Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

....stocking up for Corona virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have over 10,000 COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts. The counties were I live and work are 'hot beds' with about 50% of the overall cases in the state. I went into my work/office yesterday . . . drove instead of taking the train wore some PPE and used hand sanitizer about 20 times while I was there (7 hours) and wiped all the doors, elevator buttons, work surfaces in my path with Clorox wipes. Only the security guards, the mailroom manager, and a fire alarm contractor were there. I was the only staff parson in the building. I went in because I had an AV system contractor coming in to do some work on our conference room technology. He told me this was his last job and his company was furloughing him for the next 8 weeks

While at the office, I tried to go to the bank, but you have to make an appointment . . . can't just walk-in . . . doors are locked. So, I figured I'll go another time.

I have family in Florida, where things were not 'locked-down' as quickly as other states. Seems like the case volume is rising there. We usually assist the Admiral's parents, who are 'snowbirds' in coming back north before the weather gets too hot in FL. That journey has been postponed indefinitely. My FIL still goes out to stores and gets take-out on a daily basis . . . that is probably not the wisest thing to be doing though . . . 86 yo w/ underlying health issues.

I have a handyman lined up to do some work on the summer house. He told me that he had a customer who wanted a 6 ft high fence put around his house and wanted it done in a day Paranoia runs deep in some people . . . the guy probably felt he needed to protect his lifetime supply of toilet paper

Speaking of TP, I bought a 12-pack of TP about 2 weeks ago . . . still haven't opened it, and also have a 6 roll pack unopened, yet I see empty-nesters like ourselves buying the large 36-roll pack every chance they get. The Admiral went to the store yesterday . . . no toilet paper

Since Tom Brady is not on the Patriots payroll anymore, Robert Kraft was able to help out the Gov, who managed to buy over 1 million N95 masks from China. The Patriots Jet (767) was flown to China and back to bring the masks to Boston in rapid fashion. The local news broke from the national news programs to cover the landing and unloading of the plane.

300K of the masks were immediately loaded on the Patriots 18-wheeler and sent to NYC to help out with the situation there. Kind of funny seeing the Patriots truck a welcomed sight in NYC I believe the plane needed to make a second trip to China, because not all of the shipment would fit on the plane. The news story of the first shipment was that the plane was only allowed to be on the ground in China for 3 hours . . . they made it with 3 minutes to spare

An extended family's wedding (mid-May) has already been postponed and it looks like our family's wedding plans for July will probably be postponed as well.

Crazy times . . .
    Last edited by tpenfield; April 4th, 2020, 05:46 AM.
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

• Saw the Plane on 3 different channels yesterday and again this AM. Things are getting carzy and I'm worried about the paranoid folks, no telling what they will do.

Went over to my buddies farm yesterday just to yak like we use to do. Brought my cooler and we sat 15 feet apart on the deck and just talked for a couple hours. Was a small amount of normalcy if just for a little while
      94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
      95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
      07 Seadoo GTX
      Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
      G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet paper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	10847004
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
        1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
        2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
        (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

• Hey Chris - Was she furloughed and realized she was flushing a gold mine down the toilet?

The Patriots midnight mask run has a back story. MA bought 3 million masks overseas through BJ's and they were seized by Customs when they arrived in New York. MA Governor worked a back channel with the Chinese UN ambassador to get more masks and asked the Patriots to pickup and deliver as a "private humanitarian mission" delivery direct to Logan. MA gave masks to NYC and RI, keeping the bulk.
          BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

• Originally posted by achris View Post
            [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":10847004**[/ATTACH]
            Stores in our are invoked a no-return policy on TP, sanitizers, etc shortly after the hoarding started. Stiff 'em good, I say.
            '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

• Originally posted by achris View Post
              [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":10847004**[/ATTACH]
              I just hope she isn't returning them because they are defective. And how would she know they all are defective...oh let's not pounder that very long...
              Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
              Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
              '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
              Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

Comment

• Went to our local little store two weeks ago bought two single rolls of toilet paper they had plenty.
                Went in the next day for beer they said lady came in and bought all they had left. Wiped them out!

Comment

• My wife has left the house this morning for the first time in over 2 weeks .. TP quest among other essentials .
                  just counted 10 rolls on hand ..LOL!
                  Im hoping for a successful mission ...
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                  '64 MFG Rebuild
                  MFG forum thread https://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...at-restoration

Comment

• No luck on the TP ......
                    Anywho , I know most are getting bored sitting at home waiting this out .. I think I have posted this before but this guys YouTube video’s are really good and entertaining .. He’s restoring a 100 year old sailboat the “ Tallyho” ..
                    This is his recent video but I recommend going back and watching all of them .. I really like the one where he goes to GA to pick up a shipment of live oak for the build ..
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXV0ywqj7zY
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    '64 MFG Rebuild
                    MFG forum thread https://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...at-restoration

Comment

• I really like the one where he goes to GA to pick up a shipment of live oak for the build ..
                      I had nothing to with this!

Some of the Haggerty motor rebuilds are good and Jay Leno's garage, too.

Comment

• Went to our little store this morning to get newspaper they had four packs of tp with 4 rolls of tp in them and 6 packs of paper towels on the shelf. I did not buy any don't need it. Going back to get lotto tickets wonder if it is still there? Will report back soon.

Comment

• Bored------Look up ------Off the beaten path with Chris and Connie.------Wonderful documentation of the changing landscape / small towns in western CANADA.-----No doubt the changes are seen in the AMERICAN mid west the same way.----

Comment

• Originally posted by MRS View Post
                            Went to our little store this morning to get newspaper they had four packs of tp with 4 rolls of tp in them and 6 packs of paper towels on the shelf. I did not buy any don't need it. Going back to get lotto tickets wonder if it is still there? Will report back soon.
                            Ok got lotto tickets paper towels safe on shelf tp gone said one lady saw it and bought it all total of 16 rolls she must be full of something. Maybe expecting a major eruption of sorts.

Comment

• Yeah I've only been to put little store, first time out in a week but during the initial panic he had more on his shelf than the big stores. he had everything I needed except flour tortillas so I'll just make them. Plus I figure less people. He did start wearing a mask yesterday. Went there in the am for groceries but forgot the Wife s beer so bad to go back.
                              1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

This is some good out of me being in lockdown and only taking essential drives, one time or less per week for necessities and only 1/2 mile, 1 mile round trip.

My gas mileage is 3 weeks per gallon and at the end of this week it will be 4 miles per gallon and the week after, 5 weeks to a gallon. By week 6, the E10 in the tank will be mush. Might have to add an extra 1/4 mile one time to get some Stabil.

Comment

Working...
                                X