Not a puff of tar in over a month.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We are both doing well with the smokes. With all that's going on in the World I figured that the stress we are all fighting we might as well give it a shot. Did use Nicorette gum and spray for those urges for a while but down to zero now.. I haven't been on my forums for a few weeks. My habit was to fire up the laptop and fire up a smoke at the same time. I found I was reaching for a smash of tar as soon as I was opening my sites. Changing habits is key I think. My wife is doing well too. My truck and her car don't smell like an old time saloon anymore. We live 20 minutes from to First Nations reservations. And the one has the largest cigarette manufacturing facilities in Canada. When the pandemic struck us all the factory closed. I went to buy 2 packs at our local in and out stores. I had not boaught a pack of smokes outside the rez for well over 15 years. 2 packs of 25 cigarettes was $38.00 CDN. Time to quit, that is simply ridiculous. I was up to a pack and a half or more a day. Our budget does not support a $14,000.00 a year, or more, smoking habit. That's a nice chunk of change for a nice new boat in the driveway! My chest id clear, my teeth are white again and my skin colour has improved. I can smell things again, that's not always a good thing. Tich says she is feeling great, she has always looked fabulous but more importantly she has better self esteem knowing she is giving it her best. She is working every day at her pharmacy. She is the lady at the front entrance keeping track of the 15 shoppers only allowed in at a time. I am so proud of her and her staff.

If anyone really wants to chuck the smokes this is a good time to do it, if you really want to quit. One day at a time.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Good for you, Johnny! I quit a pack a day habit about 25 years ago, and I have never since regretted quitting. One of the best decisions I ever made, for the reasons you listed. (Our smokes were not so expensive 25 years ago; the current prices, especially in your part of the world, are crazy!)

Good luck and I hope we're soon hearing about your 6-month anniversary of being a non-smoker!

Jim

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Good on you Old ironmaker. I know from others that quitting and staying tobacco free is one of the toughest things you can do. My mother and my sister both smokers died from lung cancer and my sister from emphysema. I for what ever reason never smoked. I hope you and your wife stay the course and have a long happy life.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
JASinIL2006;n10863233(Our smokes were not so expensive 25 years ago; the current prices said:
How in Hell do you think our Gov gets the money for this " Free " health care? I think it is something like 40% of our entire tax revenues go towards health care in Canada.

Thanks for the encouragement. Not until opening this thread had I even thought about cigarettes today.

Johnny D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congrats on giving it a go on quitting! My. Wife quit 1 year ago and I gave up cigars at the same time ..
Its tough , but you can do it ..

ezbtr

Commander
Awesome!!! I'll be 3 years clean 10/18, after 1.5 packs a day for 28 ish yrs, was approx the 12th time I tried, cold turkey works, saved a ton of $, after 3 mos saved enough for a new 9mm and 20 ga at a GREAT pawn shop here , it'll keep getting easier!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I hope we can keep it up. We have to if only because of the ridiculous price they want for a pack of smokes. I am motivated as much or more about the almighty dollar than anything else. At least I admit it.

I crunched some numbers today. We can trade my truck in on a 2021 Camaro rag top when they come out next year. And trade in Ticha's car on a 2021 Chevy Colorado to tow the boat. Put the truck away in November and use the Camaro. She will be retired then. If the weather is bad we put a pot of coffee on every few hours and snuggle around the fire watching old movies, in Florida. Or Texas Heinz. Maybe back to Mesa Arizona. Perfect for my bones. Just too far when Tich was working.

Last edited:

ezbtr

Commander
I hope we can keep it up. We have to if only because of the ridiculous price they want for a pack of smokes. I am motivated as much or more about the almighty dollar than anything else. At least I admit it.

I crunched some numbers today. We can trade my truck in on a 2021 Camaro rag top when they come out next year. And trade in Ticha's car on a 2021 Chevy Colorado to tow the boat. Put the truck away in November and use the Camaro. She will be retired then. If the weather is bad we put a pot of coffee on every few hours and snuggle around the fire watching old movies, in Florida. Or Texas Heinz. Maybe back to Mesa Arizona. Perfect for my bones. Just too far when Tich was working.

amazing what you can do for yourself when you drop that nasty habit! Minimum $3000 a year saved here :) , We love it here, looking for more land, prices improving :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Over 6 years here ;)

Keep up the great work!!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Still going well for me. My wife however is struggling this time and she usually can quit without the pain. If it weren't for me smoking when she has quit she wouldn't be smoking. I thought it would be easier since I am not smoking in front of her. I think the real test for me will be in public if this social distancing thing is ever lifted. Seeing and smelling someone smoking in front of me might be tough to take. One day at a time. I figure I have already saved $760.00 in smokes already. New big screen combo for the boat or a new electric troller? Decisions, decisions.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
To the OP, great to hear that you have managed to Abstain, keep it up.

ezbtr

Commander
I found its what's between your ears, that was the hardest issue to control, I still get an occasional itch/knee jerk reaction, then I just quickly rethink how far Ive come, what I've saved - go buy something nice, remote control 4x4 truck, guns, happy stuff , and youre still saving money ;)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I found its what's between your ears, that was the hardest issue to control, I still get an occasional itch/knee jerk reaction, then I just quickly rethink how far Ive come, what I've saved - go buy something nice, remote control 4x4 truck, guns, happy stuff , and youre still saving money ;)

I hear you load and clear Heinz. The chemicals are out of your system long before one still has cravings. Once a day I find myself reaching for a cancer stick. A few weeks ago it was often. My habit was 1st thing in AM even before I had a cup of java. Right after a meal and right after I did a chore and I would fire up a smoke as a reward. When I have considered cheating I think about how far we have come as you pointed out. How nice it is to get into my wife's car our my pick up and see a clean interior, no ashes everywhere, overflowing ash tray, nicotine stained windows and the stink. It took me about 6 hours to really detail the interior of my truck. I'm talking a $350.00 interior detail complete with carpet and seat shampoo down to the toothbrush with Spray-9 then Armor-All in all the nooks and crannies. (What is a nook and a cranny? Need to Google those things.) All that work only to go back to square 1,no way. Then there is the improvement physically. My wet cough is gone, it hurt to cough before I quit and that worried me. Pain in a lung is not good to say the least. My teeth are white, I thought they were OK before now I realize how bad they really were. I have a journal I write in when it is smoke time occasionally. I didn't use it this past week. Writing about it here helps too. I know I'm just babbling but babbling has to be better than emphysema any day. Kind of like an AA meeting without the cigarette breaks.

I went and bought a new Natural Gas BBQ this afternoon with some of the coin I have saved from not buying smokes. That feels good not wondering how a purchase that big will effect our budget. Saving in gas by not going anywhere and cheap gas helps too. Gas went up by 12 cents a liter this week. About 48 cents a US gallon. 3.78 liters per U.S. gallon.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Good on ya' Old Ironmaker :

Dad died this past December ultimately of cancer. He had beaten the actual cancer between 2008 and 2012, but the aftershock of the treatments (MDS / pre-leukemia) came on scene in 2019 and took him Home by the end of the year. The cause unquestionably was smoking a pipe for nearly 45 years. He quit cold turkey the day they told him he had cancer. And even 10 years later would occasionally say, "this time of day is still really hard. I wanna' go grab a pipe."

Keep babbling, detailing your truck and cooking on the BBQ - whatever you need - and keep off those cigs. You got lots more to do on this globe and don't wanna' leave too early.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Good on ya' Old Ironmaker :

Dad died this past December ultimately of cancer. He had beaten the actual cancer between 2008 and 2012, but the aftershock of the treatments (MDS / pre-leukemia) came on scene in 2019 and took him Home by the end of the year. The cause unquestionably was smoking a pipe for nearly 45 years. He quit cold turkey the day they told him he had cancer. And even 10 years later would occasionally say, "this time of day is still really hard. I wanna' go grab a pipe."

Keep babbling, detailing your truck and cooking on the BBQ - whatever you need - and keep off those cigs. You got lots more to do on this globe and don't wanna' leave too early.

I am sorry for your loss. We lost Mom and Dad within 8 months of one another between 2018 and 2019. They both smoked for decades but quit in their 50's. They reached a ripe old age and both had a fulfilling life, Dad was 92 and Mom 87. They both went quickly, it was the 2nd time in Dad's 92 years he was in hospital over night. He went to sleep and passed the next day. Mom had a heart attack in their apartment while talking to the Paramedics. She was dead before she hit the floor. I have seen too many people, young and old, waste away in a hospital bed suffering in excruciating pain.

If there is life after death I want to come back as my parents Grand child. Dad said right up until his passing that he still had cravings for a smoke after dinner. The last dinner we had with all 17 of us together at our place was December 27th 2018 and he said it again about cravings. I knew deep down that would most likely the last time everyone of the 3 generations of us will be in the same room. I was right and I think my Family thought that as well as everyone showed up, even a few ex wives I invited. We all had a great time eating too much food, drinking too much home made wine and Crown Royal listening to The 3 Tenors CD's. It was perfect.

southkogs

Staff member
Things were different in the past. My great Grandmother was an OR nurse, and she fell out during a brain surgery (no kidding, in the 1920s). The doc performing the operation checked on her later, and recommended she take up smoking to ease her nerves. My grandfather smoked a pipe (can still smell his tobacco on some of the books and things I inherited from him), my uncles smoked, etc. Sensibilities were what they were.

Dad didn't really suffer. His last six months were rough, but he didn't hurt and he was in good spirits the whole time. So, even that wasn't bad (in that sense). And he would have enjoyed sipping Crown (not his favorite, but it's good and a nod to our Northern Neighbors), and he would have LOVED listening to the three tenors.

In the end, you want as much life as the Good Lord will give. And while He can always override the smokes, I suppose, you really wanna' try working in your own favor as much as you can.

ezbtr

Commander
this is a good topic, hey if ya'll want look up Heinz Forster, Hutto, TX, its good to have support , oh tornado/hail etc watch here, now, on FB request mention Iboats