smoked meat / bbq

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys, its prime season for the smoker. anyone else into it?

planning on doing chicken quarters and ribs this weekend. likely do bacon wrapped pork tenderloin next...….

always curious to hear what everyone else likes doing?

side dishes for smoked foods are always a topic of debate in our house?

southkogs

Staff member
One of my spring projects was to build an outdoor fire "pit." I used some old bricks I had from our gardening days and made a 40x60 open top pit (tried my hand at masonry - I stink :lol: ). Last year I got into grilling pork chops now and again and mixing up my own sauces - fell in love with the taste. So, I got a top for this thing to grill over it - and I'll be trying some different stuff.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sounds great man. I would love to build a full pit but space isn't there. I grill on propane several nights a week. we camp often and do all our cooking over the fire. my Bradley electric smoker (to be replaced with a big green egg as soon as my numbers come in) comes out when we have people over by the pool. its been away since we cant entertain with the plague. done waiting. its coming out...…...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
hickory smoked salmon
cherry smoked ribs
apple smoked pork shoulder
mesquite smoked brisket
apple smoked turkey

My smoked turkey dip (usually used as an appetizer during the grazing period of holiday gatherings)

in aluminum pan, place 10# bird upside down
pour in 1.5 quarts of apple juice and a good beer (a stout or something hoppy, not an IPA or lite beer)
smoke over oak and applewood - 220f for about 2.5-3 hours, re-baste about an hour or so in.
turn bird over and continue to smoke for about another 3-4 hours, re-baste if needed with its own juices

bird should be falling apart by now

drain off the juices, add a bit of flour and use for gravy on something like your mother-in-laws mash potatoes

completely break down the bird. return the meat to the pan and smoke at about 175 until the meat is fairly dry (about an hour).

from there, dump into food processor and chop to a medium-course to medium texture

take 2/3 of this and put in freezer for use later on.

the remaining 1/3, add ground black pepper (about a tablespoon) and garlic powder (about 1-1/2 tablespoon) along with mayonnaise to make a spread

serve on whole wheat crackers, vegetables, or pita chips.

if you need to make another batch, simply grab some from the freezer and use a fork to break up. there is not enough moisture to freeze it into a rock.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^ sounds delicious. my salmon needs work, its ok but not where I want it. I like where i am with my pork shoulders, birds and ribs. sausages are almost there but not quite.

apple and cherry are my go to's

had some old wiskey barrels that were awesome too but they are gone :(

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have a heavily modified upright propane smoker. I find that I smoke something about every two weeks. This past weekend, I smoked a big pork butt for my son's 25th birthday.

I have also smoked stuff on my Weber grill, but for longer cooks, like brisket and butts, it's too hard to keep the temp steady. My propane smoker isn't thermostatically controlled, but I installed a needle valve that allows me to keep the temp fairly steady (usually 225-250) without too much fiddling.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I went wood 25 years ago...... and have since converted all my old propane tanks to portable air tanks to air up tires........

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
not sure why I did this to myself. im starving...…….

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you want something a bit different, try smoking a meatloaf. I wrap mine in a lattice of bacon, smoke for a while, then slather on some BBQ sauce and smoke some more.

A side dist that's pretty good is spicy corn; I saute some onion, jalapeno and colored bell pepper in a bunch of butter, then add in corn. (Fresh sweet corn is best, but frozen is just fine, too.) Super easy to make, but very colorful and tasty.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
sides:

grilled zucchini slices

corn bread made in a cast-iron skillet on the grill (webber)

or my chili....

Cyclone Chili (My personal favorite, and one that many like) This recipe goes great with cornbread or Pan-Fried Tortillas (a few pages down)
TOOLS AND UTENCILES:
Grill – Not required, however HIGHLY recommended
Hickory Cookin Chunks or other Hickory smoking chips
Crock Pot (8 qt min) or large pot to place on grill
Cast Iron Fry Pan
Grill Safe pan (I use an old 9 x 13 cake pan)
Wooden spoon
Cutting Surface – Such as a butcher block
Large Knife – Do not fool around here. I use a 10” carver
Garlic Press (I use the one from Pampered Chef, I have also chopped these with a knife)
INGREDIENTS:
2 Lbs beef Chuck Steak
2-4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
6 or 7 fresh Jalapeno Peppers (Can use Habanero Peppers with caution)
1 Medium White Onion
½ Meduim Red Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 small 4-oz can of sliced Black Olives (Optional)
1 good sized sweet Green Pepper (can use two smaller, red or yellow also great to use)
8-10 Tomatillos (I have used regular tomatoes)
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce (I have used regular tomatoes that I pured with a food processor)
1 ½ cups beef broth (I generally use 3 bullion cubes and 1 ½ cups of hot water)
½ handful of fresh cilantro (this is about 3-4 Tbsp.)
1 Tbsp. Paprika (if you do not have paprika – see below)
2 Tbsp. Crushed cumin seeds (If you do not have crushed cumin seeds or paprika – Use 3 Tbsp of Chili Powder)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp Dried Red Pepper Flakes
Salt
Black Pepper
Liquid Smoke - if you do not have a grill or ability to smoke the ingredients
DIRECTIONS:
For Cooking with a Grill
Fire up your Grill. This is a lesson in indirect cooking and smoking. If you are using a gas grill with two burners, turn the right on high, place hickory smoking chips (soaked in water for ½ hour – read the instructions on the bag) on top of the lava rock on the right side. IF you are using a wood-fired grill (recommended) or a charcoal grill, build a fire with the Hickory Cookin Chunks to the right.
After the grill is about 225F and smoke is starting to build, take the Beef and place on the cool side of the rack (left if you have been following the directions) It takes about 20 minutes per side of a ¾” thick steak to smoke and cook about ½ way.
After the beef is smoked, remove and allow to cool on counter for 10 minutes.
Slice the medium onion into half. Place onion into grill safe pan. Cut the Green Peppers in half, remove the seeds and place in same pan. Shell the Tomatillos, cut in half, and place in pan. Toss in the peppers.
Place the pan on the cool side of the grill and close the grill lid. You are adding smoke flavor to the veggies here. Watch the veggies, they only need 5-10 minutes with occasional stirring. You are looking for a smoke discoloration and to only slightly cook the veggies.
On the stove – Press or mince the garlic, add to the fry pan. Add ½ of the olive oil.
Back at the counter – Cut up the smoked beef into ½” to ¾” cubes. Place in fry pan with garlic and olive oil. Brown meat and cook for about 5 minutes. Pour pan contents into crock pot or large pot
Allow smoked veggies to cool enough to handle.
Cut onion into slivers – do not dice. Place onion in fry pan with remainder of oil.
Cut green pepper into slivers and place in fry pan with oil
Cut the jalapeno peppers – remove the seeds if you like it more mild. Keep the seed to increase the compression ratio. Add this to the onions and peppers. If you are using Habaneros – REMOVE THE SEEDS unless you are a sadist
Saute for a short time to just add a blackened edge – dump contents into crock pot.
Dice the tomatillos and place directly into the crock pot. – Allow the juices from the tomatillos to also get into the crock pot.
Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano, paprika and cumin to the crock pot. Add ½ tsp. of salt and ¼ to ½ tsp. of black pepper. Add the pepper flakes.
Add the black olives
Allow to simmer on high for about 1 hour, stirring every ½ hour.
Add the fresh Cilantro – I use a kitchen scissors and cut right above the crock pot
Reduce heat and let simmer on low in crock pot for 2-3 hours.
For Cooking on the Stove (No Grill)
On the stove – Press or mince the garlic, add to the fry pan. Add ½ of the olive oil.
Back at the counter – Cut up the beef into ½” to ¾” cubes. Place in fry pan with garlic and olive oil. Brown meat and cook for about 15 minutes until beef is fully cooked. Pour pan contents into crock pot
Slice the medium onion into slivers – do not dice. Place onion into fry pan with remainder of olive oil. Cut the Green Peppers in half, remove the seeds. Slice into slivers and place in same pan.
Cut the jalapeno peppers – remove the seeds if you like it more mild. Keep the seed to increase the compression ratio. Add this to the onions and peppers. . If you are using Habaneros – REMOVE THE SEEDS unless you are a sadist
Saute for a short time to just add a blackened edge – dump contents into crock pot.
Shell the Tomatillos, dice the tomatillos and place directly into the crock pot. – Allow the juices from the tomatillos to also get into the crock pot.
Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano, paprika and cumin to the crock pot. Add ½ tsp. of salt and ¼ to ½ tsp. of black pepper. Add the pepper flakes.
Add the black olives
Add liquid Smoke – Use your nose as a guide. It should smell like food being cooked over an open fire. This is the key if you are not using a grill.
Allow to simmer on high for about 1½ hour, stirring every ½ hour.
Add the fresh Cilantro – I use a kitchen scissors and cut right above the crock pot
Reduce heat and let simmer on low in crock pot for 2-3 hours.
Dice up the ½ red onion for a garnish. Serve with Corn Bread, or Pan-Fried Tortillas. Wash down with a Leine’s Creamy Dark or Big-Butt dopple boch

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'm going to make that chili! That looks good! But where are the beans? :behindsofa:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Plus one, or ten, on the smoked meatloaf.

I think I've discovered my egg thermometer is off by over 50 degrees so going to adjust my approach this weekend on a pork shoulder.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I also have a white chili made with smoked turkey that is fantastic. That does have beans

64osby

Admiral
I received a Mastercraft smoker for Christmas. The first use was Easter, smoked a nice spiral ham. After that there was a whole chicken with mesquite.

Last week there was a 8lb pork butt with hickory and a rub, it took 19 hours. Made some excellent pulled pork.

Still learning, venison jerky is on the list. Have Salmon in the freezer and some Lake Trout. Gave my Bil some of the lake trout, he smoked it and made some awesome dip out of it.

We typically grill 3 to 4 days a week, looking for ideas to change things up.

Nice thread to increase smokability. :lol:

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok where do I start...……..

I've done a similar meatloaf. its great. tip roll it into a log to thin it out a bit, sharp cheddar spears in the center...…… its awesome

the corn appeals to me. ill play around with that and make it my own. good call.

my fish game is weak. only tried salmon but have had several attempts. either too wet, or too smooshy or leathery.

best I've gotten so far was an overnight brine in water, soy sauce and leamon slices then a dusting of pepper and into the smoker for about 3 hours around 195.

whats everyones go to for fish.

aspeck

Staff member
Here is smoked salmon recipe I use:

[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
  • 5 pounds salmon, trout or char
  • Maple syrup for basting

[h=4]BRINE[/h]
  • 1 quart cool water
  • 1/3 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt, about 2 ounces of any kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of maple syrup

[h=3]Instructions[/h]
  • Mix together the brine ingredients and place your fish in a non-reactive container (plastic or glass), cover and put in the refrigerator. This curing process eliminates some of the moisture from the inside of the fish while at the same time infusing it with salt, which will help preserve the salmon.
  • You will need to cure your salmon at least 4 hours, even for thin fillets from trout or pink salmon. Large trout, char, and salmon need 8 hours. A really thick piece of king salmon might need as much as 36 hours in the brine. Never go more than 48 hours, however, or your fish will be too salty. Double the brine if it's not enough to cover the fish.
  • Take your fish out of the brine and pat it dry. Set the fillets on your cooling rack, skin side down. Ideally you'd do this right under a ceiling fan set on high, or outside in a cool, breezy place. By "cool" I mean 60°F or cooler. Let the fish dry for 2 to 4 hours (or up to overnight in the fridge). You want the surface of the fish to develop a shiny skin called a pellicle.
    Drying your cured, brined fish in a cool, breezy place is vital to proper smoking. The pellicle, which is a thin, lacquer-like layer on top of the fish, seals it and offers a sticky surface for the smoke to adhere. Don't worry, the salt in the brine will protect your fish from spoilage. Once you have your pellicle, you can refrigerate your fish for a few hours and smoke it later if you'd like.
  • Start by slicking the skin of your fish with some oil, so it won't stick to the smoker rack. Know that even though this is hot smoking, you still do not want high temperatures. Start with a small fire and work your way up as you go. It is important to bring the temperature up gradually or you will get that white albumin "bleed" on the meat. I can control my heat with my smoker, so I start the process between 140°F for up to an hour, then finish at 175°F for a final hour or two.
    NOTE: What my smoker is set at is not necessarily what the actual temperature is. Smoking is an art, not a science. To keep temperatures mild, always put water in your drip pan to keep the temperature down.
  • After an hour in the smoker, baste the fish with maple syrup, or honey; do this every hour. This is a good way to brush away any albumin that might form. In most cases, you will get a little. You just don't want a ton of it. Even if you can't control your temperature this precisely, you get the general idea. You goal should be an internal temperature of about 130°F to 140°F. (Incidentally, yes, I keep the smoke on the whole time. I don't find this to be too much smoke, but if you want a lighter smoke, finish the salmon without smoke or in a 200°F oven.)
  • You must be careful about your heat. Other than failing to dry your salmon long enough, the single biggest problem in smoking salmon is too high heat. If you've ever seen salmon "bleed" a white, creamy substance, that's a protein called albumin. If you see lots of it, you've screwed up; a little is normal.
    Here's what happens: If you cook a piece of salmon at too high a heat, the muscle fibers in the meat contract so violently that they extrude albumin, which immediately congeals on the surface of the fish. It's ugly, and it also means your salmon will be drier than it could have been. You prevent this with a solidly formed pellicle, and by keeping your heat gentle.
    If you let your heat get away from you and you do get a white mess on your salmon, all is not lost. Just flake it out and make salmon salad with it: The mayonnaise in the salad will mask any dryness.
  • Once your fish is smoked, let it rest on the cooling rack for an hour before you put it in the fridge. Once refrigerated and wrapped in plastic, smoked fish will keep for 10 days. If you vacuum-seal it, the fish will keep for up to 3 weeks. Or freeze your fish for up to a year.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^ learned something here, thanks. will have to give it another go soon. im sure i wasnt drying it enough

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I received a Mastercraft smoker for Christmas. The first use was Easter, smoked a nice spiral ham. After that there was a whole chicken with mesquite.

Last week there was a 8lb pork butt with hickory and a rub, it took 19 hours. Made some excellent pulled pork.

Still learning, venison jerky is on the list. Have Salmon in the freezer and some Lake Trout. Gave my Bil some of the lake trout, he smoked it and made some awesome dip out of it.

We typically grill 3 to 4 days a week, looking for ideas to change things up.

Nice thread to increase smokability. :lol:

I had a mastercraft, top of the line but after the control panel went whack for the second time i junked it. To be fair, they replaced the first one no questions asked after I emailed them about buying a replacement as it was out of warranty. Just asked my address and sent.

and aspck is spot on for the fish. Great guidelines but like women every smoker is different even changes with what you put in her belly and what the moon phase is.

Enjoy the ride.

aspeck

Staff member
I had a Cajun smoker made by Mastercraft and after 1 year the led readout started going bad. It was out of warranty and I could live with one bar being bad, then 2 bars, then 3, then parts were unavailable... they changed design and didn’t make parts for old design any more. I am junking it. Now own a Masterbuilt 140S and am loving it. Doing some pork for a pulled pork, daughter’s graduation party next week. Yum. I use it about every other week or so. Might do some ribs at the same time. Will see.

But to Joe’s point, yes, every smoker, and every day, is different. It takes time and practice to know your smoker and how it holds temp and reacts. I prefer smoking on colder days because I can regulate the temp better than hot days. Also prefer the smoker in the shade or after the sun goes down, again, for me, it is the control.