....stocking up for Corona virus

harringtondav

Commander
simple math........ if someone has a gross package of TP for a 14 day quarantine ordeal and there are only 2 people in the house

assuming typical 500 sheet 2-ply rolls
assuming 20 sheets per event on the crapper
that is 25 events per roll
144 rolls per 14 days is 10 rolls (rounding down).

that is 250 crapper events per day. for two people that is 125 events per day per person

at that point, its not COVID 19. you either are preparing to get a colon scope and just drank 2 gallons of supper flush.... or you have a medical issue that you should seek immediate help for.

however beer....... assuming a modest 6 bottles a day, 2 people would need 7 cases of beer for a 14 day quarantine...

common sense is no longer prevailing.

Remember cloth diapers? We have more cut up T shirt rags than you can shake a stick at. Diaper pail with detergent and bleach. That was the norm before Pampers. Admiral won't care, as long as I do the laundry.

When the going gets tough, the tough get creative. ...now, I need to figure out how to brew beer with from clean rags....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just read US and Canada are stopping all non essential travel between the 2 countries. Trade will continue. Ok, what about our souther border? Haven't heard a word about that in a long time. Maybe the illeagals will be afraid to come over. Have we done anything to stop that porous border?

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander
Our IA Gov made a hand-wringing speech imploring the legislature to give graduating HS seniors a pass due to short classroom hrs.

Huh?. I had HS pals that put themselves into this predicament. The solution: Summer school, no pass. This makes my head want to explode. We're supposed to be preparing kids for life's harsh realities. Stop the coddling.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I agree in my day when you were wrong in school , you were told so and marks were deducted.-------We have all seen the young folks at the cash registers who can not figure out how to give change.----Saw one call her supervisor once to help out.-----Myself and a few others in line chuckled / shook our heads about it.----Sad thing is many folks today have a diploma or degree.----They know a lot of things but not the basics.---------Also the saying ----" you think teachers are tough, wait till you have a boss "----Would apply here.-------I might even have to tutor the grandson over skype.-----He ( nearly 10 ) has also developed a liking for chess I am told.-----I have a carved made in RUSSIA chess set but do not know how to play.------It could be interesting over skype.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like a win-win, Racer. You teach him, don't forget how to count change which bugs me too, and he can teach you chess. Plus you get to visit while maintaining social distance.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, in the eastern panhandle where I work. I've probably got 3days of work left then the plant I'm normally at will go on lock down and I'll be off for a while......

Swing by Gulf Shores SP. We'll be here awhile yet. And, we have a square to spare....:lol:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Maybe pay $15 an hour and hire locals :rolleyes:

I agree. But then the cost of goods will go up, then you'll hear an uproar....

Just like alot of our stuff is made in China and people complain, but the same people will complain when the cost of products go up because it's made in the good ol USA.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The local power plant has emergency procedures in place on PAPER.------I often said when working there that plans on paper look good and satisfy all the higher ups.--------This VIRUS thing is far beyond what any officials or Hollywood could dream up.------Things will continue to change by the hour.----There will be a lot of soul searching and gnashing of teeth in the next few months.-----I might have to switch from gardening at 50 cents / hr to fixing a few motors.

alldodge

Staff member
I agree. But then the cost of goods will go up, then you'll hear an uproar....

Just like alot of our stuff is made in China and people complain, but the same people will complain when the cost of products go up because it's made in the good ol USA.

That was my point, your post was about the porous border and racerone was how will they get here to plant crops

Kind of like opposite points, can't close the border and get that much cheap labor.

harringtondav

Commander
No TP? No problem
Hillbilly bidet. ....If a neighbor complains just point to your dog as it's doing the lawn grass wipe. Bidet is better.

Hillbilly bidet.JPG

bassman284

Commander
Remember cloth diapers? We have more cut up T shirt rags than you can shake a stick at. Diaper pail with detergent and bleach. That was the norm before Pampers. Admiral won't care, as long as I do the laundry.

When the going gets tough, the tough get creative. ...now, I need to figure out how to brew beer with from clean rags....

Hilarious! Last week sometime I was talking with folks and they were wondering what do you do when the toilet paper runs out. I told 'em that fortunately I was a country boy and I could use my imagination. They weren't sue how to take that.

I've got a bunch of old T shirts myself that never made it to Goodwill but I never thought about the diaper pail.That could work.

bassman284

Commander
Our IA Gov made a hand-wringing speech imploring the legislature to give graduating HS seniors a pass due to short classroom hrs.

Huh?. I had HS pals that put themselves into this predicament. The solution: Summer school, no pass. This makes my head want to explode. We're supposed to be preparing kids for life's harsh realities. Stop the coddling.

Hey hd! I forgot you were an Iowa boy like me. I live in Johnson County where all the sickies are. We're up to 18 cases and at least 15, if not 16, are connected to the Hills Bank Nile cruise. I think 3 cases in other counties were on the same cruise. I always knew cruises were a bad idea.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
This is how bad info gets spread. If you are going to post "facts" make sure you get them accurately posted.

Tim Hortons is NOT closed. I walked in and grabbed a coffee next door 10 minutes ago.
What I could not do was sit at a table and drink it.
Restaurants are open for take-out service and drive-through.....if they want to be. :)

self moderated.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Sounds like a win-win, Racer. You teach him, don't forget how to count change which bugs me too, and he can teach you chess. Plus you get to visit while maintaining social distance.

Count change???? I heard a kid ask another what time was it? He said his phone was in the car. The other pointed at the clock and his buddy said he doesn't know how to read an old fashioned clock!!!! Neither of them could. Both about 18. Telling time should be a compulsory subject before leaving grade12. And some nutty Governor want's to give them a free pass. I had a college grad working for me that couldn't read the business end of a tape measure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well ----The grandson gave me a lesson in chess.-----Quite humbling when a 9 1/2 year old says-----" I think I am going to take your king soon , after like 6 moves "-------He was playing on a $10 set while I had the hand carved RUSSIAN set.-----He does not know it but he is getting that good set for his 10th birthday.-----Has to be hard on these kids to be out of school for who knows how long.----He is in a small town and I hope the school board can mail out lessons to them.

harringtondav

Commander
Hey hd! I forgot you were an Iowa boy like me. I live in Johnson County where all the sickies are. We're up to 18 cases and at least 15, if not 16, are connected to the Hills Bank Nile cruise. I think 3 cases in other counties were on the same cruise. I always knew cruises were a bad idea.

I'm up in Black Hawk Co, CF to be specific. First case turned up today. 80 something old. Sad. The crud is creeping.

Admiral is in Scottsdale AZ with her sis's. She's going to pass on her return flight and drive back to IA with a sis. Exposure is an X by Y thing: Time exposed x people. She is passing on 120 people for 4 hrs in a tube vs. Three days in a car with a sis. I suggested they take sheets and pillow cases from the condo and use them at the motels. ...yea, uber paranoid.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We've been hearing to avoid shaking hands to avoid skin to skin contact by doing elbow bumps. Sounds safe enough, right?

Then I saw this today. It's recommended to cough or sneeze into your elbow. So what if your elbow bumping mate just sneezed/coughed into their elbow or you did. There is a good chance of passing the virus because it can be active for up to 24 hours on cardboard and is unknown on cloth, maybe about the same duration.

In my only shopping trip last week, I happened to run into my doctor. Naturally we talked from a distance about this pandemic after doing a long distance elbow bump. I jokingly said we could do a foot tap and she said she'll be seeing more broken bones from geezers like me losing my balance.

I guess it's best to stand back and wave, forget about any actual friendly contact. Just wave and say hi. Be careful out there.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My wife received a text yesterday saying that she will be working 1/2 time next week instead of being off. But employees will be paid for the full 40 hours. Fair enough.

HOWEVER! Early this morning she received a phone call from her co-worker. Let's call her Jane. My wife and Jane work side by side in the same room.

It turns out that Jane's husband, let's call him John, an auto mechanic, commutes to work to another small town 35 miles away in an adjoining county.

Late last night John received a call from his employer stating that a worker at his car repair shop is ill and has tested positive for Covid-19. Another employee is also ill and is awaiting test results. The sick workers continued to go to work in spite of being sick.

BUT! The auto shop owner has decided to STAY OPEN in spite of the Covid-19 positive results inside the business. So John has gone to work again this morning! And the two exposed/confirmed people are Tow Truck drivers!

THIS IS HOW IT SPREADS! :facepalm: :mad-new:

Stay safe out there folks. :grumpy: