....stocking up for Corona virus

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m in suburban NY..Suffolk county....brace yourselves people are dying fast from this...4 field hospitals set up, 3 on Long Island, one in Manhattan, one in the Bronx, one in Westchester. NY is closing in on 80,000 cases state wide. 7,000 alone in Suffolk. This is no hysteria this is real.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
We have relatives on the NYPD and hospitals. They are beyond traumatized it is very very bad. I was here during 911 and smelled the stench of death in the air as it wafted over Long Island from lower Manhattan. This is 10x worse in every way....

MRS

Commander
Ya I just got a e-mail from work that somebody in one of the building has it so they are decontaminating the building this weekend. luck I have not been in there for the last four weeks. I do have to be at work so trying to be has careful as I can hope every one here stays safe.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When we use refrigerated semi trailers with shelves full of body bags to treat the departed as respectfully as possible, we are in effin trouble. Same thing occurred in Puerto Rico.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I use 3m respirators with p100 filters left over from doing glass work when I go food shopping. That’s how bad it is here. Anyone who thinks this is hysteria is dead wrong. Learn from what we have seen. NY state is about to top 90,000 cases, and 2300+ deaths.

tpenfield

Staff member
We have over 10,000 COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts. The counties were I live and work are 'hot beds' with about 50% of the overall cases in the state. I went into my work/office yesterday . . . drove instead of taking the train wore some PPE and used hand sanitizer about 20 times while I was there (7 hours) and wiped all the doors, elevator buttons, work surfaces in my path with Clorox wipes. Only the security guards, the mailroom manager, and a fire alarm contractor were there. I was the only staff parson in the building. I went in because I had an AV system contractor coming in to do some work on our conference room technology. He told me this was his last job and his company was furloughing him for the next 8 weeks :eek:

While at the office, I tried to go to the bank, but you have to make an appointment . . . can't just walk-in . . . doors are locked. So, I figured I'll go another time.

I have family in Florida, where things were not 'locked-down' as quickly as other states. Seems like the case volume is rising there. We usually assist the Admiral's parents, who are 'snowbirds' in coming back north before the weather gets too hot in FL. That journey has been postponed indefinitely. My FIL still goes out to stores and gets take-out on a daily basis . . . that is probably not the wisest thing to be doing though . . . 86 yo w/ underlying health issues.

I have a handyman lined up to do some work on the summer house. He told me that he had a customer who wanted a 6 ft high fence put around his house and wanted it done in a day :eek: Paranoia runs deep in some people . . . the guy probably felt he needed to protect his lifetime supply of toilet paper :facepalm:

Speaking of TP, I bought a 12-pack of TP about 2 weeks ago . . . still haven't opened it, and also have a 6 roll pack unopened, yet I see empty-nesters like ourselves buying the large 36-roll pack every chance they get. The Admiral went to the store yesterday . . . no toilet paper

Since Tom Brady is not on the Patriots payroll anymore, Robert Kraft was able to help out the Gov, who managed to buy over 1 million N95 masks from China. The Patriots Jet (767) was flown to China and back to bring the masks to Boston in rapid fashion. The local news broke from the national news programs to cover the landing and unloading of the plane.

300K of the masks were immediately loaded on the Patriots 18-wheeler and sent to NYC to help out with the situation there. Kind of funny seeing the Patriots truck a welcomed sight in NYC :D I believe the plane needed to make a second trip to China, because not all of the shipment would fit on the plane. The news story of the first shipment was that the plane was only allowed to be on the ground in China for 3 hours . . . they made it with 3 minutes to spare :)

An extended family's wedding (mid-May) has already been postponed and it looks like our family's wedding plans for July will probably be postponed as well.

Crazy times . . .

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Saw the Plane on 3 different channels yesterday and again this AM. Things are getting carzy and I'm worried about the paranoid folks, no telling what they will do.

Went over to my buddies farm yesterday just to yak like we use to do. Brought my cooler and we sat 15 feet apart on the deck and just talked for a couple hours. Was a small amount of normalcy if just for a little while

GA_Boater

Hey Chris - Was she furloughed and realized she was flushing a gold mine down the toilet?

The Patriots midnight mask run has a back story. MA bought 3 million masks overseas through BJ's and they were seized by Customs when they arrived in New York. MA Governor worked a back channel with the Chinese UN ambassador to get more masks and asked the Patriots to pickup and deliver as a "private humanitarian mission" delivery direct to Logan. MA gave masks to NYC and RI, keeping the bulk.

harringtondav

Commander

Stores in our are invoked a no-return policy on TP, sanitizers, etc shortly after the hoarding started. Stiff 'em good, I say.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I just hope she isn't returning them because they are defective. And how would she know they all are defective...oh let's not pounder that very long...

MRS

Commander
Went to our local little store two weeks ago bought two single rolls of toilet paper they had plenty.
Went in the next day for beer they said lady came in and bought all they had left. Wiped them out!:facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My wife has left the house this morning for the first time in over 2 weeks .. TP quest among other essentials .
just counted 10 rolls on hand ..LOL!
Im hoping for a successful mission ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No luck on the TP ......:cold:
Anywho , I know most are getting bored sitting at home waiting this out .. I think I have posted this before but this guys YouTube video’s are really good and entertaining .. He’s restoring a 100 year old sailboat the “ Tallyho” ..
This is his recent video but I recommend going back and watching all of them .. I really like the one where he goes to GA to pick up a shipment of live oak for the build ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXV0ywqj7zY

GA_Boater

I really like the one where he goes to GA to pick up a shipment of live oak for the build ..

I had nothing to with this! :D

Some of the Haggerty motor rebuilds are good and Jay Leno's garage, too.

MRS

Commander
Went to our little store this morning to get newspaper they had four packs of tp with 4 rolls of tp in them and 6 packs of paper towels on the shelf. I did not buy any don't need it. Going back to get lotto tickets wonder if it is still there? Will report back soon.;)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bored------Look up ------Off the beaten path with Chris and Connie.------Wonderful documentation of the changing landscape / small towns in western CANADA.-----No doubt the changes are seen in the AMERICAN mid west the same way.----

MRS

Commander
Went to our little store this morning to get newspaper they had four packs of tp with 4 rolls of tp in them and 6 packs of paper towels on the shelf. I did not buy any don't need it. Going back to get lotto tickets wonder if it is still there? Will report back soon.;)

Ok got lotto tickets paper towels safe on shelf tp gone said one lady saw it and bought it all total of 16 rolls she must be full of something. Maybe expecting a major eruption of sorts.:faint2:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I've only been to put little store, first time out in a week but during the initial panic he had more on his shelf than the big stores. he had everything I needed except flour tortillas so I'll just make them. Plus I figure less people. He did start wearing a mask yesterday. Went there in the am for groceries but forgot the Wife s beer so bad to go back.

GA_Boater

This is some good out of me being in lockdown and only taking essential drives, one time or less per week for necessities and only 1/2 mile, 1 mile round trip.

My gas mileage is 3 weeks per gallon and at the end of this week it will be 4 miles per gallon and the week after, 5 weeks to a gallon. By week 6, the E10 in the tank will be mush. Might have to add an extra 1/4 mile one time to get some Stabil.