Ice fishing anyone

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Ice Fishing anyone?

A new year, new challenges. I actually posted pics!!! Heee Haaa.

Attachments

• ice road trucker.jpg
    ice road trucker.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Lake Simcoe idiot.jpg
    Lake Simcoe idiot.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
  • truck-through-lake.jpg
    truck-through-lake.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's never good when the plow truck is sitting like that. Too much snow is left on the road. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I mentioned to my wife that I would like to try ice fishing one day .. It would be kinda cool just to hang out in one of those heated cabins and fish .. My wife wants to know if there is a heater what keeps the ice from melting ..
The only ice down here is the ice in my sweet tea ..LOL !

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I mentioned to my wife that I would like to try ice fishing one day .. It would be kinda cool just to hang out in one of those heated cabins and fish .. My wife wants to know if there is a heater what keeps the ice from melting ..

Ice fishin' isn't for the faint of heart. The only thing stopping a red hot wood stove from melting the ice is the ice. I've seen it 15" deep and gingerly walked back to shore when we found 1". Believe it or not some guys stayed out on an inch of ice to fish. They are insane. Just last weekend a guy I know went through the ice because he brought his dog ice fishing, always a no no. Dogs dont know thin black ice from thick blue ice. Both survived, thankfully the pup. If Geoff didn't have his floatation survival suit on he wouldn't have survived or if he did he wouldn't have made the 2 mile walk back to camp. I could write a book about ice fishing follies. I can't ice fish any more, my back can't take the sled ride and no way I'm walking out anymore. Besides with the winter we are having there isn't safe ice a 7 hour drive north of us. That doesn't stop some nuts I know.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

Not much fishing getting done in ice huts. They actually have Ice Bungalows they rent out. Basically a heated living and bedroom with holes in the floors and mostly drinking and drinking. I know your next ? They have outdoor porta potties. Any drunks that pee down a hole spend the night outside the hut. People and young couples will stay out there from Friday to Sunday. Only the ice keeps the wood stove from melting the ice, never heard of it happening. It must have at some time.

edit: I need to get some sleep, I'm seeing double.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Iron - You can ice fish like Matthew McConaughey from the comfort of a Lincoln SUV. Like he ever ice fished.

aspeck

Staff member
Heat rises, so the heat from the heater does minimal effect to the ice that is rejuvenating itself from underneath, like an indoor ice rink. It is not 80 in the hut, but it is tolerable.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Iron - You can ice fish like Matthew McConaughey from the comfort of a Lincoln SUV. Like he ever ice fished.

And I want to know how that vehicle made it to the middle of nowhere in showroom clean condition.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

I think that Lincoln was parked on land. Many, including myself the very 1st time icefishing, will drive their cars and trucks onto the ice. It's a normal thing to do. My insurance broker says I am not insured if my vehicle goes under. I haven't done it in over 40 years and don't intend to do that again. Actually I don't intend on icefishing in my lifetime again.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Heat rises, so the heat from the heater does minimal effect to the ice that is rejuvenating itself from underneath, like an indoor ice rink. It is not 80 in the hut, but it is tolerable.

And anyone with any brains sets the stove on a sheet of plywood. We have had a hut 80F many times. Guys and gals strip down to their skivvies. Co ed icefishing was fun when in my 20's and 30's. Cheaper than a motel room plus you can't fish in a motel room.

southkogs

Staff member
Several of the ice shantys I fished out of (not mine) had floors and "skids." They could be towed out on the lake, and there was a hole in the floor. Just a little space between the ice and the hut to keep the warm air up top from threatening the ice in any significant way, and you could keep the shanty pretty toasty.

Still lost plenty of shantys and vehicles to the ice in the early spring :facepalm: One dude on the lake went as far as to just put pontoons on his. He'd just float it in if he had too.

GA_Boater

If it's cold enough to freeze a lake, it's too darn cold.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If it's cold enough to freeze a lake, it's too darn cold.

My exact sentiments. When I sit here watching the lake freeze I seriously question as to why I didn't take up my cousins offer to move to Atlanta and work with him, he became a very successful custom home builder. Atlanta was growing like a weed then. The Omni Center was brand new I think. Toronto had nothing like that, yet. I stopped in Atlanta to look him up on my way back from Florida in 76'. 4 of us left Ontario in my van, actually the same Econoline 100 I drove on the ice with, I drove back solo. We lost the 1st guy in Daytona on the way to Lauderdale, the other 2 flew home after a few days. A 22 year old need never be alone on spring break in FLA. Those idiots must have missed their Mommy's.

GA_Boater

In Texas tower cranes are the state bird. They must have all migrated to Atlanta.

lynn7525

Banned
Ice fishing is winter fishing of either of two brands: cork, and spear fishing. Cork fishing is stationary thru a hole in the ice. Any roaming done is by cutting other holes. Spear fishing requires a larger area cleared of ice that allows a person to throw a heavy spear with an attached line or chain into the water below. Spearhouses are usually kept dark to compensate for the increased light from a removed section. Fish are thus very sensitive to light variations in winter. Cork fishing can be either directly controlled or remotely by a tip-up that signals a catch at a distance on the ice.

aspeck

Staff member
We had 3 people fall through the ice in a nearby town while fishing over the weekend. 2 made it out themselves and the third was pulled out by a rescue team. The third one had a visit to the hospital, but all 3 survived. A fortunate end to what could have been an ugly situation.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We had 3 people fall through the ice in a nearby town while fishing over the weekend. 2 made it out themselves and the third was pulled out by a rescue team. The third one had a visit to the hospital, but all 3 survived. A fortunate end to what could have been an ugly situation.

I'm glad no one drowned. Hypothermia kicks in very quickly when the water is 32.00001F. We walked out on the ice a few years ago not knowing how thick but there were others already out fishing. I walk about 25' from a guy and he starts yelling at me to stay away. I see water coming up from his hole. I ask him how thick the ice is, he says about 2". I carefully walked back to shore. Some idiots just ask for tragedy.