Nascar Next-Gen Car - Details And Maybes

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
In 2021 the next generation of Cup cars will hit the track. We've been seeing some about testing earlier this Fall about Austin Dillon doing some testing, but that's about it. AutoWeek has a pretty comprehensive story with technical details.

For example, it will have independent rear suspension like almost every new car on the road and will use 18" tires and rims, again like many new cars. Body on frame is gone with a unit body and the body is made of composite material like X-Cars new body - No more metal bodies.

There is a chance the wheels will have single nut wheels instead of 5 lugs and gas cans may go the way of the dodo with a hose fueling system. Shades of IMSA, IndyCar and F1. Yes, hybrid technology is mentioned too.

Some other insight about the new car and the Cup series in general, including adding more manufacturers, which is one of reasons behind the changes. The words "level playing field" are used for drawing in more than the 3 current manufacturers. The article;

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/a30351017/next-gen-what-we-know-about-nascars-new-car/

aspeck

Staff member
Cool article... will be interesting how this shakes outfit NASCAR. Will the “purists” be upset and leave in greater numbers then is already happening, or will this attract a younger demographic? Time will tell.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Will a TESTLA be allowed to enter ??--------The fact is that many young folks are turning away from the cars we used to love !!-----Remember the muscle cars that used to " shake the ground " after starting ?----Many young folks would say ----" why would you want that " and they are being educated to go " green " in schools.

GA_Boater

I think the new car will put more emphasis on the driver. All the teams have reams and reams of data for each track and it will be useless. Drivers will have to redevelop a driving style to suit the new car. IRS and 18" tires will drastically change car handing, as well as a new sequential 6 speed transmission where we may see shifting on an oval.

One of the other big changes will be pit stops if single nut wheels and inbuilt air jacks come to be Tire changes should be faster even with 2 tire changers and 1 big nut vs 5 small lugs. Since the car will have all 4 wheels off the ground, no more falling off the jack or taking a jack out of the pit box. We won't see a jack man slipping and falling down anymore.

All these proposals will mean a Cup car will be a heavy, full bodied IndyCar/F1 car, or think IMSA Grand Touring car with Corvettes, Caddies, Acura, Audi, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lexus, McLaren, Mercedes-AMG, and Porsche. This might be Nascar's wildest dream! Nascar owned IMSA has 17 manufacturers for 2020 and Nascar wants a piece of that for Cup and X-Men. I think future Trucks will be pretty much be unchanged - I mean BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. have no pickup trucks

Tesla Nascar won't happen until they either develop a gas motored version or Nascar goes full electric.

kenny nunez

Captain
If more different brands start racing hopefully the team members who get cut from the current ones will find employment.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Cool article... will be interesting how this shakes outfit NASCAR. Will the “purists” be upset and leave in greater numbers then is already happening, or will this attract a younger demographic? Time will tell.

I don't think the younger crowd is interested, or will be, in NASCAR, F1 or Indy. They're into X-Games stuff, winter and summer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Interesting, time will tell, what we end up with. I am really surprised they have waited so long to consider the one nut wheel system..

GA_Boater

I don't know if the car will debut with all new things. I get the feeling reading the article that changes will by phased in over time. Of course Nascar seems to do things on the fly, so probably after Daytona 2021 Nascar will tell the teams to buy new rattle guns for the next race. Or overnight between the Pocono doubleheader races. :lol:

Last season they changed spoilers between practice and qualifying at one race, Talladega I think because the cars were too fast.

GA_Boater

One place the new generation car won't be racing is ISM Raceway.

Why? Other than "ism" ending a lot illnesses, what does ISM mean? Ingenuity Sun Media, that's what.

Anyway, ISM has ended their 10 year track naming contract with Phoenix International Raceway 8 years early.

PIR is back to being called Phoenix again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Will a TESTLA be allowed to enter ??--------The fact is that many young folks are turning away from the cars we used to love !!-----Remember the muscle cars that used to " shake the ground " after starting ?----Many young folks would say ----" why would you want that " and they are being educated to go " green " in schools.

they still think that Prius and plastic water bottles are green.

they think a diesel generator at a Tesla charging station is green

they dont understand vehicles that last 50 years (and take less resources to build) than todays plastic carp. they really dont understand paper bags, glass returnable bottles, mason jars, a root cellar and what it was like to be truly green

I don't think the younger crowd is interested, or will be, in NASCAR, F1 or Indy. They're into X-Games stuff, winter and summer.

most cant change a tire, however they have 200 apps on their phones........ yet cant actually talk to people on them.

games.jpg

Not sure we can appeal to most of the younger crowd as most never developed the car-craze desire because their role models were not into cars, however there are a few young gear heads, that dont drive clapped-out lowered civics and actually work on their cars.

I quit following NASCAR a while back and never gave them a glance when they started with the fake truck bodies on the same chassis. When I lived in WI, I used to go to the IMSA, ALS and GT races at Road America. with newer car technology, I may have to get back to it...... especially if they can turn both right and left

Attachments

• meme_hotwheels.jpg
    meme_hotwheels.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
We visited the Wisconsin Auto Museum in April. Very nice and as you probably know there is a nice display dedicated to Al Kuwicki. A really smart guy.
I am probably the oldest surviving Go Kart racer in the New Orleans area who started racing in 63 in A Fox/Mc8. My 2 brother in laws raced it in the Briggs class and I had my son in it with a pillow so he could reach the pedals. I sold my Birel/80 cc Honda shifter 2 years ago.
There is a serious road course Kart rental track here called NOLA Motorsports that has ungoverend 9hp Hondas that hit 45 on the straightaway. I go there to be the “Geezer” who is passing everybody.