BRP discontinues Evinrude

JohnnyGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So which is it ?????

""We will continue to supply customers and our dealer network service parts,""

OR

"All parts have ceased for ALL year motors...only parts carried will be for engines 2015-2020 for warranty purposes nothing sold over counter"

I hope this gets clarified.
It's great to have so many parts still available for these old OB's still working hard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
-I cut grass with an old 2 stroke Lawn Boy mower .---Paid $25 for it and it runs like new.

I miss my old lawnboy....wife didnt like it so to keep the peace sold it at a garage sale. I think I owned it for 25 years with minimal maintenance.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sad, sad, sad. That's all I've ever owned.......

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I heard a rumor...ah...on another board...that this is the end of E-tec, not necessarily of Evinrude though and that rumor was...that there may be a line of 4 stroke outboards using Rotax technology...the use of Merc OBs may just be a stop gap measure...I'm hoping this is true and certainly because of their snowmobile and ATV experience BRP has had a lot of experience here...might be better than current 4 stroke outboard tech? One thing about modern 4 stroke outboards they are fiendishly complex and the parts are VERY expensive. If you want a shock look up the parts prices of Merc ECMs for some of their outboards. Insane prices.

I believe that is Backwards.

BRP, is more than Just Evinrude. They are Ski Doo, Sea Doo, Lynx, Rotax, Can Am, Alumicraft, Manitoulin, to name a few. BRP, purchased OMC, out of Bankruptcy back in the early 2000's for FITCH DI technology. (yes the dreaded FITCH). Evinrude was just added in the chain. BRP needed to Clean Up Ski Doo, Sea Doo, Lynx 2 Strokes to meet EPA. Buying and perfecting FITCH was most likely, the same cost as designing a DI system from scratch. Evinrude/Johnson was just thrown into the deal. Kind of why JohnZukes appeared shortly after.

Sea Doo's have since increased in size and turned 4 Strokes, Ski Doo's however, still run a lot of 2 Strokes for weight savings. ETEC is still very popular in Snowmobiles.

BRP's "Ghost Project?" well who knows? Rotax does make a 300hp 1630cc 4 stroke Turbo, that would fit nicely under a Pontoon's Deck, or in an Extended Transom, and of course their 250hp Jet Drives.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Evinrude outboard market share was only around 4% or so...not at all surprised.

tpenfield

Staff member
Anybody got the latest outboard market share data ?

The latest I've seen was from about 2015, and Evinrude had about 7% then, . . . . and I've seen more recent articles that put them at just under 4%. So, they certainly had worked their way down the food chain in the past 20+ years.

Top 4 are something like . . .

Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha
Mercury

:noidea:

southkogs

Staff member
Is that global data? I'm surprised Yamaha is so far down the line. I see a LOT of Yammys on the water.

aspeck

Staff member
Is that global data? I'm surprised Yamaha is so far down the line. I see a LOT of Yammys on the water.

Around here the most you see are Evinrudes because that is what the largest boat dealer in the area sells ... or at least did ...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Anybody got the latest outboard market share data ?

The latest I've seen was from about 2015, and Evinrude had about 7% then, . . . . and I've seen more recent articles that put them at just under 4%. So, they certainly had worked their way down the food chain in the past 20+ years.

Top 4 are something like . . .

Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha - 40%
Mercury

:noidea:
Thought I saw them ranked in one of the BRP Annual reports. Didn't find that, but found that BRP fell from the #4 spot in 2019 to #5 in 2020.
The only market share figures I can find w/o paying is that Yamaha holds a 40% market share

Yamaha - 40%
Brunswick
Honda
Suzuki

82rude

Rear Admiral
Wow.My 9 year old flawlessly running 60hp is now an orphan!I always wondered why brp did not adapt the ski-doo A.C.E. tech to outboards and get in on the religion of 4 stroke where everybody seems to be bowing down to now.If that was my company i would of had a blend of 2 and 4 stroke tech.Lets say 60 hp and below 2 stroke and 75hp and up 4 stroke possiblely based on the A.C.E. TECH or Suzuki rebrands like before.Why is ski-doo so successful? Because they have a good blend of 2 and 4 stroke tech giving the consumers what they want.

Rook66

Seaman
As far as I was concerned Evinrude and Johnson died a long time ago when they cheeped out with plastic cowlings. The '57 and '58 models were about the last of the good looking Evinrudes in my opinion.

My 1957 Model.
qP4xM0y.jpg