Do you think you will change after this Corona thing has been defeated?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I bought a bottle of cheapo Ever Clear. 95% Ethanol. No health hazards...other than over indulging. I used it to top off partial bottles of sanitizer. The ratio is fine, but the fumes give me a buzz.

add rose water to it..... some aloe gel and you have hand sanitizer

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One of the issues is that not everybody in North America or elsewhere has a grade 12 education or speaks ENGLISH.----Not sure if the straight forward instructions are put out in 25 languages in NORTH AMERICA.-------I used to work in a place where we used thousands of pairs of gloves to prevent spread of contamination.----Contamination that could be measured on the spot and dealt with instantly.----Today it is apparent that some folks have reported where they think they were when they travelled.-----Ski resorts in the ALPS and authorities in Europe said.----" highly unlike that this virus in in our wee towns and bars "----They are scrambling now.

harringtondav

Commander
Getting back to Old Ironmaker 's OP. This mess has one silver lining for me. No more hugging! My wife has six sisters, and they all lunge for me like I'm Sam Elliot.

Over the years I've tried different blocking moves, bobbing & weaving, etc. I simply don't like hugs. I go out of my way to not endear myself to the gals, but they just keep coming. One has a 25 yr old son who tries it. After a soft block and a death grip hand shake he backed off.

So from now on when someone moves in, it will be a polite stiff arm, and whisper Coronavirus. .....I plan on milking this until I go toes up.

The Force power

Commander
I'm one that works in the "essential-service" industries and can say the only good thing about all of this, is the reduction in traffic.
I'm home in half the time than normal

Thank God for our premier considering our Beer & Liqueur-stores are "essential" therefor stay open

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In some countries the elected officials do NOT use alcohol as a tax revenue.-----Instead they keep the stuff at very low prices so the folks will all vote for you !

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So you have enough stock piled to make it through stay in place orders. How about eggs?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/busin...rus/index.html

As Roseanne Roseannadanna, played by the late Gilda Radner on SNL said "Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it’s always something — if it ain’t one thing, it’s another."

dwco5051

Commander
Ah, the smell of mimeograph fluid while spending time in detention making copies. Crank, crank, crank over and over again. After all these years I can still recall the smell.

If I remember right it reminded me of cabbage.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
So you have enough stock piled to make it through stay in place orders. How about eggs?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/busin...rus/index.html

As Roseanne Roseannadanna, played by the late Gilda Radner on SNL said "Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it’s always something — if it ain’t one thing, it’s another."

Close friends with chickens. I usually have a few dozen in the fridge.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I use acetone to clean my hands.........

This is not the first global pandemic, this wont be the last.

I will add this year so far:
the current Influenza A has killed over 111 thousand people globally....... not considered a pandemic.
Malaria has killed over 224 thousand people globally........ not considered a pandemic.
3 million have died of general communicable diseases (big general category by the WHO)....... not considered a pandemic

for some reason, 400k people infected and 17.8k deaths is a global pandemic and mass panic ensues.

is it scary...... yes, ....

I think most people are missing the big issue with COVID19. It's not the mortality rate, or the fact that we don't know how to cure/prevent it, yet... The big issue is the infection RATE. This is by far, the most infectious virus of all the ones we have seen in our lifetime (and some of us are old!).

When one carrier can infect DOZENS of other people in such a short space of time, and without even showing symptoms, that is scary! This particular virus can live for DAYS on surfaces. Someone with the virus walks up a set of stairs, and for the next 3 days just about anybody else who touches the handrails that the infected person touched, has a better than even chance of contracting it... It is HIGHLY contagious! And that's why it's been classed as a pandemic when it hasn't YET infected as many as those others you cite.

Chris.........

DeepCMark58A

Commander
People just quit stocking up, there is not a real shortage, take what you need not what your greed makes you want. People are being selfish and rude, self-centered.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
People just quit stocking up, there is not a real shortage, take what you need not what your greed makes you want. People are being selfish and rude, self-centered.

Only takes one moron to cause a rush and panic buying...

DeepCMark58A

Commander
People getting a place in line before a store opens so they can rush in and get 5 of what item they "need". Chuckle heads in line not 6' apart.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I'm one that works in the "essential-service" industries and can say the only good thing about all of this, is the reduction in traffic.
I'm home in half the time than normal

Thank God for our premier considering our Beer & Liqueur-stores are "essential" therefor stay open

My morning commute is down from 1 hour to 39 minutes
My afternoon commute is down from 75-80 minutes to 45 minutes
my average speed is up from 42-43mph to 60mph
my fuel economy is up from 25mpg to almost 30

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Only takes one moron to cause a rush and panic buying...

Yes, but the recent problem was caused by a whole bunch of morons, all working together.

Happily, I think the rush is over.

I got an e-mail today that my prescription was ready. There had been a run on it and it was out of stock, not because of virus, but because of the zantac cancer scare.

So I was happy that my heartburn will be relieved......LOL. While at the store I was also happy to see that the shelves are now fully stocked and anything yo want is there.

The only continuing shortage is bullets, but that is no problem for me since I stocked up way before it was evident that there would be a run on that, not due to corona but other reasons.

Anywhoot, my boats are all ready to go and i'm looking forward to the best boating season ever.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

My longest commute was an hour each way in good weather. I was only 25 and I did not like it one bit. I asked for a transfer and got it otherwise I would have looked for a new career. The biggest difference between a commute in Ontario and Florida is the winter. You pass Gators and Palm trees we pass 53' trailers in the ditches.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Living in an area where the majority are government employees, our highways are pretty barren.

My 30 minute commute is down to 25 minutes each way. No longer enforcing speed limits so travel speed went from 78 to 85 mph.

Fuel mileage increased by 40 percent. Now going to work two days a week. Working from home the other three days

Scott Danforth

Staff member
My longest commute was an hour each way in good weather. I was only 25 and I did not like it one bit. I asked for a transfer and got it otherwise I would have looked for a new career. The biggest difference between a commute in Ontario and Florida is the winter. You pass Gators and Palm trees we pass 53' trailers in the ditches.

nearly every job I have had I had a long commute. When I worked for Omniquip-Textron (Lull and Skytrack), my commute was 60 miles in Wisconsin (about 62 minutes door to door normally). I often made it to work after driving for 3 hours in a snow storm only to find out as I am pulling into work that they are announcing a plant closing.

those are the reasons I moved to where you can not shovel anything but pollen.....right now, shoveling pollen.