Do you think you will change after this Corona thing has been defeated?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I am sure I will be more diligent in public as far as little things like sneezing into my arm not into my hands as I was taught many years ago to do. I am always reaching out my hand to greet or meet someone. If you are femaleand you are a close freind or relative you get the 2 cheek kiss from me, even some guys. I'm of 100% Italian decent, that's what we do. That may change. It is automatic that I reach out my hand when I greet a friend or I am introduced to someone, male and female, automatic, I don't think that will change .If they don't offer a hand that may be awkward or strange. I met a woman I lived with for 3 years last week for the 1st time in 30 years and we toe bumped. She looks great too.

How about you guys?

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
There is definitely going to be less handshaking in my future. Wouldn't surprise me if the handshake is replaced with something else. Maybe a toe bump lol. I think more and more grocery stores will discourage handling produce. Hopefully we see more washrooms eliminate doors with handles. I can't stand to touch a nasty door handle with my freshly washed hands. Especially at restaurants.

fishrdan

Admiral
Give is a year and I doubt people will even be talking about Covid-19. We have been through similar virus' and it hasn't been whipped into a frenzy like this current round. Nothing sells better than bad news, and the media has created quite a hysteria over the latest "pandemic".

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Hmmmm,

Nothing ever changes vs. everything is constantly changing ????

I rarely shake hands now, unless someone introduces themself.
Hug? only 6 people in that ground all are hundreds of miles away..
Probably will just ignore people in the future as I'm turning into a grumpy old basst*rd and most
of my family will soon be dead.
Certainly won't toe bump.

As a society, I see little changing. Even now, saw late nite tv show where the host and guests were hugging and high giving with the audience.

Millenials and gen x'ers may be forced to learn how to cook.

There will be another push to eliminate currency.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Probably not. Been honing my social distancing skills for years... lol

I didn’t surround myself with 30 acres in the middle of an Agricultural preservation area because I love having neighbors....

I can identify members of the local deer herd by their markings. I know when and where old Tom turkey will first strut his stuff outback, but couldn’t pick the neighbor of 25 years on the other side of us out of a line up to save myself.

Kind of funny considering I’m in international Sales, Spent my entire career traveling the globe in pursuit of the next system sell. Meeting and entertaining people is part of my job description.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Talked to someone yesterday who said he had a gun and knew how to hunt.-----Said he knew a farmer with 100 acres and about 60 head of cattle.----He figured he could get about 1 rabbit a week on that farm.--------I said the farmer might want to hire you to protect his herd of cattle from thieves !!-------Folks in the country can handle / feed themselves, it is the city folks that scare me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
^^^^^^ On a sad note or happy note - There are no gangs in the country. All city folks.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Give is a year and I doubt people will even be talking about Covid-19. We have been through similar virus' and it hasn't been whipped into a frenzy like this current round. Nothing sells better than bad news, and the media has created quite a hysteria over the latest "pandemic".

Wow....just wow. It is amazing that some are still in denial. .Putting pandemic in quotation marks is unnecessary and actually shows ignorance of the word. The situation in which we all find ourselves is described perfectly in one word ... pandemic. Look it up in any dictionary, it actually seems tailor-made. :)

For a better and accurate explanation, if that even interests you, check out the WHO version :=> https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/deta...-11-march-2020

1) I'll give you a year... and we will all still be dealing with this. This is still totally out of control precisely because the authorities everywhere intially downplayed the severity and were slow to get their acts together., and that many still have their heads firmly in the sand or up their wazoos. # Failed leadership # What? Me worry?

2) Been through similar viruses? Exactly when? There has never been anything like this on a global scale. The speed and range that this has been spread speaks to the travel levels worldwide and how easily these pathogens migrate.
# you ain't seen nothing yet. # in a war # invisible enemy

3) It is always easy to blame media, some politicians make a career of it. I have seen zero hysteria from media....only from the public. I think the media have done a really good job in their coverage of NOT whipping this into a frenzy. They have stuck to the facts which is more than many in the administration have done.
The media did not suggest hoarding toilet paper....milk....hand sanitizer..,.etc. Or buying up all the hand sanitiser in a 3 county area and selling it on eBay and Craigs List etc for up to $80- per bottle (unless you think that is just free enterprise at its finest). . # NOT fake news

DeepCMark58A said:
I will remember how I watched people treat other people and their actions.Selfish, self absorbed, jerks.

We are all in this together and unless we present a united front and acknowledge that sometimes the good of the many outweighs the convenience of the one and adjust our behaviour accordingly (as recommended by those who actually DO know what is going on) this is going to be an even rockier road than it already is. # Selfish, self absorbed, jerks. (thanks Mark :) that sums it up nicely) # Isn't Evangeline Lilly just a peach?

Be wise and be safe everyone!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Population in China is said to be 1.4 BILLION.------Population in ITALY is 60 million.------The death toll in ITALY is now more people than CHINA.---The math is staggering if you multiply the Chinese death toll by 25.----------All I say is this thing is serious and the worst is yet to come.----Stay home as much as possible !

GA_Boater

I think some of us should turn off their TVs or switch channels.

When you are sick, do you go to the doctor or start cruising Youtube, Twitter or Instagram looking for a cure?

When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, my wife and I talked about it and we both used the Internet. Not any social network, but places like WebMD, American Cancer Society and others of that ilk, like cancer support groups. We needed to gather information on what steps to take. You can't make any credible decisions based on jabbering from crackpots and liars.

With COVID19 all around most of us, open your eyes and ears. No miracles are coming. It isn't going away when summer comes. It's spreading in the tropics and the southern hemisphere, it is everywhere.

An untested drug cocktail isn't going to save your life, in fact it will kill most who use it if you aren't in perfect health. The only test study I can find was 26 people, 6 got the cocktail and 20 got a placebo. One of the 6 died from the side effects.

In the beginning of this pandemic, before it was labeled a pandemic, we were told elderly with health issues like me were in the most dangerous category. As more and more are diagnosed and dying, we've found out COVID19 has no distinction for young or old, political affiliation, race, creed or religion. It is a disaster for humanity.

COVID19 is a respiratory disease. Of those who get it and survive, many will have permanent lung damage. This disease will be with you the rest of your life.

Be smart and stay inside as much as possible, wash your hands, try not to touch your face and clean surfaces in your home.

Will we be talking about COVID19 a year from now? Yes, we will. It's going to talking about remembrances. Remember Grandma and Grandpa, remember Mom and Dad, remember your husbands and wives, remember your children, remember your brothers and sisters, remember your aunts and uncles and cousins, remember your neighbors.

Don't forget to remember the deniers, since they didn't believe it would happen to them.

If you're lucky, someone will remember you.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Talked to someone yesterday who said he had a gun and knew how to hunt.-----Said he knew a farmer with 100 acres and about 60 head of cattle.----He figured he could get about 1 rabbit a week on that farm.--------I said the farmer might want to hire you to protect his herd of cattle from thieves !!-------Folks in the country can handle / feed themselves, it is the city folks that scare me.

Was it me talking to you yesterday? We are in the same situation. The farmers will trade me meat for fish. I have a volleyball net and a 22. I don't think the C.O.'s will be fining citizens if it becomes Armageddon. Better to be prepared than not. Had a 5 day blackout here after a March ice storm and were trapped indoors because of downed power poles and wires. We were just fine here in the country. Crank radio, VHF radio and 5 12V batteries available, still had Natural Gas for cooking and some heat and plenty of firewood for our next door neighbours wood stove. We slept there and she spent her days with meals here. I taught her and my wife to play poker. I ended up a hundred bucks up.

I can't agree with GA_Boater enough. I learned a long time ago to get information from those that have the answer, 1st hand. I also learned not to believe everything I heard or read, especially on the interweb. Even for medical info. it's hard to go through all these sites and decide which is real or just fake news. Especially for medical info. I as well was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer in 011'. Between the time I was told and until the day of surgery the info on the interweb convinced me I was going to wear an external bag or gonna die. I didn't even have to get post op. treatments thank God.

Please stop telling people things "you heard" on the news or TV, things are changing hourly. I listen to Dr. Tony Fauci on Vice Pres. Pence's team or my Prime Minister.

My wife has been going into work this entire time, had her schedule changed almost daily and found out this AM that her CEO of Loblaws has given her and others a 2 buck an hour raise retroactive to make up for lost commissions and will continue to get it for the near future. I don't know if 2 bucks an hour is worth it but better than a smack in the yap. I wanted her to stay home until yesterday. We were together 24/7 with nowhere we could go other than a ride in the car. Now I have to rethink this staying home together.

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander
I hope like hell this thing changes people's attitudes. First and foremost, preparedness. During every hurricane the same tired old recommendations are ignored: 'Keep a two week stock of household food and essentials AT ALL TIMES".

Also the generally ignored: "Sock away enough cash to support yourself/family for 6-8 months".

This goes in one ear and out the other for most. COVID will be nasty, but also a sign of worse things to come. So I hope people finally wake up. ..we ain't in Kansas anymore.

fishrdan

Admiral
Wow....just wow. It is amazing that some are still in denial. .Putting pandemic in quotation marks is unnecessary and actually shows ignorance of the word. The situation in which we all find ourselves is described perfectly in one word ... pandemic. Look it up in any dictionary, it actually seems tailor-made. :)

For a better and accurate explanation, if that even interests you, check out the WHO version :=> https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/deta...-11-march-2020

1) I'll give you a year... and we will all still be dealing with this. This is still totally out of control precisely because the authorities everywhere intially downplayed the severity and were slow to get their acts together., and that many still have their heads firmly in the sand or up their wazoos. # Failed leadership # What? Me worry?

2) Been through similar viruses? Exactly when? There has never been anything like this on a global scale. The speed and range that this has been spread speaks to the travel levels worldwide and how easily these pathogens migrate.
# you ain't seen nothing yet. # in a war # invisible enemy

3) It is always easy to blame media, some politicians make a career of it. I have seen zero hysteria from media....only from the public. I think the media have done a really good job in their coverage of NOT whipping this into a frenzy. They have stuck to the facts which is more than many in the administration have done.
The media did not suggest hoarding toilet paper....milk....hand sanitizer..,.etc. Or buying up all the hand sanitiser in a 3 county area and selling it on eBay and Craigs List etc for up to $80- per bottle (unless you think that is just free enterprise at its finest). . # NOT fake news

We are all in this together and unless we present a united front and acknowledge that sometimes the good of the many outweighs the convenience of the one and adjust our behaviour accordingly (as recommended by those who actually DO know what is going on) this is going to be an even rockier road than it already is. # Selfish, self absorbed, jerks. (thanks Mark :) that sums it up nicely) # Isn't Evangeline Lilly just a peach?

Be wise and be safe everyone!

- SARS (coronavirus) from 2003-2004 killed about 10% of the people infected. (not declared a pandemic)
- H1N1 from 2010, about 12,000-13,000 died in the US (declared a pandemic)
- MERS (coronavirus) from 2009 killed abut 34% of the people it infected. (not declared a pandemic)

- COVID-19 mortality rate in South Korea is about 0.6%
- COVID-19 mortality rate in Italy is about 5%, but they are not accurately tracking COVID-19 mortality in Italy and their population is very old, median age being 47 years old.

Where was the hysteria back in 2010 with H1N1 when 60 million were infected in the US and 12,000 died?... Could this be a similar threat? YES! But we lived through it, and without the hysterics being seen with Covid-19.

GA_Boater

"Sock away enough cash to support yourself/family for 6-8 months".

That would be nice, but the majority don't have the means. Too many live paycheck to paycheck and can't save that much, if save at all.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
That would be nice, but the majority don't have the means. Too many live paycheck to paycheck and can't save that much, if save at all.

Tell you what when I had two kids in college I was darn near in that boat, not anymore my first goal was to have a healthy reserve. We decided we also need to have cash on hand so we have $2000 in a mason jar.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Tell you what when I had two kids in college I was darn near in that boat, not anymore my first goal was to have a healthy reserve. We decided we also need to have cash on hand so we have $2000 in a mason jar.

Cash isn't worth much when there isn't anything important to buy on the shelves.It might not be a good idea to tell everyone out here in cyber space you have 2 grand cash on hand. I don't believe we will get that bad, or I should say I pray we don't get that bad. I have relatives in Italy, it is that bad there. They are rationing. .Living in the country is an advantage now. I've been assured by a friend that has beef and dairy cattle, sheep and pork we will all have plenty of food locally. I can trade him meat for fish, wood from our wood lot for meat and I can work the farm for food. He usually has a dozen farm workers here from out of the country for planting, not this year. It's comforting to know we won't go hungry at least. We have fresh water in our back yard as far as the eye can see.