....stocking up for Corona virus

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The stated rate is there are at least ten times the actual to known infections and with such a delay in testing that number could as high as fifty times. You will see a dramatic rise in reported cases as the dramatic rise in testing begins.

of course you won't hear much about that on the news as it doesn't scare people enough....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
of course you won't hear much about that on the news as it doesn't scare people enough....

I hear it every day - Cases will increase as more testing is done from all the news shows and online reporting. What scares me is not knowing if the guy at store or a neighbor is a carrier because we still don't have enough testing.

I can't be tested even though I'm in the most susceptible group. One thing testing is showing is that anyone can get it at any age, so maybe I'm not so special anymore. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m just wondering how accurate the testing is .. Are we sure the folks testing positive are actually carrying the virus?
Or vise versa ?
Had a great time on the rented toon yesterday .. Cruised the Dora Canal .. Passed an Aqua Car and a few classic woodies ..
It wouldn’t take much of a wake to swamp one of those cars ! :eek:
Gunna hit a few golf balls today I think .. The campground has a nice little 9 hole coarse .. Free for the campers if you have your own clubs ..

harringtondav

Commander
I thought of a way to beat the TP scramble. Our grocery chain offers online ordering and walk in pick up. I tried ordering just one 12 pack of TP to be responsible. Oops, $30 minimum required. Fine. I upped my order to three 12 packs. I really didn't want to hoard, but thems the rules. Gotta wait until next Wed for the pick up. No prob. We have a small reserve at home.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Illinois just announced shelter-in-place rules starting Saturday... looks like I'll be working from home for a while...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A few weeks ago I was accused of being Chicken Little running around yelling " The sky is falling." by friends and in other discussion forums. Now I look like a sooth sawyer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I say that toys will be the first to go to the end of the driveway.-----Should be lots of good deals on boats mid summer.-----Gas may well be cheap then , but if you have not got a job it does not matter.----Food and water come first.------I heard that gas was down to 61 cents / liter in southern Ontario in a few areas.

alldodge

Staff member
Went up to Louisville today to sell my son Mom's house. Called his bank ahead of time and then called when we were it parking lot. My sig was already notarized, just needed his. They open the door and let him in and didn't want to touch the deed. Had him sign and then place deed in a bin and they carried in. He stays in between doors

One comes back out and he gets the doc's and goes back out

Went to total wine and picked up 8 boxes of wine, got 5 comments about stocking up, and I said yes. They don't know it cost more where I live and we normally stock up every time we go to a place which is cheaper, our place is $5 more each.

They have tape on the floor at check out lanes every 6 feet.

GA_Boater

Speaking of booze - I can get 170 proof cheap these days. What's a good mixer for E-85?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Had a great time on the rented toon yesterday .. Cruised the Dora Canal .. Passed an Aqua Car.....
Glad you were still able to enjoy the water since the show was canceled....

What color was the AquaCar? Light blue, sorta teal'ish color?

Been on the canal before and saw an AquaCar, not too many of those around, and it was in early March too, possibly @ the Dora Show, I cant remember. It was @ the spring trip I stopped by your place..... propably the same 1....

See any gators @ the canal? We saw a 3ftr that looked like a fake lawn ornament, as we motored out..... gone when we motored back :eek:

aspeck

Staff member
Illinois just announced shelter-in-place rules starting Saturday... looks like I'll be working from home for a while...
PA’s governor has been 3 - 4 days behind Illinois’ so I expect by next week we will be sheltered in place also.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like NEW YORK CITY is getting squeezed.-------Not enuff material to supply hospitals , keep doctors and staff safe.--------Find it on YOU TUBE----an interesting documentary on how America lost it's manufacturing capacity.-----Look for ----Death by China ------Nothing to do with the start of this virus.-----Came out in 2016 I believe.------Has everything to do with how things changed over 30 years.------You can not change it back overnight !!

fishrdan

Admiral
an interesting documentary on how America lost it's manufacturing capacity.-----Look for ----Death by China -----

Sad to say, but this may be the wake-up call to bring manufacturing back to the US and stop relying on other countries to manufacture everything we consume.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
John the Aqua Car was a sorta medium blue .
Didnt see any gators in the canal but saw about 3 baby ones at the campground and one 3 ft one sunning himself along the bank at Wooten Park ...:eek:
Heading back to town today ..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sad to say, but this may be the wake-up call to bring manufacturing back to the US and stop relying on other countries to manufacture everything we consume.

Agree. But then the price of goods will go up because we pay our workers higher wages. Then you'll hear the consumer squak......

GA_Boater

^^^^^ I like that idea. Maybe uninstall the 21st century and start fresh. We can live Y2K all over again! :D

southkogs

Staff member
Agree. But then the price of goods will go up because we pay our workers higher wages. Then you'll hear the consumer squak......
I think that may be on the way to happening organically (bringing manufacturing back to the NA continent). That may forge a new relationship with Mexico, which could be a good thing. Consumers, standards of living and pay scale will all have to adjust ... might be squaky for a while, but I think it could even out in time (and not to anything particularly bad).

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Watching the 82 mens bball championship. Ewing, Worthy...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
All 8pts for NC is from Ewing goaltending.... Jordan also playing.... Sleepy Floyd.. CBS