Tis better to ask forgiveness....

64osby

Admiral
:eek: So my 01 Suburban has been giving birth to needle bearings the last two oil changes.

It has been a great vehicle. Bought it for $2,300 four or five years ago. Had 141K and the standard Michigan rust. It is now up to 198K. Put new tires, shocks, breaks and one bearing into it. The interior is still in very good shape. The rockers and the rear quarters are shot. It doesn't owe me a dime.

Upon showing the needle bearing to my mechanic, his advice was drive it until .....:faint2:

Being a little proactive. :facepalm: I decided to replace our tow vehicle... ...without the Admirals permission.

2013 F150 Ecoboost.jpg

2013 F150 Ecoboost Supercab Lariot, 3.31, 4x2, 110K. Rated to tow up to 9,500, actual will be about 9,200. Has most all the bells and whistles, rust free and no check engine lights.

So now I'm asking forgiveness. .:cold:

It was an auction purchase. So far I picked up two replacement tires, 1 rim, 1 fog light, waiting on a HID headlight and a tail light. Will have the the front end aligned next week.

Also picked up a Pace Edwards Switchback Metal retractable tonneau cover for $100 that was put on today.:joyous:

After all is said and done, vehicle, auction fees, taxes, title, registration, plate and repairs the total is under $10K. Hoping my better half will soon realize this was a good deal and I will not be sleeping in the camper or the Starcraft that this will tow. :eek:

Attachments

• 2013 F150 Ecoboost.jpg
    2013 F150 Ecoboost.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can't sleep in the Mariner. It has no doghouse! :faint:

Wonder where the needles came from? Auto tranny is full of them as I once found out when changing the filter and ATF, but not a motor.

Nice lookin' F-150. Good luck on sleeping quarters. :lol:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
picked up a Pace Edwards Switchback Metal retractable tonneau cover for $100 that was put on today:
Let me know how it works out, more importantly how well does it seal.

We have the OE tri-fold on our Supercrew. Works ok, but somewhat of a pain getting things in and out.

64osby

Admiral
Let me know how it works out, more importantly how well does it seal.

We have the OE tri-fold on our Supercrew. Works ok, but somewhat of a pain getting things in and out.

Still have to get the drain tubes from the old owner. With yesterdays rain and today's snow I'm sure to have water in the bed. I don't expect it to be entirely water proof until the drain tubes are on and I do some foam tape work in the front corners.

Thinking the vinyl should be sealed also, when installing yesterday it was sprinkling and I saw water drops on the bottom of the aluminum supports.

The slide seems nice, but wondering how snow and ice will effect it. My main goal was just to keep the snow out of the bed for the winter.

They are pretty spendy new, this one lists for about $1K. I was really looking at hard panel tri-folds but could not find a good deal on a used one.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Nice that its a supercab,me I personally dislike the full 4 doors.Ihad a aftermarket soft trifold on my 03 f150 supercab and it sealed excellent.It was on sale for 350cnd.at the time where every other one was 500 plus.Never owned a eco-boost,do they require premium or?

tpenfield

Staff member
Nice wheels . . .

I guess it would be hard to ask permission if you found yourself at an auto auction, since you really don't know if you are buying it until the auctioneer says "SOLD . . . ' :D

I hope the 'begging for forgiveness' goes well.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Still have to get the drain tubes from the old owner. With yesterdays rain and today's snow I'm sure to have water in the bed. I don't expect it to be entirely water proof until the drain tubes are on and I do some foam tape work in the front corners.

Just take a Philips screwdriver and poke some holes in the bed. It's aluminum no? But it's military grade aluminum whatever that is. I'm a Chevy guy. My fantastic wife bought me a brand spankin' new 4X4 crew cab Chevy Silverado right off the lot in November of 2011. I have 160,000 kilometers on her now, the truck not the wife. That's 99,200 miles for those in England and the USA. My maintenance so far is brake pads, a battery , a fuel sensor for 100 bucks and oil and filter every 10,000 kilometers. Oh and the truck bed is made of steel, Canadian steel. I don't need to lay a 12" of foam under pad in it if I want to throw a few 6X6's in it or a box of fishing tackle. edit: just thinking if it's aluminum it can't rust. Seal it and fill it with water and you have a swim spa if indeed it is aluminum.

64osby

Admiral
If my kids were still in HS a Super Crew would have been required. Now that they are in college not necessary. The Supercab will work just fine for the Admiral, me and the dog.

The 3.5 will run on just about anything, Ford states 87 is just fine, will also run on E85 and many will run Premium 92 or 93 when towing heavy loads.

I put 89 in for the first tank just in case the little that was in it had been sitting for a while.

64osby

Admiral
A Ford? A Ford! For owners to repair daily, FORD.

I had always heard Fix Or Repair Daily, or Found On Road Dead.:eek:

This one still has the good old standard steel bed, just need to figure out where the drain holes are under the drop in liner.

Had 2 Ford 7.3's in the late 90's. Good work trucks, tons of miles. Pretty much had Chevy's since then, have had good luck with them.

I've been looking for about a year. GM tow capacity is too low in a 1500 truck that I choose to afford. Gave up buying new in 1991 after putting 201,000 in three years on a van

The 5.3 is a dog compared to this 3.5. Daily driver mileage should be much better then a 6.0 or a Hemi.

Most any truck around here that has around 100K they are asking $15 to 20K and come pre rusted. Don't need new and shiny, just need it to get around and tow when I want.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never owned a eco-boost,do they require premium or?
Yes and No.
The EcoBoost has Octane Adjust Ratio (OAR) which adjustes the ECU based on octane levels.

I get better fuel mileage using 93 than 87octane, particularly when towing

64osby

Admiral
Nice wheels . . .

I guess it would be hard to ask permission if you found yourself at an auto auction, since you really don't know if you are buying it until the auctioneer says "SOLD . . . ' :D

I hope the 'begging for forgiveness' goes well.

Thanks. Online Auction while sitting on the couch downstairs can still give you the auction fever.:facepalm:

Never said anything about begging. Asking is the preferred term.;) We actually took it for a ride yesterday. The Admiral didn't say anything good or bad. So things are improving.:D