Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Any WWII History Students

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any WWII History Students

I found this photo in my previous belongings after he passed. He was post S.Maj. in the canal Zone during much of the war and was a photography buff. The original I have he enlarged to 10 X 14 inches. I have been trying to identify the 3 officers in the car. The one in the back on the passenger side is easy. The auto is a 1942 Cadillac I think since that body style went to a chrome stone guard on the front of the rear fender. The flag on the front is too furled to count the stars. I also have a feeling that one may be Navy rather than Army. I won't say who I think the three are because it may prejudice the I.D.
    The last suit you wear won't need any pockets. You might as well spend it on a boat.

It looks like it could be Macarthur, Eisenhower and Billy Mitchell

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ike Picture003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	10737762
      The last suit you wear won't need any pockets. You might as well spend it on a boat.

Comment

Guy up front passenger side looks a little like Hap Arnold.

Comment

If you want a definitive answer, the Staff Historian at the USMA could help.
          You know that you are a very poor driver when Siri says : "In 1/4 mile pull over and let me out...."

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Frank View Post
            If you want a definitive answer, the Staff Historian at the USMA could help.
            Thanks, I never thought of that. Did find an address for the history dept there and sent info to them. On a side note playing with the photo on the computer I blew up the holsters on the MP's and they look like they were designed for old army Colt revolvers and had rags stuffed in them and were otherwise empty. Having stood quarterdeck watches with either an empty holster or a 1911 minus a magazine that doesn't surprise me. Back in the mid 50's I spent many hours on the drill field with a 1903 Springfield without a firing pin.

Comment

I see at least 4 stars?.Full general .

Comment

Originally posted by 82rude View Post
                I see at least 4 stars?.Full general .
                Probably. The man in back seat passengers side I am close to 100% sure is Dwight Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by dwco5051 View Post

Probably. The man in back seat passengers side I am close to 100% sure is Dwight Eisenhower
                  99.5% sure that is Ike in the passenger side in the rear.

Comment

And another good example of why if you think a photo is noteworthy or special (and even if you don't ) it is a great idea to write the names of individuals on the back. Otherwise, once there is no living-link, the info may be gone.

I do a lot of family history research and am constantly frustrated at the number of family members and friends in old photos will never be identified.... or will require heroic efforts to ID.

That one is certainly a treasure! Good luck.
                    You know that you are a very poor driver when Siri says : "In 1/4 mile pull over and let me out...."

Comment

Billy Mitchell died in 1936, so he's definitely not in the photo.

Comment

I sent a copy to the archivist at Carlisle Barracks and he confirmed today that it is Generals Eisenhower and Wainwright in the back seat but he could not positively ID the front seat passenger, He also confirmed that it was the 5 star flag on the car so that narrows the time frame. The time would be 1945 to 1947 since Wainwright was in a Japanese prison camp till the end of the war. Since Gen Wainwright was at Fort Sam Houston after the war I have a feeling that is where the picture might of been taken. More research now on my part.

Comment

Interesting reading.

Comment

IKE was made a general of the army (5 star) on 20 December 1944.HAP on 21 December of 1944.Marshall and Mac also in dec 44.Bradely in 1950

Comment

Originally posted by 82rude View Post
                              IKE was made a general of the army (5 star) on 20 December 1944.
                              Correct, but General Wainwright was a Japanese POW until the end of the war. He was the highest ranking serviceman to have been captured in WWII.

Comment

Working...
                              X