Living on a boat in the Gulf

alldodge

Staff member
My Sister has a 50 something Yacht and has been living on it in Louisville for couples years, trying to sell it. She has now decided to drive the boat to the Gulf and live there. Still has not mentioned where in the Gulf but only her route will be from the Ohio river, to Cumberland, KY, Tenn Tom to Mobile AL.

Planning to make the trip in around October. Getting there should be easy enough, but I'm thinking she needs to do some more planning, with where, and if a hurricane comes in where you going to go to secure the boat.

Any of you guys that live around the area can provide any info, do's, don'ts other things?

Gracie.jpg

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I have made the trip down the Tombigby to mobile and then over to the Manatee River. Usually no big deal November till May or June, after that the insurance cost goes thru the roof. There are several books that are guides to give you routes and key information like marinas that sell fuel, do service etc. Does she have a good chart plotter, radio, radar, and the ability to operate the boat in difficult conditions? Does she have at a minimum of 1 preferably 2 people to go with as crew?

alldodge

Staff member
I've been from Louisville to Pickwick MS and back on my Rinker, was a good ride.

Everything is working on the boat including radar and chart plotter. Will be getting up to date charts from the COE prior to going. The boat takes a minimum of 3 deck hands and a captain. The boat is 6 feet off the water and drafts around 4 feet.

Have been asking on THT and some good info out there. Was just given the Trawler Forum link and it appears to be well suited for this area

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I have no helpful feedback to offer, but I would love to have this problem!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I dont know the Mobile Abalama area

however if its like the Tampa Bay area or the ICW here. have towing insurance as the published charts are a suggestion and you may need to get the boat pulled off of something.

southkogs

Staff member
It might be worth it to go in to New Orleans and scout that area out a little bit. I was AMAZED at the commercial traffic when I flew in there this year. It looked like there were ships everywhere; anchored, movin', towin', you name it.

I have no idea what the route of choice is coming out the Mississippi into the Gulf ... but there's a lot of traffic around there.

alldodge

Staff member
It might be worth it to go in to New Orleans and scout that area out a little bit. I was AMAZED at the commercial traffic when I flew in there this year. It looked like there were ships everywhere; anchored, movin', towin', you name it.

I have no idea what the route, of choice is coming out the Mississippi into the Gulf ... but there's a lot of traffic around there.

The mouth of the Miss is always busy and I would only go that route if forced into it. I like the Tenn Tom route much better

and my boat is in the water

The boat looks great and taking so long, wonder if its a photo shop moment :rolleyes:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
You have to go to Bobby's fish camp last stop for fuel for a 120 miles to Mobile. Interesting place.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Your Sister has bigger Corleone's than I do, that's for sure. Isn't October Hurricane time? It was when I had a place in Charoltte Harbour Fla. I never saw a real deal Hurricane, a Tropical Storm was all I needed to see to convince me that I didn't want to live on a boat down south any longer. Wishing her luck and a safe harbour in a storm.

alldodge

Staff member
From day to day she can change her mind, but so far this is what she is talking about, doesn't want to live thru another cold winter

Scott Danforth

Staff member
AD, have her boat down to the keys..... specifically Islamorada.... head south about November (chances of storms are near 0) and return back north come May. then visit her this winter, and invite me down for Conch fritters and grilled Tilapia with some beer from Islamorada Beer Company.... :D

alldodge

Staff member
AD, have her boat down to the keys..... specifically Islamorada.... head south about November (chances of storms are near 0) and return back north come May. then visit her this winter, and invite me down for Conch fritters and grilled Tilapia with some beer from Islamorada Beer Company.... :D

I like it :D

She hasn't retired yet, so needs to work, but guess could see if there are jobs (X-ray tech) that she could pick up

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Plenty of X-ray techs needed...... Florida is Gods waiting room..... there is also the sealilfe clinics

robert graham

Admiral
The St. John's River over on the Atlantic side could offer better protected live aboard opportunities....say from Palatka South to the Sanford area....and it's not saltwater...very beautiful area!....