Covid-19 Heat Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Iif the virus gets killed at 78F why don't we heat buildings to 80F ?
This time of year our home heating system should be able to easily bring our homes over the temperature required to kill the virus. Heating the indoor work spaces should not be a problem either. I can remember in the years when I first started to work, there were not air conditioned factories and the sweat just poured out our bodies (didn't smell too good). It seems to me that the outbreak would be reduced and many lives would be spared.

Please stay home & stay well.
Levittownnick

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Then why is C19 in almost all countries, including the parts of the globe where even overnight temperatures are above 80 degrees?

CDC says no data exists;

Generally coronaviruses survive for shorter periods at higher temperatures and higher humidity than in cooler or dryer environments. However, we don’t have direct data for this virus, nor do we have direct data for a temperature-based cutoff for inactivation at this point. The necessary temperature would also be based on the materials of the surface, the environment, etc.

tpenfield

Staff member
78˚ F . . . . must be fake news . . . :noidea: . . . maybe 78 ˚ C

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Australia has just been through the hottest Easter for 100 years. Coronavirus not dead!

Way too many myths and fallacies out there about this virus. Salt water does not kill it, high temperature does not kill it (high enough to kill the virus would also kill the host, US!), cold doesn't kill it....

Follow HEALTH AUTHORITIES advise! not facebook, not twitter, not youtube, not tictic....

Chris.......

achris

^^^This. Stupid rest of the world (except myanmar) and their stupid science based measuring system.

:facepalm:

Only a few third world countries continue using the archaic measuring systems (pound, feet, Fahrenheit). And you're saying it's the rest of the world that is at fault? That slaps of an 'I'm right, no matter how many people tell me I'm wrong' attitude.

The 'scientific' measurement system actually makes far more sense. Using water as the basis of the system, the freezing point being 0 and the boiling point being 100... Fahrenheit uses 32 and 212...What exactly is that based on? It's actually a couple of numbers pulled out of, let's say 'the air'.... I read up on how the F scale was arrived at... Still doesn't make any sense to me.

In short, get with the program that the rest of the world is using. And the sooner the better. BTW, you do realise all your scientists use the metric system and just convert it to imperial for 'public consumption'... They would love nothing more than to scrap the imperial and just go metric, like the rest of the developed world.

Chris.......

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Dude, that was sarcasm. Seriously, myanmar? :faint2:
(And I'm one of the ones using metric professionally)

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Usually when one uses Myanmar as your yardstick (meter stick? What do you people call it?) for progress, you're not in good company. Forgot about Liberia. I've never been to either.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Well, I never know with some of you Yanks... ;)

And yeah, I missed that. I've been to Myanmar, and they are metric.

Chris......

Worth a read....

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-Liber...-metric-system

(USA is 'officially' metric.. So when are it's citizens going to follow suit?)

:facepalm:
Not sure why you are so down on Americans (numerous posts and a pretty pointed PM to me)....or why you are so unable to detect tongue-in-cheek comments without overreacting.
Maybe it is the heat and too much beer down under....or is that a stereotype too?

(Hint....S-A-R-C-A-S-M) :)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Dude, that was sarcasm. Seriously, myanmar? :faint2:
(And I'm one of the ones using metric professionally)

I have a skewed sarcastic sense of humour too Mike. It gets me in trouble often especially when it's written down not spoken like in the old days when people actually talked 1 on 1. That's 1 reason I didn't have long conversations via email. You can't hear a tone of voice or chuckle in an email or text. I guess that's why people use things like those little cartoon things and LOL etc. many times, I refuse to.

As far as hi temps killing C-19, more fake news that becomes real if it's said enough times.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Jimmy Carter promised we would be on the metric system in 5 years.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Actually 5, 6, 7 ,8 ,9, 10mm etc. makes more sense than 64ths, 32nds, 16ths, 8ths and so on...

If heat kills the virus, why the outbreak in Florida where it's been in the 90s, S Bama in the 80s, SoCal, AZ.......

achris

..If heat kills the virus, why the outbreak in Florida where it's been in the 90s, S Bama in the 80s, SoCal, AZ.......

And in Perth, where we had over 37 at easter, the hottest in over 100 years!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
More than 35 years after we had gone to the metric system in Canada, goods are sold by the kilo but tags are still on stuff in Imperial. Close to standard US. In my corporation 1 plant was operating on metric and the other on the Imperial system. It's not like we were in a different country or another province we were a 45 minute drive away for God sakes. And everyone was surprised we filed for bankruptcy protection, big surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.