (PowerSquadron) and do your best out on the water to operate your boat in a safe manner . . . your crew's safety depends on it.

As for the 1990 SeaRay . . . That boat is of the era of boats that had a lot of wood in them . . . which is now 30 years old. The hull itself is fiberglass, but the supporting structure (what we sometimes call the 'bones' of the boat ) are wood. So, you may find some areas of the boat needing attention.

As for the engine . . . not the most powerful engine in the world, but it is fine for a small boat. You will want to check it out carefully, keeping in mind that any engine, even in the worst of conditions will run great 'in the driveway'. Once you get out on the lake (or ocean) the true condition of the engine will reveal itself. FWIW - The power to propel a boat through the water is about 10X of what a car requires to go down the road. So, boat engines are under 10 times as much load as a car engine.

Anyway, start going through the boat to see what you got and feel free to ask away with questions and seek guidance for issues that you may/will run into.

DanCoody

Recruit
Thanks Ted,

I didn't know the relative strain being 10x more than a car. I assumed it was more as water is, well dense in comparison to air, but 10x is a significant number.

As for the boat, there is no shortage of issues from motor to floor. Rather than talk without pictures or specific info, I'll write up a boat thread once I get home. On one side of the coin it very well could not economical to repair, on the other side of the coin I'm a sucker for hard work and putting my hands on things and fixing them (or try).

R/

Dan

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Any boat you buy used will have issues with it. At least reading thes many threads on here prove that out. BUT, you came to the best place to get info, ideas ans instructions to make your boat a nice safe boat. If you really like working on things, you are in for dream of a life time. Boats are made of wood and fiberglass. And you can bet the wood is where the most work will be found. Don't get disappointed when you see the rot. It initially seems like an over-your-head issue. But thousands of boaters have tackled those issues and made a boat that they can hand down to their kids in the future.

The very first question you need to ask yourself is, do YOU like the boat? If yes, pop up a few pictures to allow us to see what you are dealing with, and let's get it water ready!

Oh and welcome aboard! :welcome:

DanCoody

Recruit
Thanks RedneckJoe, gm280,

I don't know how to feel about the boat it was so unexpected and sudden in obtaining it and I have limited exposure to boats as a whole. However, I do find myself attached to my boat already and excited for what it could be and do for my family. I do know I liked being on a boat as a guest. I like fixing things and maintaining them so them last a long time. Most of all I liked the feeling of floating on or running on top of the water as well as jumping off and hanging out in a quite cove. Just looking back at what I wrote...I think yah I like the boat. Pictures and thread should be up in about 24ish hours. I havent seen home in since Tuesday (working, its been crazy busy. More OT for repairs :D).

R/

Dan

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
DanC,
Sounds like you like boating and are ready, willing, and able to make that happen!

Lots of great folks here that provide good info. Here - I suggest starting a new thread for each thing you want answers/input for. Include details on what you're working with, and pictures that go from looking at the whole thing, then get closer, and right to where each thread is asking about.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Half the fun of boating is the tinkering around, finding out how and why it works and how to keep it working. Have fun and welcome aboard

DanCoody

Recruit
DanC,
Sounds like you like boating and are ready, willing, and able to make that happen!

Lots of great folks here that provide good info. Here - I suggest starting a new thread for each thing you want answers/input for. Include details on what you're working with, and pictures that go from looking at the whole thing, then get closer, and right to where each thread is asking about.

Garbageguy, Sure thing I can make than happen. Thanks for the help.

Thanks Cptbill, nice to meet you.

R/

Dan