Do you think you will change after this Corona thing has been defeated?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
yup - why I am now completely w/o debt

You are in minority, Heinz. Many spend money like it grows on trees and borrow what they don't have.

When the economy was good, until about 3 short weeks ago, how many went and bought bigger homes, new cars. Peletons and other stuff because they could borrow or put it on a card?

Times have changed quickly. Unemployment is forecast to be 30% or worse. State unemployment won't pay the bills. one or two $1,200 checks won't last long. When the bottom falls out, it takes a long time to recover.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Cash isn't worth much when there isn't anything important to buy on the shelves.It might not be a good idea to tell everyone out here in cyber space you have 2 grand cash on hand. I don't believe we will get that bad, or I should say I pray we don't get that bad. I have relatives in Italy, it is that bad there. They are rationing. .Living in the country is an advantage now. I've been assured by a friend that has beef and dairy cattle, sheep and pork we will all have plenty of food locally. I can trade him meat for fish, wood from our wood lot for meat and I can work the farm for food. He usually has a dozen farm workers here from out of the country for planting, not this year. It's comforting to know we won't go hungry at least. We have fresh water in our back yard as far as the eye can see.

The cash is not for making purchases from a grocery store, or retail stores. My cash is safe as well.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Change, is that I might be Dead. I just consider it a Way to get away from it all

harringtondav

Commander
When the economy was good, until about 3 short weeks ago, how many went and bought bigger homes, new cars. Peletons and other stuff because they could borrow or put it on a card?

Yep, I resemble that remark. I was getting all lathered up about buying a new, larger boat. Admiral fell into an inheritance, and she liked the idea too.

But a the idea of a nice new toy died faster than this thing is spreading. Little Larsen boat will work just fine. I'm guessing we will have more urgent needs for those funds.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tell you what when I had two kids in college I was darn near in that boat, not anymore my first goal was to have a healthy reserve. We decided we also need to have cash on hand so we have $2000 in a mason jar.

2 K money isn't a big amount specially if no one knows for sure how much longer this demonic pandemic will continue to last, at least it's good to have it at hand than not having it at all...

I think it will take long for the world to return to how we knew it before the pandemic...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Not sure about that but I am fortunate It will not change my work at all with the exception I am not on an airplane 3 out of 4 weeks a month, not couped up in hotel rooms and eating restaurant food. I will not be behind on my yard work and I am going to get a hell of a deal on my next pick up in the next couple weeks.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
- SARS (coronavirus) from 2003-2004 killed about 10% of the people infected. (not declared a pandemic)
- H1N1 from 2010, about 12,000-13,000 died in the US (declared a pandemic)
- MERS (coronavirus) from 2009 killed abut 34% of the people it infected. (not declared a pandemic)

- COVID-19 mortality rate in South Korea is about 0.6%
- COVID-19 mortality rate in Italy is about 5%, but they are not accurately tracking COVID-19 mortality in Italy and their population is very old, median age being 47 years old.

Where was the hysteria back in 2010 with H1N1 when 60 million were infected in the US and 12,000 died?... Could this be a similar threat? YES! But we lived through it, and without the hysterics being seen with Covid-19.

Still wow. Statistics are wonderful if used correctly, but sorry Sparky, as they say, ...."this is not a drill!"

Look up the word P-A-N-D-E-M-I-C. There is a reason that neither SARS nor MERS were called or classed as a pandemic....because they were NOT pandemics.

H1N1 is a strain of influenza, and the pandemic was in 2009, not 2010.....we have been dealing with those for many years and have vaccines. We have a comfort level from years of observation. We simply are in uncharted waters on COVID-19.
As for media attention, it was a HUGE story in 2009.
Much of the concern with the impact of COVID-19 is that we are still in flu season, and our health care systems are designed to cope with that blip; this new one puts the whole system into Code Black.

The MERS outbreak of 2009 which you cite would have occurred several years before that virus was actually identified. Since 2012 when it made the WHO list, there have been fewer than 2500 confirmed MERS cases worldwide. That is from 2012-2020....a bad year has maybe 400 cases worldwide . Of these, only 2....yes 2... cases were confirmed in the USA...in 8 years.
SARS had fewer than 8100 cases worldwide in the 2003-4 outbreak. Since then there have been a handful of confirmed cases only....a "whopping" 29 total from the USA.
Those numbers were the summation of the entire acknowledged duration of those outbreaks.

re: COVID-19, No responsible person uses the term "Mortality Rate" with such a small sample size of data!

We are mere months in to this current pandemic and there are already more cases in the USA alone than in both examples of coronaviruses that you referenced....worldwide. In fact, there are more than 3x more confirmed COVID-19 cases in the USA now than the worldwide sum total of SARS and MERS.

As far as SARS and MERS hysteria, in the US there was little if any due to the numbers, but worldwide there was lots....here in Canada SARS was a big deal.

I am confidant that the light will finally go on and people will start to get the message; and it is great that the Denier-in-Chief is finally listening to the experts, but it is going to be a rocky road. Maybe if social-distancing could be expanded to include Twitter.... :)

Stay well everybody; look after yourselves, your families, and your neighbours.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Still wow. Statistics are wonderful if used correctly, but sorry Sparky, as they say, ...."this is not a drill!"

Look up the word P-A-N-D-E-M-I-C. There is a reason that neither SARS nor MERS were called or classed as a pandemic....because they were NOT pandemics.

H1N1 is a strain of influenza, and the pandemic was in 2009, not 2010.....we have been dealing with those for many years and have vaccines. We have a comfort level from years of observation. We simply are in uncharted waters on COVID-19.
As for media attention, it was a HUGE story in 2009.
Much of the concern with the impact of COVID-19 is that we are still in flu season, and our health care systems are designed to cope with that blip; this new one puts the whole system into Code Black.

The MERS outbreak of 2009 which you cite would have occurred several years before that virus was actually identified. Since 2012 when it made the WHO list, there have been fewer than 2500 confirmed MERS cases worldwide. That is from 2012-2020....a bad year has maybe 400 cases worldwide . Of these, only 2....yes 2... cases were confirmed in the USA...in 8 years.
SARS had fewer than 8100 cases worldwide in the 2003-4 outbreak. Since then there have been a handful of confirmed cases only....a "whopping" 29 total from the USA.
Those numbers were the summation of the entire acknowledged duration of those outbreaks.

re: COVID-19, No responsible person uses the term "Mortality Rate" with such a small sample size of data!

We are mere months in to this current pandemic and there are already more cases in the USA alone than in both examples of coronaviruses that you referenced....worldwide. In fact, there are more than 3x more confirmed COVID-19 cases in the USA now than the worldwide sum total of SARS and MERS.

As far as SARS and MERS hysteria, in the US there was little if any due to the numbers, but worldwide there was lots....here in Canada SARS was a big deal.

I am confidant that the light will finally go on and people will start to get the message; and it is great that the Denier-in-Chief is finally listening to the experts, but it is going to be a rocky road. Maybe if social-distancing could be expanded to include Twitter.... :)

Stay well everybody; look after yourselves, your families, and your neighbours.
Absolutely agree. We need a chart that show the number of deniers as time goes on. Eventually, there won't be many.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Soooo, other than being politically critical , whats the plan ?
Shut the entire country down .. Total blockade of the boarder ..
Start manufacturing the medical stuff we need here ...
I dont think anyone is really denying there is a problem ..
Kinda new territory with this thing ...
Calling each other names ... That will fix it surely ...
And that's on all sides ...;)

GA_Boater

Some of you may have seen stories about face masks distributed from the national stockpile. On some the elastic bands to hold the masks were brittle and broke when put on so usable masks were unusable by the broken elastic.

Door #1 - Identify a problem and throw up your hands.

Door #2 - ID a problem and figure out how to fix it.

A door #2 solution at Tufts U - https://now.tufts.edu/articles/team-...nds-n-95-masks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
First of all, to answer the OP’s question….NO. My life and the way I live will remain the same after the pandemic. The sky is not falling and the world will not end. With faith, we will get thru all this.

Secondly, please don’t get the impression that I am minimizing the threat. Other than past wars, this is probably the worst thing that has happened to the United States since we were founded. We MUST listen to the medical experts and strictly follow all of the guidelines. Some have said that our liberties are being infringed on. I say it’s only a minor inconvenience. We need to have personal responsibility to protect those among us that are the most susceptible, to protect their liberties as well.

Thirdly, for those that don’t have the financial means to survive beyond a week, I have mixed emotions. Certainly I sympathize with them and pray for them, and hope the government comes to their rescue, but the phrase personal responsibility comes into play here again.

My Grandparents lived thru WWI in Europe. At meal time there was a small piece of meat for Great Grandpa. Great Grandma and the 9 or 11 children shared the bowl of potatoes and beans. My parents lived thru the great depression and WWII and had to move in with their parents because they couldn’t afford housing. In any event, they saved every dime they ever earned and lived a comfortable, yet frugal life.

That’s the way I was brought up as well. A full time job paid for my University education. I literally never heard of “Spring Break” – that was time for a second job to pay for car insurance. I didn’t marry until we saved enough money for a down payment on a house, and we didn’t start a family until scrimping and saving enough to pay off the mortgage.

My kids are both Millennials and they followed the same guidelines. Both are professionals in secure industries and both are doing fine.

The whole solution to surviving is not only financial responsibility, but it's the use of a 4-letter word...........WORK.

OK, I admit to spending more on boats than I should, but only after numerous promotions and entering a high paying management position. I never bought a boat on time.

A famous person once said: “We have nothing to fear but fear itself”. Look it up. Then go wash your hands, stay at home, follow the guidelines, put some money in the bank, get a part time job (if you can) to prepare for the future, and once the spread is reduced, go out and help someone that is less fortunate than you. But most of all, don’t worry. Worrying yourself sick may be worse than the virus.

GA_Boater

Just saw this on the 11 o'clock news;

A 75 year old guy at a suburban Atlanta Post Office pulled a hand gun on two women wearing medical masks and gloves as the two entered the P.O. and yelled at them to get back. He then ran out and drove away, but they got his license number. Police arrested him at his home. The guy said he was afraid of catching the deadly virus.

The moral of this story? Stay away from the USPS or don't wear PPE in public or watch out for the old guys with big handlebar mustaches?

Photo edited until proven guilty;

handlecar.png

Remember it isn't only invisible bugs that can kill you. Stay safe out there.

82rude

Rear Admiral
JimS123 the wrongly named Spanish flu of 1918/19 killed approx. 670,000 Americans.More than all your wars combined.It is still the mother of all pandemics.Well over 500 million were infected and up to 50 million killed.Some say because of poor death reporting it may be closer to 100 mill dead.It was a sub type of h1n1 and was unique in that it mainly killed young adults from 20 to 40 years old.Why did I say wrongly named Spanish flu?Most blame that on it first being reported in the Madrid newspaper ABC while allied papers were heavily censored at the time.Its actual origins are by most reports now to be traced back to a small farming community in Kansas!It then spread to Army training centers and then overseas.Once it got into the charnel house of the western front it went home at the end of war with citizens of many nations and spread like wildfire .Its interesting that when it finely died out in 1920 the most lavish, outrageous period in American history was ushered in .The roaring twenties!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is the popcorn emoji appropriate? :popcorn:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
People still live on the slopes of volcanoes don't they ??----Cheap fertile land and an empty stomach is a big motivator.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m looking forward to the roaring twenty twenties !!
Scott ,if you make popcorn , make enough for all of us ..
‘Just wash your hands first ... :joyous: