Kobe Bryant passes at 41

aspeck

Staff member
It is being reported that Kobe is 1 of 5 people killed in a helicopter crash in California. Kobe spent 20 years playing with the Lakers and his last game in 2015 he scored 60 points. He leaves behind a wife and 4 daughters. Just yesterday LeBron James passed Kobe for 3rd place in all time scoring.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Kobe's daughter, 13 year old Gianna was also aboard with 3 others. Sad.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Kobe's daughter, 13 year old Gianna was also aboard with 3 others. Sad.

When I heard that the teen daughter died as well it really hit me. Just last night LeBron James passed Kobe Bryant for the 3rd all time scorer in the NBA. James did a locker interview praising Bryant and how he inspired him to become the best he could when meeting him when James was in High School. Just last night. Condolences to the family and friends of Coby Bryant that knew him personally. We only knew the guy on TV and on the court. Tragic.

GA_Boater

Now the report is 9 souls on board. Only a few have been identified.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There were 7 others on that flight. A mother and daughter, a wife who left behind a husband to raise 3 kids. A husband, wife and daughter and the pilot. Yet people and the media just concentrate on Kobe.... He was a retired NBA player. But at the same time, I get it. Not that it's right... Just goes to show how we elevate celebrities to the highest pedestals.....

GA_Boater

Have to agree with that, Musky. More than Bryant families are grieving and their lives are no less important. If you or I were on that chopper, it would only be a passing mention while our families are just as devastated as the Bryants. I feel more sorry for the living.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was it his own " private " helicopter ??----Did someone put pressure on the pilot to get moving in conditions that grounded other helicopters ?----No patience these days I say.

southkogs

Staff member
At last I heard, it was Bryan't private helicopter. That's an expensive bird, so that may not be the case when it all comes out. Not too much news on the flight - why or what happened - sounds like the last contact with the aircraft was a request for flight following due to weather. If I heard it right, ATC was telling him he had to gain altitude for flight following. Pilot was IFR rated.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There were 7 others on that flight. A mother and daughter, a wife who left behind a husband to raise 3 kids. A husband, wife and daughter and the pilot. Yet people and the media just concentrate on Kobe.... He was a retired NBA player. But at the same time, I get it. Not that it's right... Just goes to show how we elevate celebrities to the highest pedestals.....

Exactly how I feel. I couldn't find a station on the radio today on my road trip that wasn't about Kobe Bryant and his daughter. I grieve whenever someone is taken in the prime of ones life. More so when a child is killed or dies for whatever reason. No mention whatsoever of the pilot. He had a family as well. Someone was interviewed that said that the chopper hit the ground at 185 MPH, flew into the side of the mountain in poor visibility How they know that beats me. LA Police grounded their helicopters in the same area at the same time because of fog according to a news report I heard this afternoon. Thousands have died since yesterday in accident's including children, no mention of them because they aren't celebrities.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I fly for a living. This accident is a classic CFIT— Controlled Flight Into Terrain. It is a tragedy, and frankly I was dumbfounded to hear, that the helicopter was not equipped with TAWS— Terrain Awareness and Warning System. It takes GPS position, altitude and direction of flight and continuously compares it to a terrain database and issues specific warnings when flying towards terrain. It’s relatively cheap as things aviation go. There’s no reason beyond simple false economy that TAWS was not on that helicopter, especially since they typically fly close to the ground. And where this helicopter was operated, Southern California, it was critically important to have it. There is rapidly rising terrain scattered all over the place and there have been many, many CFIT accidents, both rotary and fixed wing, there over the years.

Big airplanes have EGPWS— Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System. It functions in much the same way as TAWS. It’s the single biggest advance in safety in my 30 years of flying big airplanes. Since it came out, CFIT has nearly disappeared in airplanes so equipped. Before EGPWS, there were usually several big airplane CFIT accidents every year worldwide.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Do we know that the helicopters did not have a TAWS warning? PULL UP TERRAIN, PULL UP TERRIAN. I presume that is the TAWS. I have seen more than a few episodes of Mayday where the TAWS or EGPWS warned the pilot and it was ignored or it was simply too late to avoid contact with the ground.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The investigations into these accidents usually come across similar errors made.-----Apparently this helicopter was climbing above the clouds.-----Then dropped rapidly till impact.--------Why were they flying ?----Somebody wanted to get somewhere in time !!--------I do not fly.----I love watching those tricky landings and " go arounds " on YOUTUBE.----Next year or so around 400 folks will board a 777X with 2 MONSTER engines and fly across oceans.------Not me.

southkogs

Staff member
We do know the whirly wasn't TAWS equipped. That was confirmed so far in the investigation. The pilot was apparently VERY experienced, and rated for flying in conditions at least similar to what he was in. His last contact with ATC was to request flight following from SOCAL, but he was too low (under 1,200 ASL) for them to track. He indicated he was trying to climb over the clouds to get into some contact, but wound up with a high speed impact into the ground.

Kobe's wife put out a well done message to the media. Can't imagine the how hard it is to lose both husband and daughter for her. Very sad.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Investigation now seems to say that the company was not allowed to fly in foggy conditions.----Pilot may have been very experienced , but NOT in foggy conditions.-----The story may change again and again.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Investigation now seems to say that the company was not allowed to fly in foggy conditions.----Pilot may have been very experienced , but NOT in foggy conditions.-----The story may change again and again.

Just like out on the water fog can pop up at anytime, fast. I've gotten caught a few times in sudden fog on the water. Without GPS tracking data I might not have made it back to port in 1 piece. Did the pilot that was not qualified to fly in foggy conditions aware fog was in the area or in the forecast? The LA Police knew that otherwise they wouldn't be grounded that morning. Flying in a helicopter is not my 1st choice to get somewhere.We have had to use them to access mining sites in northern Canada. After this and recent military chopper crashes I don't think I will go up in one of those things again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was in Alberta in 2018 and some folks there went up in a sight seeing helicopter.-----My feet stayed on the ground instead of the 8 minute ride.-----The video from the front seat was all I needed.-----The pilot did say that helicopters are safe and he said ---" I can land it anywhere in an emergency "

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I once knew a guy that flew those 8 min sightseeing tours over Niagara Falls. After seeing how much booze he could swill down I never took up his invitation to go for a ride.

Yep. Helicopters can land anywhere in an emergency, including upside down.

ezbtr

Commander
yeah sad to hear he AND others died like that, he was a good basketball player....so whats the news say on OUR troop casualties overseas???..........................

Old Ironmaker

Captain
yeah sad to hear he AND others died like that, he was a good basketball player....so whats the news say on OUR troop casualties overseas???..........................

Exactly. We are a society that worships our celebrities as hero's. They are not hero's, I can make a long list of real deal hero's and they have never been on TV or the big screen. How many good people have died tragically since Bryant died? No big celebrations or parades for them. My grand father, Nono Miano told me once when I was a child "Mickey Mantle never once paid for your home, food and clothing, your father did."