Prime Rib?

MRS

Commander
Nobody cooking a prime rib this year? I did one new years and it turned out a little over done so have one coming off in a few minutes here hopefully not over done.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'll take either burnt emds or MidRare.....

Hope it was tasty

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Never been a fan of Prime Rib. Always thought they looked raw. However, the last 2 years, we have gone to Warm Beach Christmas Theater and have had Prime Rib. Excellent Meal and dinner theater there.

alldodge

Staff member
Just bought 2 full rib eyes ($6 lb) and cooked up so 1 inch thick Med and was great

Vac sealed and froze the rest

82rude

Rear Admiral
On both the deer and prime try peppercorn sauce.Dy-no-mite.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Just bought 2 full rib eyes ($6 lb) and cooked up so 1 inch thick Med and was great

$6 a pound for ribeye?? If I could find ribeye here in California for $6 lb I’d buy a tractor trailer full of it.

MRS

Commander
This one turned out great! But I do like mine on the rare side if the meat is a good cut it is (was) so tender the wife likes hers cook a little more but loved this one. Prime Rib and real horseradish yummm...

MRS

Commander
No Prime Rib, but I did smoke an entire venison hind quarter between Christmas and New Years ... it was SLAMMIN' GOOD!

Have not had venison in a long time but I bet it was really good I am still trying to figure out how to use a smoker the right way. The only thing I can get right is a turkey always turns out good everything else is so so.
Maybe you could send some hints this way. :hungry:

aspeck

Staff member
Don’t have time today, but the abbreviated version is low and slow, a good rub and let it sit on the meat long enough, match the meat to the smoke ...

alldodge

Staff member
Hey heard today that Weber is coming out with a grill that connects to your phone. It has probes that go into the meat at different points. You tell it what your cooking and it tells you what rub and when to flip or other. Controls the heat and tells ya when its done

If it could only cut it up for me on the plate like Moma use to :rolleyes:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
AD, no. Just no. Meat is meant to be fondled while cooking. Nothing auto should ever be done with my meat.

side note, I'm fairly certain y'all talking about rib roast, not prime rib. Prime is the grade of beef. Rib roast is the cut. anything less that $20 or so per lb is for sure not prime grade.

that said, I do not buy prime. Choice Is always good enough for us especially when on sale.

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2013/01/28/whats-your-beef-prime-choice-or-select?page=1

alldodge

Staff member
Prime rib is also known as standing rib roast. ... The ribeye cut comes from the exact same rib area of the animal. The cut is from the rib roast, aka prime rib. To be considered a ribeye, the steak must be cut before the roast is cooked.

Same meat, just not cut

harringtondav

Commander

$6/lb is a great price. Here in Iowa we have Fareway stores. $6.99/lb on special. The price/lb goes up as soon as I tear off that useless slab of tallow.

My recipe is simple and bullet proof. Preheat the oven to max temp - ours is 550 deg F. Give the meat a good rub with Canadian/Montreal steak seasoning, into the hot oven for 15 min (exhaust hood on high - lots of smoke), then turn the oven down to 320 F, insert a digital meat thermo an walk away. No peeking. When the thermo chirps at 120 F, remove the roast, tent it with alum foil and lots of towels. It will continue to cook on it's own. Normally the temp will climb another 20 deg. Perfect med/rare. Pull it from the oven at a lower temp if you like more pink. It will still cook up another 20 deg.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Prime rib - last one we did was 11 -1/2 lbs and multiple ones prior to that of equal weight - all turned out PERFECT! The same exact done-ness all the way through. Our secret is Sous Vide.

I would suggest the best way to explain it is to recommend you watch Sous Vide Everything on you tube

My wife and I have made steaks, chops, chicken, shrimp fish and lots more with ours. It is an addictive form of cooking

MRS

Commander
My recipe is simple and bullet proof. Preheat the oven to max temp - ours is 550 deg F. Give the meat a good rub with Canadian/Montreal steak seasoning, into the hot oven for 15 min (exhaust hood on high - lots of smoke), then turn the oven down to 320 F, insert a digital meat thermo an walk away. No peeking. When the thermo chirps at 120 F, remove the roast, tent it with alum foil and lots of towels. It will continue to cook on it's own. Normally the temp will climb another 20 deg. Perfect med/rare. Pull it from the oven at a lower temp if you like more pink. It will still cook up another 20 deg.

You lay the towels over the tented foil?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nothing is better than coronavirus lockdown prime rib, except non-coronavirus non-lockdown prime rib. Ah, the good old days. Ya still got my mouth awatering! :D