Robot lawnmower. Anyone?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I went to our local farm supply outlet to pick up a new BBQ curbside and they handed me a brochure for the Huquavarna automower 310. Does anyone have one of the robot lawnmowers? Do they work or are they a gimmick until all the kinks are engineered. I do know Husquavarna makes quality products. This particular item is selling for $999.99 CDN.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you want to cut a 1/4 acre for 1600 US bucks, go for it.

$1599.99* – Starting MSRP with standard professional installation

*Standard professional installation includes required installation materials, installation itself and product demonstration. Prices will vary. For more details, please view our installation details page. Check with your local Husqvarna dealer or retailer for more information.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/models/automower-310/967672905/

PS - You have a good excuse if it cuts down the wife's flowers. The Husky Roomba did it! :lol:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Why $1599.99 USD in the USA and only $999.99 CDN here? Different Husquavarna maybe. I know cables need to be set underground like those invisible dog fences that zaps the puppy if it crosses the line. Yea I can see it eating all her hostas and lillies. The thing is supposed to bounce off trees and fences like the Roomba. Hosta's etc.would be cut down like cannon fodder until the thing hit the wall of the shack, tree or fence and did a 180 as advertised. Nope, gonna have to pay my wife 25 bucks a cut. She says she want's to renegotiate her contract for this year. A contract is a contract, no do overs.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Farm technology is quite advanced.----Called '' GPS READY " and other versions in listings.----They tell me you can have one tractor / combine with a driver.-----The other machines in the field follow the leader and no driver.-----Out WEST about 100 years ago there was lots of work for everybody on those farms.-----Not so today.------No reason why a lawnmower can't run with modern technology.-------This miniature electronic / computer stuff is cheap to manufacture !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
lawn cutting robots have been out on the market for over 10 years.

early ones required you to bury a wire to outline its perimeter

later ones are GPS enabled and you teach it the perimeter.

my concern is the sheer amount of e-waste from these things and other electronics that you will need to pay to dispose of when it dies.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes,---I cut grass with a 1967 model Lawn Boy.-----I clean the points and make sure carburetor bowl is clean after a winter outside.----Works like a charm.----Bit of exercise is a bonus.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
And what happen IF someone steals it out of your yard? People steal real lawn mowers every day. So this too is a new target to pawn...

I bought a very nice zero turn mower last year. And I enjoy listening to my headphones and driving that thing for a couple hours. But that is just me...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
my concern is the sheer amount of e-waste from these things and other electronics that you will need to pay to dispose of when it dies.
That what they make recycling centers for.

Our county recycles most If not all electronics. Batteries, TV, printers, computers, displays you name it.

Good money in electronics recycling

Old Ironmaker

Captain
And what happen IF someone steals it out of your yard? People steal real lawn mowers every day. So this too is a new target to pawn...

I bought a very nice zero turn mower last year. And I enjoy listening to my headphones and driving that thing for a couple hours. But that is just me...

From what I read on the brochure this is not GPS controlled. There is a boundary wire as well as guide wire buried just below the sod. As far as theft the docking and charge station that it automatically returns to,( so there is GPS involved). Each unit has a personal pin number and is useless to anyone that steals it from the locked charging station.

I won't be spending that much money on a grass robot, I'm an old dinosaur. I'm sure in the near future it will be the norm. I don't even have email on my phone. I actually use my phone to call someone and talk to them. We go to great lengths these days to avoid talking to someone.

So I take it no one here has one or knows if they work well.

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander

Our county recycles most If not all electronics. Batteries, TV, printers, computers, displays you name it.

Recycling, do a google search on Plastic China watch the trailer for the film. You will learn the inconvenient truth about recycling. You will no longer feel all warm and fuzzy about putting things in a recycling bin.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
From what I read on the brochure this is not GPS controlled. There is a boundary wire as well as guide wire buried just below the sod. As far as theft the docking and charge station that it automatically returns to,( so there is GPS involved). Each unit has a personal pin number and is useless to anyone that steals it from the locked charging station.

I won't be spending that much money on a grass robot, I'm an old dinosaur. I'm sure in the near future it will be the norm. I don't even have email on my phone. I actually use my phone to call someone and talk to them. We go to great lengths these days to avoid talking to someone.

So I take it no one here has one or knows if they work well.

That should show you that robotic lawn mowers are not that popular.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No GPS or perimeter wires and guide wires would not be needed. Guide wires are so the thing can find the recharge dock.

harringtondav

Commander
I'm not a fan of rechargeables. A Tesla can whip a Dodge Challenger in a few drag races, but after the Tesla limps back to the charging station the Challenger is good for a few hundred more miles. I've been watching a TV ad for a rechargeable lawn blower that out pushes a gas blower....for a while.

Current battery capacity is the limit on long term energy/work. My only rechargeable tool is a drill. With a backup battery and charger it has done well. Every other tool is corded, or air operated. Air hoses and extension cords don't bother me much.

Reactions: Fed

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Our country ships e-waste to 3rd world countries. We dont recycle as much as its published that we do.

harringtondav

Commander
Thats because labor is too expense to recycle here.

Commodities get shipped all over the world for processing. Why is this a problem?

https://thediplomat.com/2013/11/the-potential-of-urban-mining/

I think the COVID supply chain issues over the last several months have highlighted some problems. The first company that started off shoring to get an edge on product costs started a chain reaction of off shoring.

I have a faint hope the the "Buy North American" that's gaining traction may slow, or even reverse the trend.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I think the COVID supply chain issues over the last several months have highlighted some problems. The first company that started off shoring to get an edge on product costs started a chain reaction of off shoring.

I have a faint hope the the "Buy North American" that's gaining traction may slow, or even reverse the trend.
Spent my entire career in the electronic manufacturing business supporting the steel and aluminum industries.

Having lived through the outsourcing of our industries during the 80’s and 90’s. I have very strong feelings on the cause, but there is enough blame to go around to all involved.

I hope recent events have opened some eyes, but the same ideologies that pushed them offshore are still alive and well today.

Don’t expect much to be done anytime soon.

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander

How can there be good money in electronics recycling yet doing the actual recycling is cost prohibitive? If the money is good on one end but not the other? Oh wait the collection of recycling is subsidized, providing a false narrative to make the public think they are doing the right thing for the environment.

harringtondav

Commander
Oh wait the collection of recycling is subsidized, providing a false narrative to make the public think they are doing the right thing for the environment.

Recycling plastics is a 'feel good' for the recycling citizen. Today much/most ends up in the landfill. But paper, cardboard, metal and glass recycling does add value. These are refined raw materials, well over 50% pre processed for remanufacture.

My old employer's foundry takes daily gondola cars full of ferrous scrap and remelts it into nodular and gray iron housings. 100% scrap. Not an ounce of native pig iron.