Do you think you will change after this Corona thing has been defeated?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some time ago they stopped international air travel into the USA and CANADA.-------But to date there are no forced restrictions on domestic travel.---In Australia apparently they are going toimplement and ENFORCE rules for folks to stay in their local region.-----So if NEW YORK city / state is the hotspot , how are they stopping a possible exodus from there.-------I say this VIRUS is coming to your state / county very soon !

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Soon to be 102 responses...😳

No, I didn't read thru them, but, will it be defeated,? Or, will it come back this winter like the flu?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
C19 is in your state, no need to wait for it to arrive. Here in GA, C19 stats are updated twice daily and list of affected counties grows with each update.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And there are hundreds of mild cases that go unreported...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That may be the case, but at the moment, the one thing lacking is any sort of sense, common or otherwise.

STAY AT HOME! (and that means AT HOME! No friends over for a BBQ, no parties, no family gatherings)

Chris.........

In the last 2 weeks we have been out a total of 2 times - once for food and once to pick up prescriptions for BP meds.

(OK, when I got the food i also got 2 - 30 packs.)

We have also taken several 2-mile walks around the neighborhood, passing a heck of a lot of other neighbors doing the same. I'm sure there are idiots out there defying the regs, but the residents in my neighborhood appear to be mostly compliant.

One of my sons lives 4 houses down the street. He is a site manager in a highly essential facility with about 400 employees. He said that a flu-like illness stormed thru his plant right after Christmas. He swears it was C-19, but that's another story. Right now he drives to and from the plant and that's all.

In any event, yesterday was his birthday. I called him up, took a walk over to his house, layed the present on the porch next to the front door and waved at him thru the window.

GA_Boater

Jim - Is 2 30's enough? I'm rationing already.

We have no idea when the first cases arrived, so it's possible it did rip through your son's workplace. Most likely early cases were blamed on seasonal flu.

BD present delivery was done the best way. :thumb:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
On a positive note. I can't believe how much money I have saved since this thing hit us. Our driveway is always full with folks visiting us, even in winter. Mostly folks from the city who take a ride in the country and stop by our lake place. I love folks stopping in, just call at least 15 minutes before so I can make the bed and flush the tiolet not when you are in the driveway. No more family and freind BBQ's, plates of anti pasta, big platters of home made pasta and sauce, and no more serving copious amounts of libations. We no longer drink much booze anymore like we did 20 years ago but I always have enough on hand for guests. I am down to 2 beers in the fridge and a gallon of red wine. I'm following what our Gov says and there is no need to run to the in and out store for booze. I have to practice what I preach. I am retired and my wife is still going into her work. Normally this time of year I might go into town twice a week and treat myself and friends to lunch when it's my turn and it seems it's always my turn, spend money on stuff I don't need at our Canadian Tire store, like Pep Boys on steroids, and buy stuff like tools on sale I already have doubles and triples of, pick up some viddles and visit friends at our local Legion. I have been in public once in the last 12 days and have only spent money on food the one day we did go out. If this keeps up I will be able to buy a new 24V electric troller for the boat with what I'm not spending. Hopefully this won't last long but I need to look at the positives like not being able to spend any money on stuff I don't need.

There is better information about this invisible enemy here on iboats than CBC, CNN, NSNBC, ABC, FOX NEWS and all the rest put together.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Where i worked at one time we went through thousands and thousands of pairs of gloves and disposable protective gear.------All to keep an enemy at bay that you could measure but not see.----Called------- RADIATION----.-----This covid 19 is an enemy that you can not see and can not measure for.--------Sadly this enemy will sneak up and SLAM many folks .-----Young and old it does not care.-------Unfortunately our authorities have little or no knowledge of what is going on.-----Italy alone has one of the highest TOURISM visiting rates in the world.----Up to 60.000,000 a year.------1,200,000 a week.----call it 1000 aircraft a day.---I read that folks now need a reason / permit to be out on the street in some areas.----Already 52 doctors gone.-----The HORSES left the barn a month ago.----Stay home and use the phone.

GA_Boater

And remember the doctors and nurses who are forced to continue working in the ERs and ICUs after testing positive. Not only are supplies in short supply, our medical staffs are also running low while trying to treat patients.

Desperate times call for desperate measures that could have been minimized if not avoided with just a little thinking and listening. All the bragging in the world doesn't save one life!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
----Stay home and use the phone.

In the midst of all this my landline phone went out of service. I found t when I tried to call my sister.

When I got it fixed I couldn't call her because her phone line went out.

We don't live in the same area. Talk about coincidences.

Funny thing....NOW she decided to get internet at her house...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use Weather Underground for my weather. A recent change is the addition of C19 data for your county. It's only for US locations. https://www.wunderground.com/ This part of the info for my location.

Plug your Zip Code in the Search Locations box to get your local weather and C19 stats. Clicking on View WunderMap under your county stats brings up a large map and moving the cursor over a county shows the stats for the county.

Y'all be careful! and watch for the early signs. Losing your sense of taste or smell are some of the earliest signs, before you start showing feeling bad.

My weather station is hooked up to Underground and as an owner that is tied into the system, I get emails from them just about every day and the virus box shows on the future forecast page.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
And remember the doctors and nurses who are forced to continue working in the ERs and ICUs after testing positive.

A friend of ours has a very demanding boss. If she takes a sick day, she is automatically fired. So, what does she do? She goes to work if she's sick.

This was along before the virus.

Guess where she works? She's a food service worker in a hospital.!!

GA_Boater

Yeah, I didn't mention all the folks working during this. Food service, truckers, warehouse, stockers, mail carriers, police, firemen and many, many more.

Maybe your friends boss will get sick and learn he/she is actually human.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
---In Australia apparently they are going to implement and ENFORCE rules for folks to stay in their local region.-----

In my state (WA, not Washington ;). And to put the land area of my WA into context, it's 14 times bigger than your WA, and almost 4 times the size of Texas), that comes in on Monday night. $50,000 fine for attempting to breach a boundary without a reason too. This came about because we are starting school break, and after being told to not travel away, thousands ignored it and hooked up caravans and boats and heading off as if nothing was different. State Premier (like your state governor) was furious, so basically just shut the state road system down. Police are in location on boundaries and ARE issuing $50,000 fines.

I suspect the next isolation regime will be electoral boundaries. Which will divides the city into about 20 areas. Each area has enough facilities to provide for the local community, and I suspect people will try to ignore that too, by... trying to visit friends and relatives. :facepalm:

Chris.........

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are many ways to look at it.----Easy to be an armchair quarterback too.------But look at the numbers.----They say that at any given time there are 500,000 people on board aircraft around the globe.------I understand that rules are in place if you want to take a cat or a dog on an international flight..----You need full paper work from a vet to make sure the critter is healthy , has all the shots..-------People on the other hand can as long as you appear to be healthy can get on board.------The people are given " free shots " while they are on board.----You have to wonder if that makes any sense at all.----

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A friend of ours has a very demanding boss. If she takes a sick day, she is automatically fired. So, what does she do? She goes to work if she's sick.

This was along before the virus.

Guess where she works? She's a food service worker in a hospital.!!

If a manager or owner tried that in Ontario they would be facing big fines and paying lost wages and a big severance. Do you guys not have OSHA in NY? A worker in Ontario can refuse to work if that worker deems it to be unsafe. Then there is a joint investigation and if a compromise is not reached The Ministry of Labour is called in.

Many governments around the World is restricting travel etc. Maybe too little to late. Hind sight is 20/20. No one could have predicted what a state of emergency we are all in today. If some scientist did predict this months ago they would have been ignored. Can you imagine if you woke one morning and were told you can not travel freely or go to work, or anywhere and the military was out in full force to stop you? I can't. This thing is turning into a bad Sci-Fi movie.

Read the report below. If the young lady knew her rights under Ontario labour law all she had to do was tell her supervisor she is refusing what she deems to be unsafe work. I bet McDonalds managers even know what The Occupational Health and Safety Act even is or have never taken the time to open the book that is supposed to be available for all employees to read. We hung ours in all the lunchrooms and control rooms.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/fake-coronavirus-mcdonalds-rymal-road-1.5512018

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yeah, I didn't mention all the folks working during this. Food service, truckers, warehouse, stockers, mail carriers, police, firemen and many, many more.

Maybe your friends boss will get sick and learn he/she is actually human.

Add cosmeticians that work in a pharmacy such as my wife to your list. Make up, perfume and hair colour is an essential service, yea right.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.-------People on the other hand can as long as you appear to be healthy can get on board.------

Ya think?

I have had to threaten to leave a facility (offshore) because someone arriving who were obviously very sick. OIM wanted to put the guy in the same cabin as me, and I was having none of it! Told him to get me off, threatened to sleep in the container out on deck (which was my control room) if he didn't...

Airline staff, and heliport staff don't give 2... If someone can walk, they are allowed on a aeroplane/helicopter. I have been saying this for YEARS. People who are sick, should be turned away at the airport! It's so grossly inconsiderate to everybody else on that flight to subject them to one person's diseases. And now when we have recirculated air inside aircraft (since the advent of non-smoking flights), the chances of catching what someone else has, goes up exponentially.

Add cosmeticians that work in a pharmacy such as my wife to your list. Make up, perfume and hair colour is an essential service, yea right.

Adding classes of workers to 'essential services' is a way of keeping them off the unemployment list. If a person is forced out of work by shutdown measures, the government pays. If they CHOOSE to leave, the government has every right to tell them to fend for themselves.

We have a situation here in WA (see above what 'WA' means to me) with hairdressers. While it could be argued that a haircut isn't essential (though that might be challenged when some of us see our admirals after a month of no hairstyling :eek:), they are generally not in much danger of being afflicted...

Many here are arguing the opposite, saying that they are touching client's hair. Yes, but with gloves on,and usually shampoo in the hair. Not too many viruses going to survive that! Most people are looking at the ones saying they should be shut down and see someone wanting a free ride! It's a tough situation. To call someone out for being a bludger in the face of a pandemic seems heartless, but I know how some people think, and if a free ride comes along, they'll take it!

Chris.......

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That reminds me I need a hair cut ... What little there is left ...
‘Guess I’ll just let the ol “ freak flag “ fly a bit longer til things get better ..