Buy Smart TV get free full time adds

alldodge

Staff member
Bought a Samsung Q900FN smart TV and the thing has all kinds of apps peloaded which cannot be removed or hidden. Unable to even move them lower on the pecking order. The remote has 3 quick buttons (Hulu, Netflix, Prime) which cannot be reprogrammed to use something else like Roku or other.

I like the TV, great pic, but at least with a computer you can uninstall or hide the stuff, not with the TV. My old Sony 1080p TV still works fine, just thought, can't take the money with so why not

Haven't turned on Bixby yet and found out that if I do I'll start getting how about watching this vid, or other show. Have the samsung app on the phone for the vacation rental and haven't turned Bixby ON, on my phone either

alldodge

Staff member
Will look more into it, but I can hardly hear the guy. He showed removing prime or one of the mains, but my remove/delete on them is grayed out so unable to select

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
We have a Samsung 57” Smart TV.

Rarely if use or even go to the Smart Hub.

Can download new and clear old apps using “clear” function in the Smart Hub

Use a Roku enhance remote to control the TV. Only need Samsung remote for broadcast TV and to adjust “setting”

Make sure you download the latest updates for both Roku and the TV

alldodge

Staff member
Guess just like my phone, I have the nex gen TV. Wife and I both have S9 and mine has stuff which gets reloaded everytime it gets updated, the wifes doesn't.

The TV I have is new for 2019 8K model and I did load the Roku app, the Roku remote I have with old TV doesn't work (or I have yet to figure out how it does) with the TV. The dish remote works fine to control what we normally watch, but does not control the other functions

I do have a smarthub but its at the rental, guess I could install another here if it would help but would need to know how before doing. Do have smart lock or anything like at home

harringtondav

Commander
This isn't second guessing, but we first bought a Roku Express puck to upgrade our cabin basic TV to streaming. We liked it so well we bought a full Roku TV for home, then another. There are many smart/streaming TVs out there. Research which streaming providers are available for each. All come with many free channels, some OK, some junk --just like the dead cable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Guess just like my phone, I have the nex gen TV. Wife and I both have S9 and mine has stuff which gets reloaded everytime it gets updated, the wifes doesn't.

The TV I have is new for 2019 8K model and I did load the Roku app, the Roku remote I have with old TV doesn't work (or I have yet to figure out how it does) with the TV. The dish remote works fine to control what we normally watch, but does not control the other functions

I do have a smarthub but its at the rental, guess I could install another here if it would help but would need to know how before doing. Do have smart lock or anything like at home
Interesting....on out TV, Smart Hub is the TV’s “home screen”. Used to search, select apps, adjust settings, etc.

Used the Samsung smart hub as our “home screen” for a bit then switched over to a Roku Stick with the enhanced (voice command) remote. I installed the remote on my phone as well. More functional than the remote with nothing to buy.

Now use Roku as our home screen. Netflix, Sling, Pluto, and all streaming apps are accessible there.

Google “pairing Roku remote” to pair remote with TV. Pretty simple. My wife likes the voice command part

alldodge

Staff member
Guess its just going to take more time to figure out what the TV does and does not do. The TV came with voice remote but I haven't agreed to giving it and samsung the ok for all my info. Probably I'm just going to give the ok to TV and when that happens might as well and let the phone do it also.

The TV has shown up on the phone and so has the remote function, it just doesn't work fully

The roku app doesn't have all the functions (as yet) that the puck does, and trying to find the stuff I use to watch may be there but so far there isn't a search function inside it.

To get full functionality I'm probably going to have to use voice.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Guess its just going to take more time to figure out what the TV does and does not do. The TV came with voice remote but I haven't agreed to giving it and samsung the ok for all my info. Probably I'm just going to give the ok to TV and when that happens might as well and let the phone do it also.

The TV has shown up on the phone and so has the remote function, it just doesn't work fully

The roku app doesn't have all the functions (as yet) that the puck does, and trying to find the stuff I use to watch may be there but so far there isn't a search function inside it.

To get full functionality I'm probably going to have to use voice.
Not a fan of combos. Running 2nd and 3rd party apps on an interface is just asking for problems down the road.

Do yourself a favor, dump the Samsung interface and run a stand alone Roku interface on a HDMI input.

Roku is a better interface with better long term support

alldodge

Staff member
Would be easy enough to try, I have the samsung connect bow and has open hdmi ports

bassman284

Commander
Well, if nothing else, you've convinced me to keep my current phone and TV.

Interestingly enough, a little less than 3 hours after that post my TV took a crap and I had to buy a new one today. It's a SMART TV but I carefully avoided initiating and of the smart features for the time being.

alldodge

Staff member
Interestingly enough, a little less than 3 hours after that post my TV took a crap and I had to buy a new one today. It's a SMART TV but I carefully avoided initiating and of the smart features for the time being.

:thumb:

alldodge

Staff member
I'll get use to and have accomplished some fixes posted. I should have also thought about it a bit more being in rural area. Max DSL is 8MB and I need at least 25MB for a 4K stream and 100MB for 8K. Can watch using Blue ray or pay extra (7 mth) for on demand via dish.

The TV does have better contrast then old sony XBR