Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

....stocking up for Corona virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by redneck joe View Post
    Well, we are in a true crisis. They closed over 300 waffle house locations.

we're screwed.
    Now people wont need the 2 gross packs of TP they horded...... they can go back to a roll a week..........
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

• Originally posted by GA_Boater - Wash Hands - Don't Touch Face - Separate View Post
      For years I've thought too much emphasis is placed on the stock markets. .
      the whole point of the stock market is to make investors happy (make the rich.....richer)........ not make companies strong.

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

• Originally posted by BWR1953 View Post
        Yeah, a week ago my daughter told me that her company had laid off all the hourly employees and that the salaried group would have to take a 30% pay cut and that the company could last 5 months that way. They'd lost $500k in the prior couple of weeks. Yesterday that figure was up to $1 million. They just couldn't hold on.

Fortunately, my daughter is strong, versatile and capable. She's working on some plans of her own. I offered to let her come down here and stay while she regrouped. She rapidly declined the offer!

The trade show side of things has lost an incredible amount of money - some suggest close to $16B already. We'll lose some companies over this. I've taken a temporary pay cut (50%), but I also know our company will make it through (if we can get moving again by August). For me it's worth sticking it out.

Best wishes to her in her search.

Comment

• Originally posted by redneck joe View Post
          Well, we are in a true crisis. They closed over 300 waffle house locations.

we're screwed.
          LOL ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

Comment

• I have to knock on wood...... our company's contract manufacturing side of the business makes parts for the packaging industry, knife sharpening industry (for grocery store butchers and the poultry processing), and we make equipment for the cremation industry. our service side of the business keeps yachts and boats running with boarding and lifting equipment, and we have a few navy projects.

we are considered an essential industry.

we may have a contract to build some additional medical equipment.

'kogs, keep in touch, we may need an industrial stylist on contract basis.

Past Boats

Comment

• Funny when Waste Management, Republic, Waste Connections tell you that you are essential industry. Can I call my suppliers and tell them that they are essential too?

Comment

• Admiral retired from convention and visitors bureau and talk about the amount of bed tax money that they would spend to get a group in. The perks of the job were also great, having to go see main events for free with expenses. I was her arm candy when doing those things, was even able to take trips with to Hawaii and Vancouver
                94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                07 Seadoo GTX
                Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

the whole point of the stock market is to make investors happy (make the rich.....richer)........ not make companies strong.

I do not know a single person who invests who does not want to maximize return.

Comment

• Luckily we are still working .. We have a crew of around 30 on night shift hospital renovations and around 15 dayshift at the Hospital new construction . We all have to sign forms and record our temps before each shift . The cutoff temp is 100.4..
                    ‘My wife as been working from home but my daughter has still been going in to work ..There are parts of her work she can’t do from home ..
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    '64 MFG Rebuild
                    MFG forum thread https://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...at-restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                      'kogs, keep in touch, we may need an industrial stylist on contract basis.
                      Cool and thank you! I've got some projects going even now. Appreciate it!

Comment

• I can see trash removal as an essential business. Think about it for a second. With so much of the US under stay at home restrictions, they can't take empty TP rolls and wrappings and extra family trash from staying home to the dump, not to mention all the disposable hospital masks, gowns and so on requiring specialized disposal. Is a rat epidemic better than COVID19?

Wonder what the FEMA Waffle House Index is right now? Yes, that's a real thing used by FEMA to measure the severity of a disaster like hurricanes, flooding and the like because it takes a lot to shut a WH
                        Green: Waffle House is serving a full menu and electricity is on.

Yellow: Waffle House is serving a limited menu, may be low on food supplies, and is likely using an electrical generator.

Red: Waffle House is closed. (Oh s**t, time to panic.)

Scott - Sadly, I can see cremation equipment as essential.

I don't plan on watching Soylent Green and not trying Soylent drinks or low-cal bars. Yes, there is a company named Soylent.
                        BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
                        Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                        That is what the forums are for.
                        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

• Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
                          Admiral retired from convention and visitors bureau and talk about the amount of bed tax money that they would spend to get a group in. The perks of the job were also great, having to go see main events for free with expenses. I was her arm candy when doing those things, was even able to take trips with to Hawaii and Vancouver
                          It's honestly a pretty fun business to be in. I've had a lot of unique and exciting experiences. Plus my side of the work is really the enjoyable part ... so people are generally in a good mood when I'm working with 'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepCMark58A View Post

I do not know a single person who invests who does not want to maximize return.
                            That would be me, especially with CDs and money market accounts returning below inflation. But I'd like to see the speculative fluff removed from the market valuations. Basic value of any company is total asset value (Buildings/land, equipment, inventory, and available cash) plus future cash flows (income, investments, and profits from sales).

Eliminating the wild a*s speculation would stabilize stock values and the overall market. But the Vegas gamblers will still play their game.
                            '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

• Just got handed an emergency weekend project ..
                              Isolating 2 hospital wings with corridor doors to make anti rooms for entry into those wings ...
                              Both wings have active cor virus patients now ..
                              I'll have to warn my guys to not lick any door handles ....
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                              '64 MFG Rebuild
                              MFG forum thread https://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                              https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                              https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...at-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by sphelps View Post
                                Just got handed an emergency weekend project ..
                                Isolating 2 hospital wings with corridor doors to make anti rooms for entry into those wings ...
                                Both wings have active cor virus patients now ..
                                I'll have to warn my guys to not lick any door handles ....
                                Dang. Tough duty spheleps. Are you located in a hot spot?
                                '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Working...
                                X