Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Dad passes at 75

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The Rocks father has passed at age 75. When I was a kid my brother and my pals would attend tapings of "Maple Leaf Wrestling" in Hamilton Ontario at the Channel 11, CHCH studios on Saturdays. Had to be the mid 60's. If there were 30 people there it was full. He was my favorite amongst all the future WWF superstars. They were all there from Bruno Samartino to a baby face Andre the Giant. One of the guys was "The Beast" my second favorite. He was also a bricklayer at the steel plant that was on my Dad's crew. He and other steelworkers often came to our place after night shift and Mom cooked them all a nice pasta meal at 8 AM. Rocky Johnson was the 1st wrestler that looked like a Body Builder. RIP Rocky and condolences to the Family.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/rocky-johnson-curtis-bowles-johnson-1.5429494

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander
I haven't thought about Bruno Sammartino in years. My Italian in-laws to my first wife would have switched channels if they were watching the Pope to wrestling if Bruno was on the card. Did you know Steelers’ owner Art Rooney offered him a tryout with his NFL team, but Bruno learned he could make a lot more money – over $30,000 – if he became a pro wrestler. I seem to remember that Rooney's offer was about half that.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I haven't thought about Bruno Sammartino in years. My Italian in-laws to my first wife would have switched channels if they were watching the Pope to wrestling if Bruno was on the card. Did you know Steelers’ owner Art Rooney offered him a tryout with his NFL team, but Bruno learned he could make a lot more money – over $30,000 – if he became a pro wrestler. I seem to remember that Rooney's offer was about half that.

I didn't know about Bruno's NFL offer. Thanks. Actually back then guys were going to Canada to play Football as the CFL actually paid more than the NFL. Same around our house when Bruno Samartino wrestled. Everything stopped until his match was over. After Bruno came 2 Italians wrestling and were tag team partners that were from Niagara Falls Ontario. Dominic DeNucci and his partner who's name is at the tip of my tongue. edit: Tony Parisi. Didn't have to ask Siri. No one ever told my Noni that wrestling was fake, I pity the fool. No food for you.

Dominic DeNucci bio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini...66,_1968,_1970)

The Rock played at The University of Miami, His Football career didn't pan out. He was cut by the Toronto Argos of the CFL after he graduated. If I remember he got injured in Toronto ending his Football career.