....stocking up for Corona virus

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
There are a few cases around but wouldn’t call it a hot spot .. North Fl

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you and your guys have any masks or is it a crap shoot?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
We have mask if needed .. All the patients are isolated and they wouldn't let us in there if it was a risk .
I will make sure of that before I send guys in there . That and I will fully disclose to them who is being treated there so if they wish not to work there they can opt out if they want ...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We have mask if needed ..

It's being reported that the virus is often transmitted in the air. Masked are needed, this isn't a time to gamble when the work is in a hospital area with cases.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The guys have been wearing mask here lately so they will have them on . That and we are setting up plastic ICRA barriers around the work area .. There’s only a few infected patients there now but they are preparing for more .. That’s why we are isolating those wings ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The guys have been wearing mask here lately so they will have them on . That and we are setting up plastic ICRA barriers around the work area .. There’s only a few infected patients there now but they are preparing for more .. That’s why we are isolating those wings ...

Well sphelps, I would certainly wear a mask if suggested to that type work. However, knowing what an N95 really is, I honestly don't see how it does much protection. Since any air transmitted disease is so small, we are taking micron sizes, an N95 mask is like installing a screen door to keep water out. I was always told that if you can smell any paint or fumes, then you need a quality 3M type cartridge VOC mask. And a mere N95 is for blocking out dust, nothing more. Corona Virus sees an N95 mask and zips right through them... Just saying... So be very careful!

On a lighter side, in view of the Pandemic on Toilet Paper that is going on, I am going to try and see just how thin my wood planner can go. I mean I have tons of wood, and if I can get it so thin to be usable, I'm golden... lol :cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well sphelps, I would certainly wear a mask if suggested to that type work. However, knowing what an N95 really is, I honestly don't see how it does much protection. Since any air transmitted disease is so small, we are taking micron sizes, an N95 mask is like installing a screen door to keep water out. I was always told that if you can smell any paint or fumes, then you need a quality 3M type cartridge VOC mask. And a mere N95 is for blocking out dust, nothing more. Corona Virus sees an N95 mask and zips right through them... Just saying... So be very careful!...

Actually, this is not correct. Covid19 is not an aerosolized virus. Except in very rare circumstances such as inside ICU rooms, etc.

The virus can in fact be defeated by the N-95 masks. But other precautions must still be taken, such as wearing gloves, sanitizing anything and everything and washing hands a lot. The virus is very infectious. I saw one report from a couple weeks ago where a single infected patient transmitted the disease to over 200 health care workers because they didn't take appropriate precautions.

Be safe out there! :)

harringtondav

Commander
Actually, this is not correct. Covid19 is not an aerosolized virus. Except in very rare circumstances such as inside ICU rooms, etc.

Exactly. Cough and sneeze borne saliva and mucus (spit and snot) to your face, mouth and nose. The masks are good. But these projectiles land on surfaces and the bug lives for a long time. AD's new tag line nails it. Keep your hands away from your face. Sanitize them if the stuff is available. Wash the heck out of them when you get to a sink. ..I wash my mouth and nose at the same time. ...gotta trim the nose hairs. I didn't realize until now the urge to wipe a knuckle across them.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Off the hook for now .. They postponed the plan ...They do that a lot ! LOL !
They'll probably call me Saturday night to try and set up a crew for Sunday .. :facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The other thing to bare in mind... Unless it's a proper surgical mask, it's generally for sick people to reduce spreading the infection, not for health people to not catch it. You catch it when your hands touch a surface that an infected person (not wearing a mask) has sneezed/coughed on. Once it's on your hands, you still haven't 'caught' it. It requires you to touch your face, specifically your eyes, mouth or nose. It's from there that the virus can find it's way into your lungs and sinuses and start using the bodies own cells to reproduce. It's THEN that you have caught it. And that's why washing your hands frequently is one of the best defenses.

And why GA_Boater has added [h=2]Wash Hands - Don't Touch Face - Separate[/h] to his job title.

Chris.......

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I used to cough to hide a fart. Now I fart to hide a cough.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Odd how the rush on items in the stores was TP for the most part. And if this shelter-in-place continues for a long period of time, our TP supplies will be gone. But remember this, junk mail could be a replacement. So never has junk mail seemed so important 'til now... Just saying... Hope the colors don't come off... :facepalm:

82rude

Rear Admiral
No shortage of t.p. up here.There was for about 1 week but plenty now.Limits are still in place on it and certain other items.No limits on turkeys,limit of 8 lbs of butter.Actually the other day they had a limit of 2 on both the butter and birds but today no limit on birds and limit of 8 on butter.Lots of t.p. with limit of 2 packs.I bought 8 lbs of butter and 1 turkey (20lbs).As i said to my pops you can make turkey soup,hot turkey sandwiches,cold sandwiches,turkey lasagna,burgers,pie ,etc,etc and of course etc.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I went to our local Walmart at 0600 yesterday morning for the "seniors only" access time. I was able to stock up on essentials including TP and paper towels. So we're set for awhile.

Walmart was fairly busy with all the Q-tips (senior citizens) shopping and most of them were crowded into the grocery section. I was fortunate enough to get bacon, sausage, hamburger and other meats but I forgot about shrimp and fish. The dairy section only had "free range" eggs which cost like 3 times as much as the regular ones. No skim milk either.

The last time I'd been in the store, the entire meat section was empty and paper goods was devastated. :cool:

I didn't like getting up so early though. Ugh. ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Luckily , I guess , my job is considered essential.. 90% of our construction is hospital related .. Talking with my boss yesterday he noted that if all we did was strip malls or office buildings we would most probably be shut down ..
Today we are starting to turn an entire empty floor of one of our hospitals into temp virus patient floor ..
‘Hopefully we won’t need the space but they are getting ready just in case ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Funny you mentioned "free range eggs" and the increased cost. We have a lot of egg producing places in Georgia and one of them had some type issue a few months ago. And they were recalling eggs. Odd how the normal eggs (all the typical store brands and such) and the expensive Egg-lands Best eggs, were all coming from the exact same egg farm/place. Seems advertising is the only difference when it comes to most eggs. Makes one wonder how many other normal and costly items are the same...

The Force power

Commander
Funny you mentioned "free range eggs" and the increased cost. We have a lot of egg producing places in Georgia and one of them had some type issue a few months ago. And they were recalling eggs. Odd how the normal eggs (all the typical store brands and such) and the expensive Egg-lands Best eggs, were all coming from the exact same egg farm/place. Seems advertising is the only difference when it comes to most eggs. Makes one wonder how many other normal and costly items are the same...

An egg farmer can produce both types;
Free range= 500 chickens moving around in a 50'X20" bay
"normal" eggs = 5 chickens in a 4'X 18" cage takes up less space; therefor less $$$

the recall may of had something to do with the feed