....stocking up for Corona virus

tpenfield

Staff member
Late to the party . . .

I've been too 'heads down' on preparations for my company's 'work-from-home' transition, since I head up the I.T. group there. We were in good shape technology-wise, since everything is 'in the cloud', mostly learning curve issues for the folks who aren't used to working remotely.

What's with the toilet paper? Usually it is the bread and the milk :noidea:

In MA the Gov. has closed schools, and restaurants can do take-out only. Gatherings/events of 25 or more are prohibited, which must mean a bunch of weddings and social functions just got cancelled. Conferences and trade shows are cancelled. . . This thing has gone 'mushroom cloud' over the past few days.

The Admiral and I have cancelled our trip to West Palm Beach (which was going to be this coming weekend to visit her parents, who are in their 80's). They have not taken any precautions as far as we can tell . . . still going to restaurants, stores, etc. . . . and they are in the high-risk group :facepalm: My MIL could merely look at a sick person can catch what they have . . . she catches everything.

The Admiral has stocked up on beer & wine, since the TP is all sold out. :D

82rude

Rear Admiral
So far worldwide 5500 deaths from the virus with the vast majority being elderly or immune compromised.World wide political panic ! Little perspective .1918/1919 SPANISH FLU ,Each and every day for a year approx. 140,000 people died .The Spanish flu was unique in that it took the young and healthy just as much as anybody else.Approx 50 million died and today many believe that number is low and may have been 100 million!Many people today will get the virus and not even realize they actually had it! Today we have the web and 24/7 news pouring out gloom and doom to a population that is frankly a bunch of wimps.Personally I could careless about this stupid virus as I have not been sick for 25 to 30 years.Not even a sniffle .I do worry for the elderly who have to not only maybe worry about the seasonal flu but now this one.

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is Bing's interactive map . . . .

https://www.bing.com/covid

If the numbers are correct, the death rate is about 8% (considering recovered + death) and it is about 4% of all known cases (active + recovered + death) :eek:

Mortality numbers seem higher than what was originally thought? :noidea:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So far worldwide 5500 deaths from the virus with the vast majority being elderly or immune compromised.World wide political panic ! Little perspective .1918/1919 SPANISH FLU ,Each and every day for a year approx. 140,000 people died .The Spanish flu was unique in that it took the young and healthy just as much as anybody else.Approx 50 million died and today many believe that number is low and may have been 100 million!Many people today will get the virus and not even realize they actually had it! Today we have the web and 24/7 news pouring out gloom and doom to a population that is frankly a bunch of wimps.Personally I could careless about this stupid virus as I have not been sick for 25 to 30 years.Not even a sniffle .I do worry for the elderly who have to not only maybe worry about the seasonal flu but now this one.

Just because you haven't been sick in 25-30 years, doesn't mean you can't carry the virus and infect another person, like an elderly relative. Read about Typhoid Mary, one person infected about 8000 with the disease. The same thing is happening with this outbreak.

Also you can't compare the Spanish flu death toll with this. After 100 years medicine and detection has improved. Who knows how many would be knocking on the Pearly Gates if this was 1918?

Consider me a wimp if you want, but I avoid people as much as I can. Yes, I'm old with health issues and I want to be around a little longer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This virus is not a joke.-----I believe for North America the worst is yet to come.----I am glad I have 400 acres of empty field across the road.-----And not many neighbors.----Ontario has ordered restaurants and bars to be CLOSED.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think this Corona Chinese Virus is highly contagious. Seems my computer is acting slow and finicky today. I think my computer caught it...:eek:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes our Primier of Ontario today declared a "State of emergency" for the province. 1st time in my life. Many 1st's.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
News has the traffic in Tampa as "lighter than Christmas day"...... many business are shut down.

i'm down here too (Riverview) and the dude this morning spent most of all his reports on a surface street fender bender that was not causing and delays.

so only thing i did, early - like two weeks ago - was have amazon ship me a box of TP and PT because my first winter in the south I discovered the milk and bread thing is real and when i went to the store just needing enough for the weekend when we had the boys, they were out. As soon as I saw the reports of hoarding TP, i figured i'll get one extra.

Most everything we have in our house is a 2-4 week supply, double that if a true crisis and we need to conserve.

as far as the death rate, it is way over stated now simply because we do not have the accurate numerator for the math. Just don't. Like in economics, and in business in general you have leading (and trailing) indicators to gauge the current facts before empirical data can be gathered and analyse - like when the XX report form last quarter/month/year have been adjusted because all the data was in. So - since we have almost zero testing since this happened (and of course China, Russian, Iran etc are all full of sh.t on their reported cases) we have to use our brains. Which seems lacking at the moment, but i wont go there.

I've seen guesses at up to 50 times the number of known infections so lets go ultra conservative and say our infection rate is only 10 times the verified cases. Now, take that as your top line number and do the maths on the death rate (which is way more accurate than infection rate) and it is really not a huge deal. Yes, people will die. The bad part is this is new, and if not prepared (and we are not) the systems we rely on for this will get overloaded and as in Italy per the reports they have to make hard choices when the system becomes overwhelmed.

Since I'm talking testing, how many of us routinely get sick in the winter(ish) and go to the walk in for a flu test? Millions. That is why we KNOW the death rate of the flue. People get tested. This is not being tested.

final thought - look at the WHO stats for South Korea who arguably was the most prepared and quickest to react to this. There death rate (last I looked) was less than 0.7% and i'm sure that will go down.

final final thought. I've been buying stock on the way down with my fun money

Flying home tomorrow. Security should be easy, unless I decide to wear my new kilt.

so, until then - heading back out to the Bay

Ixp1oJv.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Ontario province is huge. That would take up a bunch of states down here... The Admiral has been working from home for 10yrs, I've been doing it for 20 and work outside with little to no human interaction. Being a peon is starting to pay off...

alldodge

Staff member
Paraphrasing ---
no accurate death total.... almost no one is tested ........... buy stock.... South Korea had it right and death total was .7% (51.47 Mil = 360K) ...

USA doesn't have it correct or a plan (327 Mil x .7% = 2.6 Mil) could be much higher

Smoking some good stuff there

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
you assume everyone gets it. Not everyone gets the flu, or a cold, or herpes, or....

Exactly, and my guess is neither did South Korea and they were ready, we're not

Sure hope your right for all of us

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pennsylvania is closing liquor stores........ (our data analyst lives in PA)

Manatee county will be doing a hard-lock-down this week....... i may have to work from home. have Tammy hitting the liquor stores now.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pennsylvania is closing liquor stores........ (our data analyst lives in PA)

I hope they don't reopen and private business gets a chance to sell hard liquor. PA has the most archaic liquor laws in the country.

You can only buy 2 six packs or 3 quarts of beer for take out at a bar. Many a time I made multiple trips because at the time supermarkets didn't sell beer. That's changed, but if you want a bottle of Jim Beam or other liquor, you have to go to a State Store.

PA is closing rest areas....

Must be out of TP. Rest area bushes will be well watered.

Also you can't pay tolls on the Turnpike. Either have an EZ-Pass or they will send a bill using your plate number. I foresee a lot of stolen plates.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Im sure its been state already but how many people will get the virus and never report it ?That can affect the numbers big time.If I was to get the flu id report it here but id never go to the hospital or anyother health place unless I was deathly ill.I really wish I had of invested in t.p. futures,lol.Even though the t.p. mfg,s have stated time and time again that they have lots of capacity the nuts in Ontario are hoarding it like the end of the world is neigh.WIMUSKY you right Ontario can swallow up Texas plus 13 other states easily.There use to be a plaque coming off the Tobermory ferry that had the list.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
simple math........ if someone has a gross package of TP for a 14 day quarantine ordeal and there are only 2 people in the house

assuming typical 500 sheet 2-ply rolls
assuming 20 sheets per event on the crapper
that is 25 events per roll
144 rolls per 14 days is 10 rolls (rounding down).

that is 250 crapper events per day. for two people that is 125 events per day per person

at that point, its not COVID 19. you either are preparing to get a colon scope and just drank 2 gallons of supper flush.... or you have a medical issue that you should seek immediate help for.

however beer....... assuming a modest 6 bottles a day, 2 people would need 7 cases of beer for a 14 day quarantine...

common sense is no longer prevailing.