....stocking up for Corona virus

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just read a bit on the Venus Project ...
I’m not ready to buy into that quite yet ..
I can see everyone losing all of there individuality and
freedoms .. Minions basically .... population control and you know what that means .. idk

I agree. I can see a lot of flaws, but the current model is unworkable. Has been for a long time, it's just taking this current crisis to (hopefully) bury it.

For me, the biggest issue (with the current model) is the one of constant 'growth'. That's so totally unsustainable, yet the people who have the power to affect change are the ones who are the most resistant to that change.

Hopefully (and I'm really putting the rose-coloured glasses on here) at the other end of this, the world will be a fairer and more equatable place, where we ALL work together for the betterment of the species. And stop this incessant squabbling over whose 'god' is better :facepalm:

Where a person's status within society isn't how much money they have, but how much value they contribute to the species. (yes, I'm looking at you over-paid actors, sports people, politicians, lawyers, advertising executives, 'influencers'! Since when is 'influencer' an actual job?)

Chris........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hopefully (and I'm really putting the rose-coloured glasses on here) at the other end of this, the world will be a fairer and more equatable place, where we ALL work together for the betterment of the species. And stop this incessant squabbling over whose 'god' is better :facepalm:.

I doubt there will be that drastic of a paradigm shift.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well, we are in a true crisis. They closed over 300 waffle house locations.

we're screwed.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
That's hard. My company is a similar type. We've had to lay most of our staff off, and we're all working part time to try to keep the place alive until this is over. We can stay alive like this for a few months, but not too much longer.

Yeah, a week ago my daughter told me that her company had laid off all the hourly employees and that the salaried group would have to take a 30% pay cut and that the company could last 5 months that way. They'd lost $500k in the prior couple of weeks. Yesterday that figure was up to $1 million. They just couldn't hold on.

Fortunately, my daughter is strong, versatile and capable. She's working on some plans of her own. I offered to let her come down here and stay while she regrouped. She rapidly declined the offer! :lol:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Well, we are in a true crisis. They closed over 300 waffle house locations.

we're screwed.

Now people wont need the 2 gross packs of TP they horded...... they can go back to a roll a week......:lol::laugh::lol:....:facepalm:

southkogs

Staff member
Yeah, a week ago my daughter told me that her company had laid off all the hourly employees and that the salaried group would have to take a 30% pay cut and that the company could last 5 months that way. They'd lost $500k in the prior couple of weeks. Yesterday that figure was up to $1 million. They just couldn't hold on.

Fortunately, my daughter is strong, versatile and capable. She's working on some plans of her own. I offered to let her come down here and stay while she regrouped. She rapidly declined the offer! :lol:

The trade show side of things has lost an incredible amount of money - some suggest close to $16B already. We'll lose some companies over this. I've taken a temporary pay cut (50%), but I also know our company will make it through (if we can get moving again by August). For me it's worth sticking it out.

Best wishes to her in her search.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have to knock on wood...... our company's contract manufacturing side of the business makes parts for the packaging industry, knife sharpening industry (for grocery store butchers and the poultry processing), and we make equipment for the cremation industry. our service side of the business keeps yachts and boats running with boarding and lifting equipment, and we have a few navy projects.

we are considered an essential industry.

we may have a contract to build some additional medical equipment.

'kogs, keep in touch, we may need an industrial stylist on contract basis.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Funny when Waste Management, Republic, Waste Connections tell you that you are essential industry. Can I call my suppliers and tell them that they are essential too?

alldodge

Staff member
Admiral retired from convention and visitors bureau and talk about the amount of bed tax money that they would spend to get a group in. The perks of the job were also great, having to go see main events for free with expenses. I was her arm candy when doing those things, was even able to take trips with to Hawaii and Vancouver

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Luckily we are still working .. We have a crew of around 30 on night shift hospital renovations and around 15 dayshift at the Hospital new construction . We all have to sign forms and record our temps before each shift . The cutoff temp is 100.4..
‘My wife as been working from home but my daughter has still been going in to work ..There are parts of her work she can’t do from home ..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I can see trash removal as an essential business. Think about it for a second. With so much of the US under stay at home restrictions, they can't take empty TP rolls and wrappings and extra family trash from staying home to the dump, not to mention all the disposable hospital masks, gowns and so on requiring specialized disposal. Is a rat epidemic better than COVID19?

Wonder what the FEMA Waffle House Index is right now? Yes, that's a real thing used by FEMA to measure the severity of a disaster like hurricanes, flooding and the like because it takes a lot to shut a WH

Green: Waffle House is serving a full menu and electricity is on.

Yellow: Waffle House is serving a limited menu, may be low on food supplies, and is likely using an electrical generator.

Red: Waffle House is closed. (Oh s**t, time to panic.)​

Scott - Sadly, I can see cremation equipment as essential.

I don't plan on watching Soylent Green and not trying Soylent drinks or low-cal bars. Yes, there is a company named Soylent.

southkogs

Staff member
Admiral retired from convention and visitors bureau and talk about the amount of bed tax money that they would spend to get a group in. The perks of the job were also great, having to go see main events for free with expenses. I was her arm candy when doing those things, was even able to take trips with to Hawaii and Vancouver

It's honestly a pretty fun business to be in. I've had a lot of unique and exciting experiences. Plus my side of the work is really the enjoyable part ... so people are generally in a good mood when I'm working with 'em.

harringtondav

Commander
I do not know a single person who invests who does not want to maximize return.

That would be me, especially with CDs and money market accounts returning below inflation. But I'd like to see the speculative fluff removed from the market valuations. Basic value of any company is total asset value (Buildings/land, equipment, inventory, and available cash) plus future cash flows (income, investments, and profits from sales).

Eliminating the wild a*s speculation would stabilize stock values and the overall market. But the Vegas gamblers will still play their game.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just got handed an emergency weekend project ..
Isolating 2 hospital wings with corridor doors to make anti rooms for entry into those wings ...
Both wings have active cor virus patients now ..
I'll have to warn my guys to not lick any door handles ....

harringtondav

Commander
Just got handed an emergency weekend project ..
Isolating 2 hospital wings with corridor doors to make anti rooms for entry into those wings ...
Both wings have active cor virus patients now ..
I'll have to warn my guys to not lick any door handles ....

Dang. Tough duty spheleps. Are you located in a hot spot?