Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Alternate Endings, 6 New Ways to Die in America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

Are we talking Apples to Oranges Tim? 20% carbon is 20% carbon. A 200 pound person is 40 lbs of carbon, soft tissue or bone. A small portion of the carbon will be expelled in the atmosphere as CO and CO2, how much I have no clue. A dry piece of seasoned wood is about 30% water 70% carbon. So 70% of that log is left in the fire pit minus the CO and CO2. ?????
    No.
    Wood is mostly cellulose which combusts to CO2.
    From observation there is maybe 5% by weight ash left after burning a log (probably less) ....the rest goes up the chimney.
    You know that you are a very poor driver when Siri says : "In 1/4 mile pull over and let me out...."

Comment

I do know some people who's head is primarily wood therefor cellulose.
      Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Told the admiral many years ago I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered in the Caribbean between St Croix and St Thomas USVI. It will be my final SCUBA dive
        - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

Wife and I are meeting with the funeral director on Friday to solidify our plans and prepay them so that is done and out of the way and the kids don't have to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by aspeck View Post
            Wife and I are meeting with the funeral director on Friday to solidify our plans and prepay them so that is done and out of the way and the kids don't have to worry about it.
            that is sound advice

make sure to pick out the markers while your at it
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That's a good thing you are doing. Mom and Dad did the same thing and they both passed within 8 months of one another recently. It was a big stress off my 2 brothers and myself knowing it was all taken care of. They did it 25 years ago, the cost would be double today. They went into a wall. I don't know about that. I'm claustrophobic, no box and no wall or ditch for me.

My wife want's a Viking funeral. I said no problem but not using my boat. Then she reminded me who's name is on the registration.Then I reminded her she wouldn't know if she was on a boat or a sheet of plywood.
              Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

We did the same a couple of years ago. When we met with the rep from the cremation place he came to our home and we already had invited the kids that live close down too so everybody knew what was up. $1200 each, they come pick us up anywhere in the state and mail the ashes back in a "Tupperware" container.

Before I remarried my plan was for burial at sea. I was going to specify that every Chief Petty Officer from the engineering division would have to be in the Honor Platoon at the services. That way at least someone would be sorry at my passing. I can just see 6 or 8 Chiefs having to change out of their wash khakis or coveralls into the service dress uniform for the ceremony and I could imagine them grumbling to each other "I have no idea who that old Chief was but I sure wish he wouldn't have died."
                The last suit you wear won't need any pockets. You might as well spend it on a boat.

Comment

That sounds depressing.
                  I like the one guys idea of being mixed with his dog.
                  "Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie” –Cookie Monster

Comment

Originally posted by sloopy View Post

That sounds depressing.
                    I like the one guys idea of being mixed with his dog.
                    Actually not depressing at all. Death is a part of life and the easier we can make it on our loved ones, the better. One less worry. All done. Party time!

Comment

Working...
                    X