Good night Dad

southkogs

Staff member
A lot of you have suffered loss in the last year or two. I can think of several members who've lost loved ones, fathers, mothers and wives. I've known my time was coming. And yesterday about 3PM Eastern, I lost Dad.

I've been traveling up to Michigan an awful lot since last April. Dad is a cancer (VERY aggressive lung cancer) survivor from 2008, but last April he was diagnosed pre-leukemia (which we had known was possibly going to happen at some point). And for most of this year, he's been in and out of the hospital, rehab and various home cares. Mom wound up his primary care giver and there was lot to do to stay in the fight to see if we could beat it out again. Starting in September, things started going a little more down hill and by early November he was home on hospice.

Through the whole of it, Dad was never down beat. He admitted to being scared to go through the process of dying, but he wasn't afraid of being dead. We think he wrestled with realizing he was indeed dying, but he was honestly never really sad or depressed. Up until a week or so ago, when he wasn't worn out he could really even joke around and hold a little bit of a conversation. It was a tough road to walk with him, but it really could have been a lot worse. No real pain, no substantial suffering.

I could tell you a lot of stories about him. He's really an amazing guy. As a kid we did it all: sailed boats, flew airplanes, shot guns, fished, did a little exploring and found every opportunity to laugh. That stayed true as we all grew up. He loved having a family around him, and he's always the most content when he can see the whole herd of us gathered together. He's a man of incredible confidence, and if he believes he's right he can stand all alone, on a limb, face to the wind, and not even wince. Every value I can think of, I can find exemplified in my Dad. And he loved my mom for over 54 years.

Loss on one hand for sure. I'm gonna' miss him. - - Whomever you think of, go hug 'em. Take every minute you can. Don't waste one. But, I'm grateful for the time we had here. We'll be together again someday, just like he is with his mom and dad and grandparents.

I remember him saying, when we buried his mom, "Goodnight Mom." So, I'll say the same thing. "Good night, Dad. I'll see you some morning."

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
S'kogs, sorry for your loss. Would like to say you get over it, however you wont..... you can only get used to missing them.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Our Dad left this planet years ago. Sounds like with us, he'll be with you all the time (we often say to each other "that was a Dad-ism"). Yes, I miss him every day, but he is part of us - even see it in the young ones

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So sorry to hear this .. I lost my father a while back and I do miss him a lot .
Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family ....

JPO 1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So sorry for your loss, but he lives through your memories .

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks y'all. It's been a hard few days - making funeral arrangements is an awful process as far as I'm concerned, even when the folks at the home are incredible and kind.

Dad was a photographer so the last day or two has been looking through photographs. Both shots of him and by him. Sad and a little hard, but it's been fun going back through them, remembering and even being surprised by some stuff I hadn't seen. More of that today.

He does live, in many different ways. Am gonna' miss him though. Many things I do, and we do as a family, are tied to him.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sorry for your family's loss Erik, The Admiral & I send our condolences.

I am thankful her father passed as quickly as he did, even though it was a couple days before her birthday.

southkogs

Staff member
Thank you all. Been a busy few days. Lots of collecting, planning and preparing. Today was interesting pouring through photos to get some of Dad. We have photography everywhere. Dad was a pro, and of course Mom likes to record EVERYTHING, so we have all kinds of photographs. Had a good time today - not without bawling a bit here and there - digging through some of Dad's work. Found a few series that I didn't even know he did, and then looked through a lot of stuff that's real familiar but impresses me every time. Might need to do a show of his work sometime.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
It is a tough loss for all. I lost my biological dad about 20 years ago and my step dad who raised me about 4 years ago. I still think of them all the time and my mom too who I lost 2 years ago.

I hate funerals because as bad as you feel there is always someone with their hand out.

Take things at your own pace and support the family. If you need to talk.....call me.

Be strong and be safe.

Deepest condolences.

Bob & Jenn

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Our deepest condolences to you and your family. We lost Dad this past April just 4 days past his 92nd birthday and Mom a year ago August at age 86. Basically Dad was never sick a day in his life. What gets me past his loss is knowing he lived a healthy, full and most importantly a happy life. Cherish the time you had with him rather than mourn the time you no longer will.