smoked meat / bbq

MRS

Commander
Ok aspecks got fish chilling in the brine now will give it a go on the smoker tomorrow.
smoking.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
cold or hot smoke?

I grew up with dad cold smoking in the Little Chief i think it was called. Bullhead catfish and yellow perch mostly. Most 6-12 year old latchkey kids would come home and junk out, i always went for the smoked fish.

I bought an electric hotplate to put into my Egg, tried a hot smoke and for reasons I wont bore you with it didn't work. But I think i can get a cold smoke out of it.

MRS

Commander
ok first batch off the smoker hard to hold temp on mine took some work but came out good. Think I will get and electric controlled for the next try. Mine is just charcole and wood plus windy here most of the time. Did half basting and half not both came out good mixed it in a salad. Here are the ones I basted with the maple,

fetch

Attachments

• photo336557.jpg
    photo336557.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok, so looks good but so do most pics on the internet.....

How'd it taste? (besides 'good')

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
forgot about this thread..... you all are making me hungry......

MRS

Commander
ok, so looks good but so do most pics on the internet.....

How'd it taste? (besides 'good')

The smoker turned out good was a pain to control the heat but I figured it out and got away with it.
The fish is yummy taking with us on next trip hopefully this weekend for some catfish. Some fish you just have to fry thou Fried catfish is always yummy to.

MRS

Commander
Ran out of smoked fish aspeck that fish was really good I miss it already thanks for the instructions. No cats on the last trip but more stripers. Thinking of getting a different unit to cook and smoke with what do you folks recommend for both cooking and smoking.

aspeck

Staff member
Glad you enjoyed the smoked fish! I just threw a 10 lb pork loin in the smoker for lunch. It will be sliced when served. Cherry wood with a little bit of hickory thrown in. Salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, brown sugar for the rub. Mouth is watering and I haven't had breakfast yet!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ran out of smoked fish aspeck that fish was really good I miss it already thanks for the instructions. No cats on the last trip but more stripers. Thinking of getting a different unit to cook and smoke with what do you folks recommend for both cooking and smoking.

I do both on my egg, thinking about trying cold smoking in it as well.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Why do I always seem to read these "food" posts when I could eat everything I see? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
best pork ribs i've ever done. a few hours @ 250, then about 30 at 300. I like mine NOT falling off the bone, but soft with s chew to it. And i found a line of Kingsford charcoal that has wood chips in it - so not ongoing maintenance.

Ljb4p6I.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
St louis ribs(maybe spare ribs) on my RecTec pellet smoker. 3-2-1 method. Just put on BBQ sauce for the last hour for this picture.

IMG_20200502_150609%20%281%29-604x453.jpg

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^ agreed. At my house baby backs get grilled, side ribs smoked.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
not smoked but a recipe I grew up on, because my dad grew up on, because his mom grew up on - is a full or half rack and a 380 degree oven for x amount of time - but liberally coated caraway seeds. And I like some pepper on them. Only like 30-45 min, its a quick cook.