Alternate Endings, 6 New Ways to Die in America

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There is a documentary out there called "Alternate Endings, 6 New Ways To Die in America" It has made me think. When I was a kid one passed through this life and was buried 6 feet underground or put into a wall. Cremation was a rarity. Celebrations of life parties were rare, unless you were a good Irishman. Today people are thinking outside the "box" (sorry for the unintended pun). Besides the question of one being in control of their own destinies as far as the end of life is concerned many are coming up with unique send offs and internments. Many are having parties with loved ones and friends telling them "I will be dying this coming Tuesday morning Joe." Talk about a surprise party. Some interments are unique like being sent into outer space on Satellites, if one can afford it. I was thinking about being cremated and spreading the ashes amongst my favorite fishing spots. I considered having my ashes put into the top of a Blast Furnace or sent out onto the Internet. Haven't figured the interweb one out yet. Kids are buried in coffins made to look like The Bat Mobile, painted with images of their favorite Super Heroes or sports figures. Some are buried in their favorite car or truck in the back 40 of the farm.

How would you like to go out?

A side note. If the human body is 80% water and it is cremated the funeral director gives a small urn of ashes to the survivor, maybe a pound. 20% of a 200 lb. person is 40 lbs. where's the rest go? I worked for a bit in the refractory industry. We visited a crematorium as they were experiencing damage to the lining of the furnace. I asked what temperature do they reduce the oven to before they scrape out the ashes and for how long before the oven is cleaned out 100%. I was shocked to learn that the oven isn't cleaned out 100% after every body is cremated. That urn most likely contains the remains of more than 1 person. Oh my!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im being cremated and having my ashes dumped down the intake of a running engine to see the combustion process first hand. I have specified that it must be a rental and to remove the air filter.

at work we make systems for cremation. the exhaust stack systems, as well as the dust collection / bone grinder station.

after youre pulled from the oven, you still have "chunky bits" your remains are poured into a bone grinder which looks like an industrial Cuisinart and the rest is pulverized.

Tyme2fish

Commander
With all these zombie shows and Walking Dead I'm taking no chances that I'll come back and kill a loved one.
Cremation for me.

sam60

Captain
Went to a funeral/cremitoriom place a couple of weeks ago. They will use the coffee can that family brings in. I'll be in a bag inside of that. I want the remains of my old GS dog and I dumped around HIS fence line. Pals forever.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
im being cremated and having my ashes dumped down the intake of a running engine to see the combustion process first hand. I have specified that it must be a rental and to remove the air filter/QUOTE]

There's a engine rebuild needed. It's not going to be a Marine engine?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
A side note. If the human body is 80% water and it is cremated the funeral director gives a small urn of ashes to the survivor, maybe a pound. 20% of a 200 lb. person is 40 lbs. where's the rest go?

The water evaporates. The remainder....i.e. the 20% burns....soft tissue and organs. How much ash is left after a dry piece of seasoned hardwood burns? About the same.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
The admiral and I were just talking about this. Cremation for us, and we found a company that turns the ashes into those new high tech laboratory man made diamonds. There is enough carbon in the remains to make quite a few. It is a little easier to display a diamond than ashes. We will have some sort of trinkets made up and pass them to the kids.

They keep us up at night enough they aren't getting rid of us that easy

dwco5051

Commander
Cremation for us, and we found a company that turns the ashes into those new high tech laboratory man made diamonds. There is enough carbon in the remains to make quite a few. It is a little easier to display a diamond than ashes. We will have some sort of trinkets made up and pass them to the kids.

My wife's aunt had this done with her ashes. Her daughter had ear rings and her son got a tie tac. I said to my wife after we saw them that I knew her cousin for 40 some years and I never saw him wear a tie and I don't think he even owned one.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The water evaporates. The remainder....i.e. the 20% burns....soft tissue and organs. How much ash is left after a dry piece of seasoned hardwood burns? About the same.

Are we talking Apples to Oranges Tim? 20% carbon is 20% carbon. A 200 pound person is 40 lbs of carbon, soft tissue or bone. A small portion of the carbon will be expelled in the atmosphere as CO and CO2, how much I have no clue. A dry piece of seasoned wood is about 30% water 70% carbon. So 70% of that log is left in the fire pit minus the CO and CO2. ?????

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I want to be composted. It's the new environmentally friendly thing to do. Besides my wife keeps telling me I'm full of

fertilizer....

Unless I'm terminal then I'll have a boating accident and go out viking style.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’ve given some thought to this but still undecided . Not that it will make much difference..
Not really wanting to be put in a box in the ground but I do want a New Orleans Jazz procession ..
Maybe if cremated just mix me in some marine varnish and put it on an antique CC restoration .
Or mix in some poly resin to fillet in some stringers or something ...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
On yeah wife knows, and is in my will, a NOLA street band and subsequent party.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Are we talking Apples to Oranges Tim? 20% carbon is 20% carbon. A 200 pound person is 40 lbs of carbon, soft tissue or bone. A small portion of the carbon will be expelled in the atmosphere as CO and CO2, how much I have no clue. A dry piece of seasoned wood is about 30% water 70% carbon. So 70% of that log is left in the fire pit minus the CO and CO2. ?????

No.
Wood is mostly cellulose which combusts to CO2.
From observation there is maybe 5% by weight ash left after burning a log (probably less) ....the rest goes up the chimney.

aspeck

Staff member
Wife and I are meeting with the funeral director on Friday to solidify our plans and prepay them so that is done and out of the way and the kids don't have to worry about it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wife and I are meeting with the funeral director on Friday to solidify our plans and prepay them so that is done and out of the way and the kids don't have to worry about it.

that is sound advice

make sure to pick out the markers while your at it