....stocking up for Corona virus

alldodge

Staff member
Still gets me with the TP, 90% of all TP for North America is made in NA, only the mega rolls are made in China and India. Either way, we have plenty because of our Vac rental and only have one group booked for July 4

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, all the above... But gas is getting cheaper...:facepalm:

harringtondav

Commander
Every cloud has a silver lining. I doubt Corona virus will result in a major herd thinning like I mentioned earlier.
One good result could be that all of these first world problem (FWP) whiners may get a wake up call. They snivlle at the smallest inconvenience.

My folks were born 1911/1916. They lived thru the great depression and WWII. There wasn't any whining allowed in their house. Just be thankful for food and a roof over our heads. And if we were caught wasting anything, expect a head slap.

COVID-19 could be the first real problem these instant gratification, me-mes have had to deal with. Hopefully it will make them appreciate having the basics.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You don't really believe that do you.
Not really. But it does show how germ warfare could
cripple countries. Corona is just a very mild version. If a country(s) wanted to get serious, most of the world could come to a standstill....... It's been talked about for decades.

fishrdan

Admiral
I didn't think much of Wahun virus hysteria until I went to to grocery store with my wife yesterday, needed to pick up a couple of things for the next few days... ALL potatoes gone. Only a couple packages of pasta left, 16-20' of empty pasta shelves. Meat coolers were wiped out, 2/3 empty and the store had brats and iIallian sausage where the beef used to be. On the bright side, they had some nice 1.5" thick steaks on sale, we left with those. :flame:Grilled them up last night, perfect medium rare.

Odd thing, I was at Lowes mid-week and they had 8-10 FULL pallets of toilet paper on an endcap with by the paint dept. I thought that was weird due to the stories or people hording TP? Why does Lowes have 8-10 FULL pallets of TP? Then I noticed, the TP was right across the isle from the sand paper. Can I get some 50 grit TP please?!

As for stocking up, I'm not buying in to the hysteria. I have a 150-200# of fish and enough dry stuff to last a couple of months if needed.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
People are making the situation worse. All it took was the 1st person to panic, then their friends panicked and so on. If people bought supplies as they needed them, there would be enough for everyone. But guess what. ......

Instead of, love thy neighbor its screw thy neighbor.... Not everyone of course, but enough to cause a national issue...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Just back from a trip to Menards.

Decided to stop at grocery store to pick up some broasted chicken and tater salad for lunch.

Guess what, a huge display the size of a UPS truck, of toilet paper, and its on sale, 12 double rolls for $5.49.

The entire store look full, except for cleaning supplies and the meat counter.

Freezer bunkers were full of fish, chips aisle is full, beer and booze shelves full,
dairy section - full, and pasta - its on sale too.

harringtondav

Commander
North America is the envy of the world regarding food availability and cost. Same with the other stuff we regularly buy.
There will be a dip on the shelves, but I doubt it will last long. Producers produce and package to sell. Hugh supply chains.
Soon the hoarders will run out of room to store their stash, and shelves will fill back to normal. ...hoarders will be flush with TP for months.

Maybe that "keep a two week supply" thing will stick.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The truckers aren’t getting much rest I would imagine...

alldodge

Staff member
I just don't understand the TP rush.

I don't either other then like what winusky mentioned, someone noticed the mega rolls come from china and then the panic was on, never thought about the other 90% where it comes from

Yesterday we were looking for milk in Louisville and none to be found, came back home (small town) and plenty of milk. Only issue is it cost $2.99 instead of $1.29 if found in Louisville

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Coming from China, are people stocking up on toothpaste? I would take my chances with TP

Old Ironmaker

Captain
As for stocking up, I'm not buying in to the hysteria. I have a 150-200# of fish and enough dry stuff to last a couple of months if needed.

There was plenty of everything as far as food goes in our very small country towns only grocery store. My wife said closer to the city the shelves are getting empty. Canned goods and dry goods scarcer. I'm not too worried about running out of food. We live on a lake and I have a volley ball net. Rabbits are everywhere and a pal has over 100 head of cattle. He said he can spare a leg. He is actually concerned about crooks rustling cattle. When beef prices soared here years ago a few head went missing in broad daylight. It's actually a thing believe it or not.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There was plenty of everything as far as food goes in our very small country towns only grocery store. My wife said closer to the city the shelves are getting empty. Canned goods and dry goods scarcer. I'm not too worried about running out of food. We live on a lake and I have a volley ball net. Rabbits are everywhere and a pal has over 100 head of cattle. He said he can spare a leg. He is actually concerned about crooks rustling cattle. When beef prices soared here years ago a few head went missing in broad daylight. It's actually a thing believe it or not.

I just got off the phone with a cousin here in Canada that owns vacation property in Myrtle Beach S.C. and Port Charlotte Florida. Both places were booked solid for the rest of this month and into the end of May in Fla. and into July in Myrtle Beach. Everyone of the guests have cancelled. This is the time of the year he makes his money for the entire year. He has no other income other than the 2 properties. He may lose at least 1 of the rental properties because he may not be able to make the payments. I think he is looking for me to invest. I have to think hard about this opportunity.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
People are making the situation worse. All it took was the 1st person to panic, then their friends panicked and so on. If people bought supplies as they needed them, there would be enough for everyone. But guess what. ......

Instead of, love thy neighbor its screw thy neighbor.... Not everyone of course, but enough to cause a national issue...

Hopefully we help our neighbours in some way, not screw them. I have a next door neighbour who is 88 years old and lives alone out here in the country, southern Ontario, she's in great shape for 78 let alone 88, still driving and very independent. She just got back from her place in Florida last week. I offered to take her shopping when she needs to and to my surprise she took me up on it. I am going to call her now and suggest she make a list and I get it for her tomorrow. I am no saint, believe me. If each and everyone of us can help someone who is elderly or has disabilities we all can make this crazy time in our history a bit more bearable for someone that normally doesn't need help and would never ask for it. Pick 1 person.

edit: This is funny. She thought that was a great idea but she needs cash and would need to go to her bank in town anyway. I told her I would take care of it and I know she's good for it. Nope, needs her own $$ and must go to her own branch to get cash. OK dear I can drive you into the village and she can use the bank machine. She doesn't have a bank card. There is an annual service charge and she will never pay $3.00 to a retailer to use a bank card. She might be right. I know she has more money than God and that's one reason she does.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... If each and everyone of us can help someone who is elderly or has disabilities we all can make this crazy time in our history a bit more bearable for someone that normally doesn't need help and would never ask for it. ....

60, 70 years ago, this was the norm. What's happened to us?

Chris......