smoked meat / bbq

aspeck

Staff member
I learned from a professional smoker not long ago that with pork for slicing, cook it to an internal temp of 160-165. If you are pulling it, once the internal temp hits 165 wrap it in foil and keep cooking till you hit an internal temp of 203. At around 200 degrees all of the fat and tougher sinew break down and it makes for a better pulled pork.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Wrapping is OK (the so-called Texas Crutch) but you get much nicer bark if you go low-and-slow without wrapping. If you’re doing competition cooking under a time limit, using a wrap is unavoidable. I try to never use the Crutch unless I have company on the way and I am running out of time.

Have you sliced pork butt that was only cooked to 165°? I would be curious as to how tender it is, since the collagen doesn’t even begin to break down until Internal temps hit 170 or 180. That’s a pretty hard working part of the critter to only cook to 165 and not have it be tough.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've pretty much abandoned lump charcoal and use briquets almost exclusively. Very few instances in where I found lump works better. I know it's not as hip, but briquets burn more evenly and predictably. (I rarely use the briquets infused with lighter fluid, unless I'm camping out or cooking on the beach, where I don't want to drag a chimney and newspaper with me.)

Buy the below. They work perfectly. And agree on the rest.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I learned from a professional smoker not long ago that with pork for slicing, cook it to an internal temp of 160-165. If you are pulling it, once the internal temp hits 165 wrap it in foil and keep cooking till you hit an internal temp of 203. At around 200 degrees all of the fat and tougher sinew break down and it makes for a better pulled pork.

Yeah 205 is my target is to take out around 200. I don't wrap, I live with the stall and I want the fat rendered out. Too much fat isn't pleasant and if more dry holds my Carolina sauce better.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so I took some of the leftovers which this batch was fairly smoky and used a mole (say that in spanish, not american) mix that we picked up at our local mexican grocery store (and 15 seat restaurant in the back it is awesome..... like sooooo much better than any americanized mexican joint we have everywhere) and let it rest for a bit while i fried up some tortilla chips.

Spread out over the salted chips, add a bit of shredded cheddar (tilamook only allowed in our house), and bake at 400 until just melted. Set on counter and add shredded cabbage, salsa verde, questo fresco and 'Dollops of Daisy' (sour cream). Cilantro.

I'm not one to do this type nachos I normally do just cheddar and jalepenos but this was prob the best i've ever had. The smokiness of the meat along with the mole (which I've never done before) was just simply amazing.

ArvabyR.jpg

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
oh man, this close to lunch you are killing me. I'm sitting at my desk dreading the crappy bag lunch I have this week too. That looks awesome

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This weekend coming we are doing Canada day, Wifes B day and Cousins Wifes Bday combined. Last night i picked up a bunch of fire works. we are getting both smokers going.

A brisket will go in his egg.
my bradly will handle the sides,

menu looks to be
Brisket
armadillo eggs
smoked mac and cheese
vinigar based slaw
ice cream for dessert.

whats everyones plans for the holiday weekend (be it 1st or 4th lol)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Crap ton of family and friends coming, we only have one recliner and one loveseat left.

Thursday only two girls and the parents, we are doing a small size sub sandwich bar and cheese fondue.

Breakfast will be HEC burritos in the crock pot keeping warm so ready for them whenever they roll out of bed.

dinner will have another mom and a boy and a girl show up, plus an old over the hill friend that comes up most holidays to hang out with us kids (I'm 54). Burgers and corn from the grill.

Saturday brings another couple with two year old twins, Corey plus one, the boy plus one the Dugans with the devil child. Random ones expect a couple more. We will do BYOM, plus a couple tri tips for those that conveniently didn't notice BYOM. these folks go home after the fireworks and bonfire. Breakfast on this day will be my famous biscuits and gravy, again in the crock pot for whenever eating.

Sunday morning TBD depending on departure times

and on the fourth day he rested. Or went to work a12 hour shift to start a 60 hour week.

I bought five new flags for the fence line, I will get some pics. I think that puts me up to 20.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh man, this close to lunch you are killing me. I'm sitting at my desk dreading the crappy bag lunch I have this week too. That looks awesome

You can choose to bring a Dr appt bag lunch, or not. In the last week I have brought

grilled salmon and a fresh salad with long grain and wild rice
Thick sliced strip steak with pickled red onion and dukes with fresh sliced tomato
grilled hamburger steak wrapped in bacon (I call them poor man filet)
Mozzarella slices with fresh tomato and fresh basil with balsamic
Roasted chicken let quarter with home made garlic naan

It makes the day at work much better.

Tomorrow will be mahi, my home made tartar sauce and zukes in some sort of heavy vinegar based dressing.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^ sounds like a busy weekend. enjoy and stay safe. ill post my results up here. everyone feel free do do the same

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sorry no pictures of the finished product but holy cow was this weekend tasty.

We did:
armadillo eggs (these were great will do again)
ABTs (done this in the oven before, the smoker makes them even better)
from scratch mac n cheese (the kids polished this off)

my cousin did a brisket in his Egg. family brought slaw, baked beans and corn bread.

man o man, I'm sad the weekend is over. How did everyone else make out?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Other than the tri tips we kept it very simple and just did burgers and dog all weekend.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
finally getting out camping this weekend. no indention of cooking in the camper all weekend so should be lots of burgers and dogs over wood..... nothing wrong with that.

a good hot dog over a campfire, toast up the bun, top with cheddar and dill pickle relish........ one of my favorite foods.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
finally getting out camping this weekend. no indention of cooking in the camper all weekend so should be lots of burgers and dogs over wood..... nothing wrong with that.

a good hot dog over a campfire, toast up the bun, top with cheddar and dill pickle relish........ one of my favorite foods.

dude i just did that on a skewer, plus mustard and red onion (and over my gas stove on a grate not a 'true' fire)

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^great minds think alike I guess. weekend was hot and raining but for the most part a success

sangerwaker

Commander
Anyone shop at Costco? In the deli, they have a cilantro lime flank steak. At least here in MN they do....

Anyway, throw this in the smoker for about 3-3.5 hours @ about 225. Leave it in the foil pan it comes in. When its done take it out and sear it on a hot grill, dumping any remaining liquid from the foil pan on the flank steak. Flip it a couple of times until you are out of liquid from the pan. I add about 1 shot of bourbon to the pan liquid prior to smoking, but that is optional.

It is absolutely delicious. We had been just grilling the flank steaks, but never again. MUCH better in the smoker, but isn't everything? :D

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yesterday I smoked half a full pork belly that I had curing for the last week. We now have about six pounds of homemade maple-flavored bacon! It turned out fantastic! First time I've tried bacon. I want to do some more, but COVID-19 has slowed or stopped enough meat processing plants that I'm having a hard time getting a couple of pork bellies. I will persist!

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
nice guys, both sound good. anyone have a Montreal smoked meat recipe they like?