Heating my house with corn

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I wish I had bought a corn stove years ago. I heated my house for 25 years with wood. Cutting and splitting, stacking. The ash and smoke and dust got real old. This year when I started cutting I said enough and bought a corn stove.

So nice constant even temperature, electric back up heat never comes on, the humidifier can keep up. Load the stove twice a day burn about 100 pounds on a cold day. So simple and easy and cheeper as well.

alldodge

Staff member
Never tried corn but have read where it has some variables. How dry the corn is, and where to store to keep critters out. With corn being real low in cost it should be a good deal, that is until demand goes back up.

I gave up on wood inserts and installed 2 vented propane inserts. All the work and I was to tired to do all the work anymore. They are sealed units where outside air is used for combustion and have blowers. Mostly use them when temps drop below 40* and otherwise its just a heat pump. I go thru one tank a winter, just under 400 gallons

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Corn cost really depends where you live. I pay $77 per thousand pounds in 100 pound bags. It is all last years corn that I buy. I keep the corn in my shop where it is warm and dry, and the barn cat that moved into the shop is very happy with the agreement.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, cost depends on area, how close to where produced, and also on the market. World buys more, or buys less drives cost

So would you agree that if you use 1 bag a day, in 90 days that would be $963 (7.70 per bag) or $7.70 a day. Probably use less on warmer days but heating would normally be more then 90 days

My buddy put in one of those central boilers but that still a lot of work, just don't need all the splitting

DeepCMark58A

Commander
One of the best things is constant temperature not the highs and lows of wood. With wood my electric back up would run night and morning. My electric bill would be $300 plus per month, with the corn stove the electric heat does not come on and the electric bill is $150 or less per month. Constant 72 degrees.