Covid-19 Heat Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yeah, although I'm high risk, I don't really want to be a first adopter for a vaccine. Maybe a month later or something.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Two of the companies involved in vaccines don't have any track record. One has never ever received any approval for past vaccines after numerous attempts and another has has never produced any vaccine or medical product. They are both touting their success with a COVID vaccine before review - I think they are intentionally bumping their stock price and there have been reports of stock sales by the principals.

Both are saying antibodies are produced by their versions of a vaccine. There are reports that some recovered COVID patients had antibodies and they disappeared after a short time, like 30 days or so. Will a vaccine be different or will booster shots be a monthly thing?

Rushing a COVID vaccine with a very short testing may not be a good thing. This isn't like flu vaccines which have been made for years and they only need 5-6 months to modify for the predicted strains and have it ready for the Fall flu season. I'll get my flu shot, but completely undecided about a COVID shot.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
. I'll get my flu shot, but completely undecided about a COVID shot.

Thats if they give you a choice ..They will probably want to add a chip under your skin for public health reasons at the same time .. Just to keep up with your well being .:suspicious: . :tinfoil3:. :)

GA_Boater

Thats if they give you a choice ..They will probably want to add a chip under your skin for public health reasons at the same time .. Just to keep up with your well being .:suspicious: . :tinfoil3:. :)

Please! No :tinfoil3: for me.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, although I'm high risk, I don't really want to be a first adopter for a vaccine. Maybe a month later or something.

I'm medium risk and I'll keep a mask on and wash my hands for at least six months after a vaccine.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm waiting for China to pop up shortly and tell the world they have a vaccine for sell for Corona. I mean talk about making a mint for that? And sadly it wouldn't surprise me in the least... I have to say, I don't trust China about anything these days...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
jn1Admd.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Chip? Never.... They've been talking about it for awhile which would contain your medical records for faster access in an emergency. . No thanks...

nola mike

Vice Admiral

OK, well sorta. Good news is that "immunity" on an individual scale isn't super duper important. The paper didn't measure the body's response to a reinfection, which is probably more important. Most/all infections have decreasing antibody titers over time, just a question of how long. So basically, you can get reinfected (have the virus circulating in the body), but the body will ramp up a response much more quickly than during the initial infection. So you might not show symptoms even if infected, and the symptoms are probably milder even if reinfected. This is super good news, as some viruses cause a hyperimmune response on reinfection, causing worse symptoms than the initial infection.

What's the upshot?

--Herd immunity isn't likely to happen if these results hold. That's because the virus can still circulate within the community
--We're going to potentially have a hard time determining who's been infected. Public health repercussions because again, if there have been a bunch of infections that we don't know about, the mortality and hospitalizations will be less than expected as people mount a quick response the second time around.
--You'll probably need frequent booster shots of a vaccine. I have certainly counted on this assuming that the virus will mutate, but this would be another reason.

I'm guessing that eventually this is going to act like the seasonal flu and follow the trajectory of the spanish flu. Hopefully we can short circuit the massive number of deaths by getting a vaccine sooner rather than later.

Damn that's a long response. You can always tell when I'm at a computer v. a phone...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
It just never seems to end. :mad:

My wife was supposed to come out of home isolation today. Didn't happen. :blue:

Yesterday, she and her co-teacher were both sent home early because they were exhibiting symptoms. Their section teacher complement is now down 60%. :cool:

My wife went to the doctor yesterday afternoon and he ordered Covid-19 tests. She got those done today but results won't be available for 3-5 days. I don't know if those are "business days" or not.

Meanwhile, m'lady is banished to the spare room for the duration. :painkiller:

GA_Boater

tpenfield

Staff member
Like so many things in life . . . you are either part of the solution or part of the problem; there is no middle ground.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My wife finally got her Covid-19 test results today. Negative! :)

BUT!

She actually had to call the clinic a SECOND time in order to get the results. She had called 5 days ago and got a gruff response to "just wait until we call you." Which they never did.

Her co-worker had been tested the day after my wife but received HER results 5 days ago and didn't tell anyone. When my wife learned that today, she immediately called the test clinic and explained the situation to a different clerk and was given her results.

She went over and picked up her paperwork this afternoon and will be returning to work tomorrow.

She'd been in home isolation (she still worked) for nearly 3 weeks and was in complete isolation for another 10 days after that.. Total time was about a month. We're all glad that she's out but unhappy that she spent 5 extra days isolated when it wasn't needed. :mad:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe the only way for this Corona Virus to end, is for it to migrate/evolve to some other form that isn't deadly. I mean I could see that happening. That is the reason we get flu shots every year. The previous flu evolved from their previous make up. IDK

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, school started here this week. We elected to have the boy stay home and use the digital learning option... just in case. :rolleyes:

Today, the school called and said that someone (either a teacher or student) tested positive for Covid-19. Wow, it only took 3 days after school started! But we clearly made the right choice! :cool:

Of course, that's nothing compared to what happened farther south of us. 105 students and 2 teachers were sent home for a 14 day quarantine because the two teachers tested Covid positive. One infected the other because they didn't social distance or use PPE at lunch! :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.