Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Robot lawnmower. Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot lawnmower. Anyone?

I went to our local farm supply outlet to pick up a new BBQ curbside and they handed me a brochure for the Huquavarna automower 310. Does anyone have one of the robot lawnmowers? Do they work or are they a gimmick until all the kinks are engineered. I do know Husquavarna makes quality products. This particular item is selling for $999.99 CDN.
    Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

If you want to cut a 1/4 acre for 1600 US bucks, go for it.

$1599.99* – Starting MSRP with standard professional installation

*Standard professional installation includes required installation materials, installation itself and product demonstration. Prices will vary. For more details, please view our installation details page. Check with your local Husqvarna dealer or retailer for more information.
    https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...310/967672905/

PS - You have a good excuse if it cuts down the wife's flowers. The Husky Roomba did it!
    BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Why $1599.99 USD in the USA and only $999.99 CDN here? Different Husquavarna maybe. I know cables need to be set underground like those invisible dog fences that zaps the puppy if it crosses the line. Yea I can see it eating all her hostas and lillies. The thing is supposed to bounce off trees and fences like the Roomba. Hosta's etc.would be cut down like cannon fodder until the thing hit the wall of the shack, tree or fence and did a 180 as advertised. Nope, gonna have to pay my wife 25 bucks a cut. She says she want's to renegotiate her contract for this year. A contract is a contract, no do overs.
      Last edited by Old Ironmaker; May 22nd, 2020, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Farm technology is quite advanced.----Called '' GPS READY " and other versions in listings.----They tell me you can have one tractor / combine with a driver.-----The other machines in the field follow the leader and no driver.-----Out WEST about 100 years ago there was lots of work for everybody on those farms.-----Not so today.------No reason why a lawnmower can't run with modern technology.-------This miniature electronic / computer stuff is cheap to manufacture !!

Comment

lawn cutting robots have been out on the market for over 10 years.

early ones required you to bury a wire to outline its perimeter

later ones are GPS enabled and you teach it the perimeter.

my concern is the sheer amount of e-waste from these things and other electronics that you will need to pay to dispose of when it dies.
          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Yes,---I cut grass with a 1967 model Lawn Boy.-----I clean the points and make sure carburetor bowl is clean after a winter outside.----Works like a charm.----Bit of exercise is a bonus.

Comment

And what happen IF someone steals it out of your yard? People steal real lawn mowers every day. So this too is a new target to pawn...

I bought a very nice zero turn mower last year. And I enjoy listening to my headphones and driving that thing for a couple hours. But that is just me...
              Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
              Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
              '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
              Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                my concern is the sheer amount of e-waste from these things and other electronics that you will need to pay to dispose of when it dies.
                That what they make recycling centers for.

Our county recycles most If not all electronics. Batteries, TV, printers, computers, displays you name it.

Good money in electronics recycling

Comment

Originally posted by gm280 View Post
                  And what happen IF someone steals it out of your yard? People steal real lawn mowers every day. So this too is a new target to pawn...

I bought a very nice zero turn mower last year. And I enjoy listening to my headphones and driving that thing for a couple hours. But that is just me...
                  From what I read on the brochure this is not GPS controlled. There is a boundary wire as well as guide wire buried just below the sod. As far as theft the docking and charge station that it automatically returns to,( so there is GPS involved). Each unit has a personal pin number and is useless to anyone that steals it from the locked charging station.

I won't be spending that much money on a grass robot, I'm an old dinosaur. I'm sure in the near future it will be the norm. I don't even have email on my phone. I actually use my phone to call someone and talk to them. We go to great lengths these days to avoid talking to someone.

So I take it no one here has one or knows if they work well.
                  Last edited by Old Ironmaker; May 23rd, 2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post

Our county recycles most If not all electronics. Batteries, TV, printers, computers, displays you name it.

Recycling, do a google search on Plastic China watch the trailer for the film. You will learn the inconvenient truth about recycling. You will no longer feel all warm and fuzzy about putting things in a recycling bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

From what I read on the brochure this is not GPS controlled. There is a boundary wire as well as guide wire buried just below the sod. As far as theft the docking and charge station that it automatically returns to,( so there is GPS involved). Each unit has a personal pin number and is useless to anyone that steals it from the locked charging station.

I won't be spending that much money on a grass robot, I'm an old dinosaur. I'm sure in the near future it will be the norm. I don't even have email on my phone. I actually use my phone to call someone and talk to them. We go to great lengths these days to avoid talking to someone.

So I take it no one here has one or knows if they work well.
                      That should show you that robotic lawn mowers are not that popular.

Comment

No GPS or perimeter wires and guide wires would not be needed. Guide wires are so the thing can find the recharge dock.
                        BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                        Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                        That is what the forums are for.
                        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I'm not a fan of rechargeables. A Tesla can whip a Dodge Challenger in a few drag races, but after the Tesla limps back to the charging station the Challenger is good for a few hundred more miles. I've been watching a TV ad for a rechargeable lawn blower that out pushes a gas blower....for a while.

Current battery capacity is the limit on long term energy/work. My only rechargeable tool is a drill. With a backup battery and charger it has done well. Every other tool is corded, or air operated. Air hoses and extension cords don't bother me much.
                          '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post

Our country ships e-waste to 3rd world countries. We dont recycle as much as its published that we do.
                            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

Our country ships e-waste to 3rd world countries. We dont recycle as much as its published that we do.
                              Thats because labor is too expense to recycle here.

Commodities get shipped all over the world for processing. Why is this a problem?

https://thediplomat.com/2013/11/the-...-urban-mining/

Comment

Working...
                              X