2019 Nascar - Phoenix - Race #4

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The West Coast swing continues at Phoenix this week. No Trucks, just X-Men and Cup will be making the left turns.

We only have 36 teams on the Cup entry list so no Qdrama this week. :smile: Weather shouldn't be an issue either, with the Sun partly hiding behind clouds and no rain until Monday.

ISM Raceway Schedule of Events

All Times Eastern (Local Time 2 Hours Behind)
Friday, March 8
Monster Energy Cup Series First Practice: 1:35 p.m.-2:25 p.m. (MRN/NASCAR.com)
Xfinity Series First Practice: 3:05 p.m.-3:55 p.m. (FS1)
Xfinity Series Final Practice: 5:05 p.m.-5:55 p.m. (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Qualifying: 6:10 p.m. (MRN/FS1)
Saturday, March 9
Monster Energy Cup Series Second Practice: 11:35 a.m.-12:25 p.m. (MRN/FS1)
Xfinity Series Qualifying: 12:40 p.m. (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Final Practice: 2:05 p.m.-2:55 p.m. (MRN/FS1)
Radio Pre-Race: 3:30 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: (FS1)
Xfinity Series iK9 Service Dog 200: 4:00 p.m. (MRN/FS1)
Sunday, March 10
Radio Pre-Race: 2:30 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: 3:00 p.m. (FOX)
Monster Energy Cup Series TicketGuardian 500: 3:30 p.m. (MRN/FOX)

News and Notes
  • Finally - Nascar is looking at starting the West Coast swing right after Daytona. Atlanta will move to a later date and it's about time. Early February weather in Atlanta is too iffy and cold for racing. Promos for this years race used the summer film from several years ago when Atlanta had 2 races. False advertising! :eek:
  • Jayski's may return in some form. Nothing is set in stone and may not happen.
  • Penalties - Only two cars with lugnuts loose or missing in post-race Vegas inspections.
  • Ooops - One of the big Nascar team (Ganassi/Larson) and X-Race (this week) sponsors DC Solar, has filed for bankruptcy following FBI charges of operating a Ponzi scheme. This is why iK9 Service Dogs is the race sponsor for Saturday's X-Race.
  • The Cup awards show is moving from Vegas to Nashville beginning this December.
  • There is a lot of Twitter fallout over the new rules package used at Vegas. I thought it was rather boring because the drivers were not comfortable and didn't take many chances to get in the dirt and race. Losing 200 HP didn't help. This week we're back to 750 horses with the larger tapered spacer.
  • TV Ratings - Went up a tenth of a point over last year. 2.9 vs 2.8 last year. Viewership also improved from last year.

iBoats Fantasy Live
  • Got our third iFL winner in three races. 64osby took home the hardware and/or wheel chock. Congrats, 64. :first:
  • Sam60 is still the overall leader.
  • Pole locks at 6:05PM tomorrow

Good luck,

The Humpster

64osby

Admiral
Love them wheel chocks. :lol:

I thought the drivers raced well, no runaway, there was passing and it all wasn't determined by who made it out of the pits first.

sam60

Captain
I think the time difference between EDT and Local track time will be different for the Fri/Sat schedules than the Sunday schedule, but I've wrong many times in the past. ;) I'm sure the time changes for us states that still have to deal with that foolish law have already been taken into consideration...maybe.

GA_Boater

We'll have to see how many miss the drivers meeting. Or will they show up early? :confused:

I don't think Arizona changes time. I think they figured out that moving dials or numbers on a clock doesn't change how many hours of daylight or darkness occur.

First and only Cup practice before qualifying kicks off at 1:30 or 12:30 or 11:30 or 10:30 or 9:30 or 8:30. You work out AM or PM. LOL

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No Daylight savings for AZ, they keep their time the same year around. The X men start practice at 1 PM Mountain time today, which is noon West Coast and should be 3 on the east coast. Be glad they don't have a race in Hawaii, you would really be messed up!

GA_Boater

Practice is done. With 750 HP and more down force, speeds were 3-4 MPH higher than last year. Blaney was fastest at 141.716, followed by Keso, Larson, Elliott, The Twerp, Johnson, Bowman, Jones, Truex and DiBenedetto to round out the top 10.

Talk is qualifying may see a new qualifying record, which is 143.158mph set by Johnson back in November 2015. The iFL pole locks at 6:05, using the appropriate time zone. :smile:

sam60

Captain
Practice is done. With 750 HP and more down force, speeds were 3-4 MPH higher than last year. Blaney was fastest at 141.716, followed by Keso, Larson, Elliott, The Twerp, Johnson, Bowman, Jones, Truex and DiBenedetto to round out the top 10.

Talk is qualifying may see a new qualifying record, which is 143.158mph set by Johnson back in November 2015. The iFL pole locks at 6:05, using the appropriate time zone. :smile:

I've always liked the PHX races. I hope it is
good this year and sure liked it better when it was called PIR. Time to pick a pole sitter soon...Wait, what time is it? lol.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I've always liked the PHX races. I hope it is
good this year and sure liked it better when it was called PIR. Time to pick a pole sitter soon...Wait, what time is it? lol.

Sam,

Qualifying is starting at 1 PM Hawaiian time!

:faint2:

GA_Boater

Pineapple Island Raceway.

That explains why Suarez and McDowell were heaving pineapples at each other. Apparently McDowell was sent out to take a Q-Run and he ended up in front of Suarez making a speed run. Suarez wasn't happy and charged McDowell on pit road. No pineapples were harmed during the incident, but the two drivers were tackled by opposing pit crews.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...g-ism-raceway/

And this is only the 4th race! LOL

Blaney took the pole with a speed of 141.287 - No record as predicted by some. The rest of the top 12 are Elliott, Hamlin, The Twerp, Keso, Bowman, Byron, Harvick, Truex, Jones, Hemric and Joey.

Finish your roster before the race - Locks at 3:40 PT*.

*Pineapple Time.

GA_Boater

Second Phoenix practice is over. The top 5 are Buescher, Blaney, Keso, Larson and The Twerp.

The final practice is coming up after X-Men qualify, a little after 2PM.

GA_Boater

Final practice top 5 - Joey, Blaney, Harvick, The Twerp and Almirola.

Roster locks at 3:40 tomorrow. Is Joey gonna take checkers again?

GA_Boater

The Twerp wins another X-Race. Second time this year he has shafted full time X-er's. :mad:

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Congrats Osby for the win last week...:thumb:

Four races and 4 different set ups on the cars...and I thought Nascar was trying to make things easier for the smaller teams that don`t have the $ ...:confused:

Good Luck today folks...:bump2: will we see another caution free race...?

GA_Boater

will we see another caution free race...?

Ah.................No. Nascar will throw at least two yella rags. :rolleyes: And Suarez and McDowell are starting side by side! LOL 8 is the average number of cautions at Phoenix.

All the cars passed pre-race inspection, so nobody to the back.

Green flag at 12:44:30 PT, 3:44:30 ET. I'm gonna check to see how close they come. I mean down to 30 seconds after the minute! :lol:

Heats 1 and 2 are 75 laps.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ah.................No. Nascar will throw at least two yella rags. :rolleyes: And Suarez and McDowell are starting side by side! LOL 8 is the average number of cautions at Phoenix.

All the cars passed pre-race inspection, so nobody to the back.

Green flag at 12:44:30 PT, 3:44:30 ET. I'm gonna check to see how close they come. I mean down to 30 seconds after the minute! :lol:

Heats 1 and 2 are 75 laps.

They are already late, just clicked to 1:45 my time

GA_Boater

Elliott takes the lead on the start. And get flagged for start violation, he beat Blaney across the line. A pass through for him.

Blaney leads through lap 7