Today is a statutory holiday in Ontario Canada

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't know about the rest of the country but today is something called "Family Day" a paid holiday in Ontario. When it first came out about 20 years ago it was called "Heritage Day" for some reason they changed it. Probably because we don't have much heritage I dunno. But there isn a hockey game on between Toronto and Buffalo in Buffalo right now. And of course a big national Curling Tourney from Moose Jaw Saskatchewan. I've never been to Saskatchewan and I'm never going back. In my 65 years I have only met 2 people born there. I have not met the other 3000.

Something that we all love about Canada is that paid holidays are handed out like M and M's. We didn't have a holiday between May and Labour Day so they came up with Canada Day, July 1st every year to imitate The 4th of July in the US. Complete with the mandatory BBQ and fireworks. Then they realized it was 2 full months between July 1st and Labour Day so they came up with "The Civic Holiday" august 1st. Beautiful. Then they realized no holiday from New Years day until Good Friday so they came up with this paid holiday mid February ever year.

Gotta love Canada eh?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What statues do you honor on this bestest of Canadian holidays?

On the south side of the border, it's Presidents Day so banks, Feds and post office are closed. After all the last day off for them was a month ago. Can't let them go too long between paid holidays where most of us work and have no paid holiday between New Years and Memorial Day the end of May.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not surprising then that 500 million folks want to come here.------Streets are paved with silver !!-------Ottawa does not worry about who pays for it all.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It's not a holiday in Canada unless it's a paid holiday. There are dozens or more National holidays south of us but not all paid. When I say south of us everyone knows I'm talking about the USA. Actually much of NY and east is north of where we live. Buffalo is north of Selkirk Ontario where we live.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
OK I like how you think @82rude.Let's email, text, twitter, Facebook or facetime Justin or however we get him and let's get on that. Maybe opening for Bass should be a national holiday. Yep 3rd Saturday in June as a national paid holiday for Bass and Musky opening, a 2fer. I know there is no longer a snail mail address at Parliament.