....stocking up for Corona virus

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It started in Hong Kong , made the news on Feb 17th.

Two masked thieves in Hong Kong were arrested Monday after holding a delivery man at knifepoint and stealing hundreds of rolls of toilet paper, as panic over a lack of supplies grows in the world financial hub currently fending off the widespread outbreak of the coronavirus on the Chinese mainland.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/hong-k...virus-outbreak

3 guys and a knife cause worldwide shortage !!!

On a sadder note, an alcoholic from work bought 2 cases of Jim Beam last wednesday, said he
hopes it lasts him through April.

alldodge

Staff member
fox and .... 3 guys and a knife cause worldwide shortage !!!

While not a fox fan that isn't what the report states. We have enough slant on things without adding more .. don't we

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
These 3 crooks didn't start the hoarding. How many knew some TP was made in China?

Blame Twitter, Facebook and other social media for the spread. Rumors and disinformation are the root of many panics. We don't use our noggins any more.

harringtondav

Commander
Coming from China, are people stocking up on toothpaste? I would take my chances with TP

This whole thing could result in several big adjustments. ...like people planning ahead/not taking things for granted. ...like economies/businesses rethinking sourcing...putting their eggs in several baskets, including their own baskets. ...like the world pulling it's head out of the sand and realizing this is not a one-off fluke.

...hopefully these readjustments don't require a major herd culling as a wake up call.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... We don't use our noggins any more.

This.^^^

And what not many people are listening to is that the cases in Wuhan province are on the DECLINE! And news doesn't seem to be report that either. The last thing the media need is common sense being applied, that doesn't 'sell newspapers'...

The decline in new cases is EXACTLY what happens with a virus outbreak. Those who get it and recover have immunity (that's how the human immune systems works!) and so can't be re-infected. In that region, the virus is burning itself out! And that's what's going to happen all over the world. I just hope that the scaremongers and panic-artists get big forehead tattoos, "I'm an idiot who'll believe everything I'm told"....

Chris......
(Just have to pop down to the shops to buy more toilet paper. ;))

MRS

Commander
I went to the driving range today and pooped there used there tp life is good.
Wife is mad at me cause we only have 24 rolls of tp. ;)

GA_Boater

Didn't they get mad you for pooping in a tee box? :laugh:

alldodge

Staff member
More BS about blaming the news media. They have stated that Wuhan is on the decline and I've heard it several times on different stations. There all are wearing mask, they are keeping there distance and things are getting better. They even have whats being called the Wuhan shake, where they touch shoes

There is a whole lot of media BS going on over at OSO, even some off the deep end thinking that all the folks that have died is made up

harringtondav

Commander
Looks like US students/teachers will have to go to school through the summer. ........just like the much of the world already does. ...boo hoo.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
News has the traffic in Tampa as "lighter than Christmas day"...... many business are shut down.

Tammy substitute teaches and they have extended spring break a few weeks. some colleges have no classes anymore thru the rest of the year.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just got news ... ACBS boat show postponed down in Tavares Fl ... :grumpy:
Oh well probably for the best ... I think we are stil gunna camp down there though..

Old Ironmaker

Captain
For my American freinds here a few facts I stand behind, today at least this thing is very fluid. Our Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had a presser this afternoon and announced some travel restrcitions. As far as U.S. citizens are concerned there are none at this time. But if flying in and there are any signs of illness be prepared to be isolated for 14 days. The flight crew is to notify ground controll of any passengers showing signs of ill health and will be met by medical personal on the ground. I have no idea how they will handle this at a border crossing. Border crossing were many hours long in Niagara this past weekend with all the Canadians that were south for the March break heading home all at once. Stay home Dam Yankee!!

As far as toilet paper crisis and food supplies I told my wife we are going to deal with it like when I was young and we took our annual fishing trip into far northern Ontario. Hundreds of miles from anything like a hospital. We were dropped off by train at our designated spot and had to haul in all of our supplies including fuel for a 2 week trip over 6 miles into the bush, and I mean overgrown machete chopping bush. Toilet paper takes up room and if you want to haul in 10 rolls, go for it buddy. That's what wash cloths were for, we had soap and a rivers and lakes of fresh water, no TP required. We had all the bush craft tricks including bringing booze in plastic bottles, no beer. If we didn't catch fish we were going to get skinny unless we could shoot a few rabbits and squirrels. More than a few times we had to shovel snow out of the canoes and tinny in June. I loved it and miss it.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As far as the news media, they had one dr talking doom and gloom. Why on earth did they put him on tv? Just added to the panic......

It's hitting my daughters work. Many layoffs and her hrs were cut to 3 days a week. I'm sure we'll see a lot more of the same situation...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
It's hitting my daughter's work as well. Her company laid off all hourly employees and cut salaried employee pay by 20%. They can hold out for 5 months, then the salaried employees will start being laid off too.

My wife isn't sure what's going to happen with her. She's a teacher on Spring Break now but next week is uncertain.

alldodge

Staff member
My Grandson is wondering if his job might close up for a while. He just spent 3 weeks at home after his daughter was born and just went back to work. He saved up so he could take the time off and now this

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Where are the banks in all this? People losing jobs, having hours cut, companies VOLUNTARILY closing doors. But the banks are still demanding their monthly payments. Governments, round the world, need to legislate if necessary that the banks either suspend, or at least reduce by half, monthly mortgage payments and loan repayments.

Chris.......

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think the country of its origin should help out financially ..

GA_Boater

Chris - Banks have a heart. :mad:

How is West Virginia avoiding corona cases? The only state with no cases.

Two TP reports;
  1. A restaurant in Virginia is giving patrons over 60 a roll of TP with their order.
  2. Police in Oregon had tell people to stop calling 911 over TP shortage.