Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

smoked meat / bbq

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoked meat / bbq

hey guys, its prime season for the smoker. anyone else into it?

planning on doing chicken quarters and ribs this weekend. likely do bacon wrapped pork tenderloin next...….

always curious to hear what everyone else likes doing?

side dishes for smoked foods are always a topic of debate in our house?

One of my spring projects was to build an outdoor fire "pit." I used some old bricks I had from our gardening days and made a 40x60 open top pit (tried my hand at masonry - I stink ). Last year I got into grilling pork chops now and again and mixing up my own sauces - fell in love with the taste. So, I got a top for this thing to grill over it - and I'll be trying some different stuff.

Comment

sounds great man. I would love to build a full pit but space isn't there. I grill on propane several nights a week. we camp often and do all our cooking over the fire. my Bradley electric smoker (to be replaced with a big green egg as soon as my numbers come in) comes out when we have people over by the pool. its been away since we cant entertain with the plague. done waiting. its coming out...…...

Comment

hickory smoked salmon
        cherry smoked ribs
        apple smoked pork shoulder
        mesquite smoked brisket
        apple smoked turkey

My smoked turkey dip (usually used as an appetizer during the grazing period of holiday gatherings)

in aluminum pan, place 10# bird upside down
        pour in 1.5 quarts of apple juice and a good beer (a stout or something hoppy, not an IPA or lite beer)
        smoke over oak and applewood - 220f for about 2.5-3 hours, re-baste about an hour or so in.
        turn bird over and continue to smoke for about another 3-4 hours, re-baste if needed with its own juices

bird should be falling apart by now

drain off the juices, add a bit of flour and use for gravy on something like your mother-in-laws mash potatoes

completely break down the bird. return the meat to the pan and smoke at about 175 until the meat is fairly dry (about an hour).

from there, dump into food processor and chop to a medium-course to medium texture

take 2/3 of this and put in freezer for use later on.

the remaining 1/3, add ground black pepper (about a tablespoon) and garlic powder (about 1-1/2 tablespoon) along with mayonnaise to make a spread

serve on whole wheat crackers, vegetables, or pita chips.

if you need to make another batch, simply grab some from the freezer and use a fork to break up. there is not enough moisture to freeze it into a rock.
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

^ sounds delicious. my salmon needs work, its ok but not where I want it. I like where i am with my pork shoulders, birds and ribs. sausages are almost there but not quite.

apple and cherry are my go to's

had some old wiskey barrels that were awesome too but they are gone

Comment

I have a heavily modified upright propane smoker. I find that I smoke something about every two weeks. This past weekend, I smoked a big pork butt for my son's 25th birthday.

I have also smoked stuff on my Weber grill, but for longer cooks, like brisket and butts, it's too hard to keep the temp steady. My propane smoker isn't thermostatically controlled, but I installed a needle valve that allows me to keep the temp fairly steady (usually 225-250) without too much fiddling.

Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

I went wood 25 years ago...... and have since converted all my old propane tanks to portable air tanks to air up tires........

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

not sure why I did this to myself. im starving...…….

Comment

If you want something a bit different, try smoking a meatloaf. I wrap mine in a lattice of bacon, smoke for a while, then slather on some BBQ sauce and smoke some more.

A side dist that's pretty good is spicy corn; I saute some onion, jalapeno and colored bell pepper in a bunch of butter, then add in corn. (Fresh sweet corn is best, but frozen is just fine, too.) Super easy to make, but very colorful and tasty.
                  Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

sides:

grilled zucchini slices

corn bread made in a cast-iron skillet on the grill (webber)

or my chili....

Cyclone Chili (My personal favorite, and one that many like) This recipe goes great with cornbread or Pan-Fried Tortillas (a few pages down)
                    TOOLS AND UTENCILES:
                    Grill – Not required, however HIGHLY recommended
                    Hickory Cookin Chunks or other Hickory smoking chips
                    Crock Pot (8 qt min) or large pot to place on grill
                    Cast Iron Fry Pan
                    Grill Safe pan (I use an old 9 x 13 cake pan)
                    Wooden spoon
                    Cutting Surface – Such as a butcher block
                    Large Knife – Do not fool around here. I use a 10” carver
                    Garlic Press (I use the one from Pampered Chef, I have also chopped these with a knife)
                    INGREDIENTS:
                    2 Lbs beef Chuck Steak
                    2-4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
                    6 or 7 fresh Jalapeno Peppers (Can use Habanero Peppers with caution)
                    1 Medium White Onion
                    ½ Meduim Red Onion
                    2 Cloves Garlic
                    1 small 4-oz can of sliced Black Olives (Optional)
                    1 good sized sweet Green Pepper (can use two smaller, red or yellow also great to use)
                    8-10 Tomatillos (I have used regular tomatoes)
                    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce (I have used regular tomatoes that I pured with a food processor)
                    1 ½ cups beef broth (I generally use 3 bullion cubes and 1 ½ cups of hot water)
                    ½ handful of fresh cilantro (this is about 3-4 Tbsp.)
                    1 Tbsp. Paprika (if you do not have paprika – see below)
                    2 Tbsp. Crushed cumin seeds (If you do not have crushed cumin seeds or paprika – Use 3 Tbsp of Chili Powder)
                    1 Tbsp dried oregano
                    1 Tbsp Dried Red Pepper Flakes
                    Salt
                    Black Pepper
                    Liquid Smoke - if you do not have a grill or ability to smoke the ingredients
                    DIRECTIONS:
                    For Cooking with a Grill
                    Fire up your Grill. This is a lesson in indirect cooking and smoking. If you are using a gas grill with two burners, turn the right on high, place hickory smoking chips (soaked in water for ½ hour – read the instructions on the bag) on top of the lava rock on the right side. IF you are using a wood-fired grill (recommended) or a charcoal grill, build a fire with the Hickory Cookin Chunks to the right.
                    After the grill is about 225F and smoke is starting to build, take the Beef and place on the cool side of the rack (left if you have been following the directions) It takes about 20 minutes per side of a ¾” thick steak to smoke and cook about ½ way.
                    After the beef is smoked, remove and allow to cool on counter for 10 minutes.
                    Slice the medium onion into half. Place onion into grill safe pan. Cut the Green Peppers in half, remove the seeds and place in same pan. Shell the Tomatillos, cut in half, and place in pan. Toss in the peppers.
                    Place the pan on the cool side of the grill and close the grill lid. You are adding smoke flavor to the veggies here. Watch the veggies, they only need 5-10 minutes with occasional stirring. You are looking for a smoke discoloration and to only slightly cook the veggies.
                    On the stove – Press or mince the garlic, add to the fry pan. Add ½ of the olive oil.
                    Back at the counter – Cut up the smoked beef into ½” to ¾” cubes. Place in fry pan with garlic and olive oil. Brown meat and cook for about 5 minutes. Pour pan contents into crock pot or large pot
                    Allow smoked veggies to cool enough to handle.
                    Cut onion into slivers – do not dice. Place onion in fry pan with remainder of oil.
                    Cut green pepper into slivers and place in fry pan with oil
                    Cut the jalapeno peppers – remove the seeds if you like it more mild. Keep the seed to increase the compression ratio. Add this to the onions and peppers. If you are using Habaneros – REMOVE THE SEEDS unless you are a sadist
                    Saute for a short time to just add a blackened edge – dump contents into crock pot.
                    Dice the tomatillos and place directly into the crock pot. – Allow the juices from the tomatillos to also get into the crock pot.
                    Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano, paprika and cumin to the crock pot. Add ½ tsp. of salt and ¼ to ½ tsp. of black pepper. Add the pepper flakes.
                    Add the black olives
                    Allow to simmer on high for about 1 hour, stirring every ½ hour.
                    Add the fresh Cilantro – I use a kitchen scissors and cut right above the crock pot
                    Reduce heat and let simmer on low in crock pot for 2-3 hours.
                    For Cooking on the Stove (No Grill)
                    On the stove – Press or mince the garlic, add to the fry pan. Add ½ of the olive oil.
                    Back at the counter – Cut up the beef into ½” to ¾” cubes. Place in fry pan with garlic and olive oil. Brown meat and cook for about 15 minutes until beef is fully cooked. Pour pan contents into crock pot
                    Slice the medium onion into slivers – do not dice. Place onion into fry pan with remainder of olive oil. Cut the Green Peppers in half, remove the seeds. Slice into slivers and place in same pan.
                    Cut the jalapeno peppers – remove the seeds if you like it more mild. Keep the seed to increase the compression ratio. Add this to the onions and peppers. . If you are using Habaneros – REMOVE THE SEEDS unless you are a sadist
                    Saute for a short time to just add a blackened edge – dump contents into crock pot.
                    Shell the Tomatillos, dice the tomatillos and place directly into the crock pot. – Allow the juices from the tomatillos to also get into the crock pot.
                    Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano, paprika and cumin to the crock pot. Add ½ tsp. of salt and ¼ to ½ tsp. of black pepper. Add the pepper flakes.
                    Add the black olives
                    Add liquid Smoke – Use your nose as a guide. It should smell like food being cooked over an open fire. This is the key if you are not using a grill.
                    Allow to simmer on high for about 1½ hour, stirring every ½ hour.
                    Add the fresh Cilantro – I use a kitchen scissors and cut right above the crock pot
                    Reduce heat and let simmer on low in crock pot for 2-3 hours.
                    Dice up the ½ red onion for a garnish. Serve with Corn Bread, or Pan-Fried Tortillas. Wash down with a Leine’s Creamy Dark or Big-Butt dopple boch

Past Boats

Comment

I'm going to make that chili! That looks good! But where are the beans?

Comment

Plus one, or ten, on the smoked meatloaf.

I think I've discovered my egg thermometer is off by over 50 degrees so going to adjust my approach this weekend on a pork shoulder.
                        1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

Originally posted by JASinIL2006 View Post
                          I'm going to make that chili! That looks good! But where are the beans?
                          Minestrone soup has beans....chili does not

Past Boats

Comment

I also have a white chili made with smoked turkey that is fantastic. That does have beans

Past Boats

Comment

I received a Mastercraft smoker for Christmas. The first use was Easter, smoked a nice spiral ham. After that there was a whole chicken with mesquite.

Last week there was a 8lb pork butt with hickory and a rub, it took 19 hours. Made some excellent pulled pork.

Still learning, venison jerky is on the list. Have Salmon in the freezer and some Lake Trout. Gave my Bil some of the lake trout, he smoked it and made some awesome dip out of it.

We typically grill 3 to 4 days a week, looking for ideas to change things up.

Nice thread to increase smokability.

1973 Starcraft 21 Mariner ---------------- 1966 Lone Star Medallion II --------------- 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman

A Smart Phone is one that is Not in your hand when driving!

Comment

Working...
                              X